E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
yogo_jonzo

My Ride: 99 323i Orient Blue
Power Steering Hose Replacement

Hey guys I just got a call from the dealer saying that both my power steering lines are cracked and leaking. I searched the forum and could not find an DIYs for it.

If any of you have one or could send me the directions from the bently manual it would be greatly appreciated.

The dealer wanted 500 to replace them....

I dont think so!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
K:^P

My Ride: 00 323//65 Fastback
I had leaky hoses and just replaced the 3 OEM clamps (2 on top; 1 on bottom) with regular screw-on type. No more leaks.

e46fanatics helped me sooo much...
K:^P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
EDawg

My Ride: :/
yeah, it's probably just your clamps. i'd change those first to see if they cure the problem before i replace the hoses.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
///Mechanic

My Ride: None currently
Generally the only clamp that really leaks is the factory clamp on the suction tube on the pump. Thank GOD BMW has recognized this finally and renovated the clamp design. I would go with replacing at least that clamp first, before shelling out anymore money. Make sure to get a drain pan too........you are going to make a mess.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
EDawg

My Ride: :/
actually, at least on mine, the clamp directly underneath the resevoir for the hose that connects the resevoir to the cooling coil (or whatever you call it) was also faulty. you could see oil residue on the end of that hose, plus that hose could literally pivot around the base of the resevoir if you twist it. of course the leak there is not as bad as the one you are talking about, but that's most likely due to effects of gravity.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
ddobbins

My Ride: 323i
Just had the same call from my dealer ... $400 to replace the hoses. What is the best way to get at these clamps to replace them?
ddobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddobbins
Just had the same call from my dealer ... $400 to replace the hoses. What is the best way to get at these clamps to replace them?
$400 is way too expensive.

I recently had my hose (just two) and my power steering pump replaced.

I was about to do it myself but I found out it was covered under CPO warranty so I had the dealer replaced it for free.

I recommend that you PM //Mechanic so he can help you.

Basically the concept is simple. There are a serious of hose that connects your Power steering pump, power steering fluid reservior, and power steering rack. You just have to gain access to them and replace them. Gaining access is your biggest issue.

Hopefully this picture will provide some assistance

Last edited by ADA; 05-22-2006 at 12:08 PM.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
$400 must be the high pressure hose and tube assemblies!
Couldn't be just rubber hoses and clamps?
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

My Ride: E46
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer
$400 must be the high pressure hose and tube assemblies!
Couldn't be just rubber hoses and clamps?
It's all about the $100/hr labor charge.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:12 PM   #10
nEVERCLEAR

My Ride: 323
I have found that the best clapms are the ones made for the fuel system, they do not pinch the hose like the typical clamps used on American cars. They are sometimes called euro spec clamps. They are much cheaper at Autozone or Pepboys then paying 3-4 each at the dealer.

Some people dream of speed-others create a damn jet powered shopping cart.
Curious about VoIP and Vonage click here
nEVERCLEAR is offline   Reply With Quote