E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:04 AM   #141
bernstem

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
I received your order and you should have the necessary tools now to properly treat and maintain your car. I think you'll be very happy with the polish because now you have the ability to spot treat things water marks, sap, rail dust, tar marks or even just brighten the paint. I also am a big fan of the FTG and FMJ combo, I think you'll be very impressed with the results. Thank you for your support and we'll be shipping the order out asap.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
I have been considering trying the FTG and FMJ combo. I haven't tried it yet because Zaino has worked quite well for me in regards to shine and brightness, but expecially in regards to durability. What is your impression of the durability of the FMJ? Will it approach the 6 months that Zaino gives?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-31-2005, 11:00 AM   #142
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW
how should one go about spoilers etc. when polishing/waxing? like these spots, wax must get caught and be hard to remove without scratching anything? (illustration picture borrowed from REVI's "Painted M3 Style Trunk Lip Spoiler" thread - hope you don't mind!)
I would recommend that you do these areas by hand very carefully. If you want to be sure not to wax those trim pieces tape them off. Take your time putting the tape on and try to make it as flush as possible with the edge. This will allow you to wax right til the edge and not leave behing any unsightly white marks on the black trim. When I do these areas I make sure not to use an excessive amount of wax that way there aren't large amounts of wax seeping out of the pad. These areas become easier to wax with practice and patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem
I have been considering trying the FTG and FMJ combo. I haven't tried it yet because Zaino has worked quite well for me in regards to shine and brightness, but expecially in regards to durability. What is your impression of the durability of the FMJ? Will it approach the 6 months that Zaino gives?

Thanks,

Mike
Menzerna is some Germany's finest car care products that have made a name for themselves by producing long lasting products that have brilliant results. The Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ) should last about six months but conditions can make that vary. Conditions such as: garaged, rain, snow, amount driven, preperation of paint before application make it hard to compare durability. However assuming you take good care of the car and the surface is well prepared it should last six months. I think you'll be very happy with FMJ and it's durability. If you try both products I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the two products.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #143
bernstem

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
I would recommend that you do these areas by hand very carefully. If you want to be sure not to wax those trim pieces tape them off. Take your time putting the tape on and try to make it as flush as possible with the edge. This will allow you to wax right til the edge and not leave behing any unsightly white marks on the black trim. When I do these areas I make sure not to use an excessive amount of wax that way there aren't large amounts of wax seeping out of the pad. These areas become easier to wax with practice and patience.

Menzerna is some Germany's finest car care products that have made a name for themselves by producing long lasting products that have brilliant results. The Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ) should last about six months but conditions can make that vary. Conditions such as: garaged, rain, snow, amount driven, preperation of paint before application make it hard to compare durability. However assuming you take good care of the car and the surface is well prepared it should last six months. I think you'll be very happy with FMJ and it's durability. If you try both products I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the two products.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
I have a friend with some FMJ and FTG that I plan on trying. I'll let you know what I think (but it might take a few weeks before I get the time to put them on).
Old 07-31-2005, 08:41 PM   #144
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i
thanks Greg,

but my main concern is getting wax/polish etc. stuck in the area between the trunk and the trunk spoiler, and not being able to get it out. see the illustration picture below (borrowed from bimmerblvd's "ACS Style 3 Piece Trunk Lid Spoiler *PAINTED*" thread - hope you don't mind!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bimmerblvdacs3pc.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	137425  

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:06 PM   #145
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
thanks Greg,

but my main concern is getting wax/polish etc. stuck in the area between the trunk and the trunk spoiler, and not being able to get it out. see the illustration picture below (borrowed from bimmerblvd's "ACS Style 3 Piece Trunk Lid Spoiler *PAINTED*" thread - hope you don't mind!)
Am I overlooking the obvious? Wouldn't you just pop the trunk release to clean up any wax/polish between there? It also sounds like you are using way too much product if you are seeing gobs of polish and wax getting stuck. When we apply a sealant we use less than 1oz of product on a whole car, less is more when detailing! I know buffing pads can cake up at times and when they do we use a fine brush and some quick detailer spray to work the crevices and between trim. But if you take your time, tape off certain areas, you should be able to minimize any product getting stuck in places they should not be. I'd be happy to send you out a small detailing brush for $1 (just to cover our costs of shipping) or if you place an order with us, let us know and i'll throw one in. I'm sorry if I am not getting your question completely, the internet does have its downsides in communication.

Sincerely,

George

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:27 PM   #146
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

thanks George, you have good points there, and it might be me who is over-thinking this, but it's the lining where the spoiler meets the trunk i am thinking of. and such areas as where the sideskirts meets the rest of the body (places i can't access without removing parts of the bodywork). but i get your point about less is more, and i'll try to use just enough polish/wax to ensure it doesn't go into places i can't access.

i will surely place an order on your site, hopefully soon

always fast and great replies as always!

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
Old 07-31-2005, 10:40 PM   #147
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Smile

Quote:
thanks George, you have good points there, and it might be me who is over-thinking this, but it's the lining where the spoiler meets the trunk i am thinking of. and such areas as where the sideskirts meets the rest of the body (places i can't access without removing parts of the bodywork). but i get your point about less is more, and i'll try to use just enough polish/wax to ensure it doesn't go into places i can't access.

i will surely place an order on your site, hopefully soon

always fast and great replies as always!
No I know exactly what you mean now! I have been out of town the last couple days and missed the bottom of page 7 pic of the white BMW you posted. Greg's was handling the responses since then. That's why I didn't get when you asked about getting wax in that area of the black BMW trunk LOL. Sorry about that. I hope I didn't come off rude! If so I apologize. I re-read Gregs response and he is right about doing those area's by hand and once again, use a minimal amount of product.

What I do when I am detailing is spread the product around, initially when you put the biggest glob on your paint, put it in an area that has no creases or trim to get it on and spread from the middle of the blob out to the other areas of your 2' x 2' area or so. (I hope that made sense!) For example the hood. I would start somewhat in the middle where there are no creases between the hood and fenders and work my way out to the edges so you have minimal product on the pad and paint in those area's that can get lodged in there.

Hope that clears some things up a tad.

~ George

Old 07-31-2005, 10:56 PM   #148
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

thanks for the reply George i've learned so much about detailing just from this thread and my other one

Old 08-01-2005, 09:03 AM   #149
ajfulp

My Ride: 99 328i
anything i can do about the small rock chips on the hood of my black car??? would buffing with an agressive polish help?
ajfulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #150
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfulp
anything i can do about the small rock chips on the hood of my black car??? would buffing with an agressive polish help?
Once its thru the paint and down into the primer, there's nothing you can do but to repaint or touch up. Only thing a polish could help with is if there is white scuffs around the area of the chip, it may clean that up a tad.

George

Old 08-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #151
1999 TV Dinan M

My Ride: a car
Sticky This Thread!!!

Even though this remains at the top most of the time, it should still be a sticky..
1999 TV Dinan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #152
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999 TV Dinan M
Even though this remains at the top most of the time, it should still be a sticky..
I concur.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #153
CYBER PETE
Dinan Pimp

My Ride: 2006 Honda Ridgeline
Detailed Image,

Do you have any experiece with a product called Quickshine99 ?? It's advertised as a waterless wash/polish for all auto/boat surfaces. It will also get any tar or any other residue off of your car. http://www.quicshine.net/

About 10 years ago I had a car side swipe me and rub some paint on the door of my car and it wouldn't come off no matter what I put on it. I was at a car show and someone came along with a bottle of Quickshine99. He put it on the car and it took the smudged paint right off!

Do you know anything about this product and do you know if it's bad for your paint?

BTW great thread!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #154
Greg@DetailedImage.com

I have not used this product but it appears to be a quick detailer. Quick detailers are basically mixtures of soap and water that elminate the need for hoses and buckets. They can be very handy for touch ups and quick wipe downs. However I don't like to use them to clean an entire car. I think traditional soap in a bucket does a much better job of safely lifting the contamination up from the paint and letting it glide down the car instead of wiping it across the paint. This product seems to be promising a lot, to quote the webiste directly "It cleans waxes and protects all in one "quic" step". I'm not familiar with any product that can lift up and remove contamination and at the same time seal in protection in the paint without sealing in the contamination. I'm especially concerned if it's able to get rid of "tar" and it's also waxing my car. How can a product have such a strong cleaning solution but also give such strong polishing and waxing characterisitcs. I've always taken the time to remove all the contaminates from the car and then apply a wax to a clean surface. Again I haven't used this product but it seems way to good to be true. The website offered no breakdown of the products materials or other relevant information to explain how it waxes and washes in one step so I'd have to learn a lot more about the product before I would try it. If you try it please let us know what you think, I would be interested in learning more about the product.

Greg
Detailed Image - Owner
Old 08-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #155
aliusa

My Ride: ///M5
Eagle One's Wax As You Dry

Hi George,
First of all, I must say, you have been doing a marvelous job in answering everyone’s questions. Your answers are well detailed and make sense. I suggest you travel south and stay in each state for few days. I am sure you will find plenty of fanatics who would love to get their rides detailed from you. The results of your work are amazing.

I have a question regarding Eagle One’s product called ‘Wax As You Dry’. I have been using it for about 3 – 4 months. I usually skip one car wash (weekly) before using it again. So far I have not seen any damage to my paint, so my question to you is, should I continue using this product or is it supposed to be really harmful for my ’01 e46? Also, will it do any paint damage in the long run?

Thanks!

Mods: Eibach Prokit | RE 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers | Painted Reflectors | 35% Pinnacle FormulaOne Ceramic Tint | 6000K ProLumen Xenon Bulbs | 6000K ProLumen HID kit | Preditor Chromium DDE | ///M Headrest Inserts | CDV Removed | ACS Style Front Spoiler
aliusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #156
Detailed Image
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliusa
I have a question regarding Eagle One’s product called ‘Wax As You Dry’. I have been using it for about 3 – 4 months. I usually skip one car wash (weekly) before using it again. So far I have not seen any damage to my paint, so my question to you is, should I continue using this product or is it supposed to be really harmful for my ’01 e46? Also, will it do any paint damage in the long run? Thanks!
Hey Aliusa, first of all thanks for the kind words. As far as your Eagle One Wax As You Dry it should not cause damage to your paint while using. Are you getting the best possible wax protection and shine? No. Does it save time? Yes, it is nice for inbetween thorough details. I don't really like how you spray it on while the surface is wet though, I don't see how you can get enduring protection or an even application for that matter. I have only found 1 spray on wax that I stand by and that is Menzerna's High Gloss Acrylic Shield. It is used as a maintenance step inbetween coats of an Acrylic sealant such as Menzerna's FMJ or Klasse AIO which are typically applied 2-3x a year because of their enduring protection. With the HGAS you apply after washing and drying, not while the paint is still wet. The E1 will not damage the paint, but there is better out there!

Sincerely,

George Dushensky
Detailed Image - Owner

Old 08-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #157
PriMoPyRo

My Ride: E46 323i Sport
Im pissed... its been 90-95 degress here for the past 2 weeks! there is no shade in my driveway and the surface temp on my car is hitting 165+ degres! wut the heck am I going to do, not being about to test my new stuff is bothering me! even when hand washing, the water in the bucket gets hot from the sponge touching the car and so forth, its frekin crazy!

arg.....
PriMoPyRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #158
Detailed Image
Sponsor

It will be well worth the wait

Old 08-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #159
swimfish

My Ride: Honda Civic 1.7
Send a message via ICQ to swimfish Send a message via MSN to swimfish
Talking pc

hey george!
just wanted to know, do you ship orders outside the US?
ive been wanting to get a porter cable for a long time and
had asked everywhere else but none seems to be able to
ship them to Malaysia where i live. well most companies
wouldn't, so i guess i could try my luck here
swimfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #160
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriMoPyRo
Im pissed... its been 90-95 degress here for the past 2 weeks! there is no shade in my driveway and the surface temp on my car is hitting 165+ degres! wut the heck am I going to do, not being about to test my new stuff is bothering me! even when hand washing, the water in the bucket gets hot from the sponge touching the car and so forth, its frekin crazy!

arg.....
I can understand your frustration and there isn't much you can do. There are very simple pop up tents that you can buy easily for under $75 and some are even as low as $40. However it may take two tents to cover the whole car.