E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Exclamation ** Mid-Atlantic BMW Service Experiences**

By popular demand, this is a place where you can voice both good and bad experiences with local BMW service locations (dealers, private shops, individuals perhaps).

So post up your experiences, and maybe we can help local Fanatics find good salsepeople and mechanics (and avoid the bad ones!).

-Brendan

Last edited by Solidjake; 09-23-2012 at 03:47 AM.
simsima325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Just wanted to give Peyton at BMW of Fairfax a He was very helpful, and had no issues with my recent service on the Touring....
Old 07-21-2005, 11:31 PM   #3
kevmo

My Ride: vDubDizzle
Send a message via AIM to kevmo
crap.. i forgot which one i went to... i think it was *****... where i got my mtech.. and the no front lisense strip and my fogs... and some other stuff.. and he gave me the sweetest discount.. it was almost at cost cuz iw as talkin' to him so much about bimmers w00t

edit it was BMW SILVER SPRING!!!!!!!! i just got my receipt cuz curtis yelled at me

Last edited by kevmo; 07-21-2005 at 11:36 PM.
kevmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Thanks for that pointless message. SOMEONE did this for me, SOMEWHERE.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
Bmw of Fairfax is good They replaced a clutch in my E34 fast and did a great job. Didn't give me any BS either.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
UberBimmer
LETS GO RED SOX

My Ride: a beat up bimmer
Russell BMW has always treated me very well! their service department is excellent except for the fact you have to call 2+ times before anyone will pick up and you cant leave a message because they wont call you back but the car is done when they promise and the service people are friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4izzle View Post
i like heavy women. what's your name girl?
UberBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
I can't vouch for the service myself, but a coworker took his x3 to the BMW of Arlington Service center in Crystal City and they need some guidance. They changed his oil and left the cap off, when he finally noticed it oil was everywhere, he had to take it back and get it cleaned twice, the first time they did a crap job trying to clean his engine.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:09 PM   #8
edrock200

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to edrock200
I posted about my negative experience with BMW of Fairfax and positive experience with BMW of Sterling here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...7&postcount=12
Old 07-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
e46'd

My Ride: e46 M3
BMW of Fairfax has been solid for me everytime I have been there.
e46'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #10
edrock200

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to edrock200
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46'd
BMW of Fairfax has been solid for me everytime I have been there.
I think the biggest thing for me was the brakes, had I not decided to do them myself, I would have never known that they didn't need replacing (the front anyway.) I think a large part of it has to do with your advisor as well.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Got a top notch alignment after my coilover install at Pro Imports in MD. I wasn't that far off, which was surprising, but the car does feel better afterwards

$80, better deal than the stealerships and most other places.

BTW, as a side note, had Currys of Sterling do my brakes like 6 months back.... not professional guys there, I would avoid them at all costs

Last edited by simsima325; 06-29-2006 at 02:23 PM.
simsima325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:57 PM   #12
hangar9john

My Ride: 330i
Good Service at Russell BMW, Pro-Imports in Maryland

I recently purchased a pre-owned 2002 BMW 330i (sport package, premium package, 5 speed, titanium silver/black leather) from Advantage Certified in Manassas, Virginia. The car (13K miles) appears as new. The purchase was painless and straight-forward. They seem to know BMW's very well and have a nice stock of clean cars available. I was able to find just what I wanted. If they were closer to home, I might choose to have my car serviced there.

I took my car to Russell BMW (west side of Baltimore) for the iPod interface installation. Service advisor Cindy Hahn was friendly and helpful, as was everyone else at the dealership. Pricing was more than fair. Communication was outstanding and I felt I was treated well. There was a glitch with the installation and I had to return a second time to get it straightened out, but was given a BMW loaner while the work was done. I would not hesitate to return to Russell BMW.

By the way, I first called VOB BMW in Rockville, MD (closer to home) about the iPod interface install. I gave them the VIN number of my car and they said the interface would not work on my car. This is incorrect. Based on that call and a previous visit to the dealership while car shopping, VOB is not on my "preferred list."

I also should mention a positive experience at Northwest BMW in Reisterstown, Maryland. I went there a few weeks ago to test drive a pre-owned 330ci coupe. The sales staff was helpful and friendly and gave me plenty of time to drive the CI as well as a pre-owned 330i. The test drives helped me with the decision to look for the perfect 330i. As much as I wanted the coupe, I learned that the sedan, with a bit more headroom, was a better fit for me.

Finally, I'd like to put in a plug for Pro Imports, an independent shop in Gaithersburg, MD. I've had my VW Passat (1.8 Turbo, chipped) serviced there for the past few years and have always been impressed. The folks are friendly, honest, and knowlegeable. They specialize in BMW's, Audi's and VW's, but also work on Japanese imports. You will usually see a number of high performance cars in the shop - BMW's, VW GTI's, Audi S4's and so on. They do performance mods as well as regular service.
hangar9john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:42 PM   #13
xcelr8dbmw

My Ride: 2007 X5 4.8
kudos to Towson BMW

Bought my car there, CPO 330ci..i get free car washes for life, bmw loaners, very nice clean waiting room with free goodies..kinda pricey but for a little bit extra its worth it. plus if you bought your car there, you get priority service
xcelr8dbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:46 PM   #14
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
My service advisor at BMW of Sterling is Jim Eddy, good guy but the service manager is Brad he was a real nice guy and really knew his stuff i would def. recommend him the guy knew more than the mechanics did.
My dad took his car to arlington (5er in sig) a couple times for a drive shaft prob. His advisor (alex i think) was a good guy the mechanic was the rudest mother Fer i had ever met. The headlight assembly on his 5 was replaced with a brand new one and they forgot to put the little peice underneath it back on (good thing i went with my dad to pick it up, he wouldve never noticed something so little) I pointed it out to the mechanic and he was like its supposed to be like that, i was like really then y does the passenger side have it, hes like ok ill be right back. He gets in the car starts flooring it around the parking lot and all most hits another BMW which is leaving (god i wished he wouldve hit), he slammed on the brakes in the nick of time. Guy was a jerk. Sorry for my ranting but in the end i would recommend sterling above all

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:48 PM   #15
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
At BMW of Sterling the service manager there is a great guy, i had a prob with my LEDs and he came out to my car looked at it and told me he would personally take care of it. Very pleased with them, i take my car to them everytime and i am never going back to those crooks at fairfax. They charged me $130 to activate my alarm when it took them only 10 min.

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #16
BMWofDC

My Ride: 04 330Ci
I was looking to get either a 02 M3 or a 05 330Ci this summer. I saw on BMW of Fairfax's website that they had a 02 Silver M3 with like 26k miles. The price they quoted on the website was $44k, which is priced way over kelly bluebook. I called and spoke with Judy Palmore in their "certified used" department. I told her that the price seemed a bit high for an 02 and she happened to agree with me. She further said that she could probably bring it down a bit but I would need to come down to the dealership. So I go to the dealership and they let me test drive it and everything. Finally when it came down to the price, she says the best she can do is 43k.

I told her no way in hell I was paying 43k for an 02 M3, so he pulls the old "Let me talk to my manager" trick on me. She finally comes back with an offer of $42.5k, I told her that the max I was going to pay was $41k. $41k was still over my limit, I only wanted to spend a max of $40k. So she goes to talk to her manager again and says that they cannot let go of it for $41k. So I end up leaving the dealership and ended up buying a 330CI at VOB BMW.

Long story short.....3 weeks later, one of my co-workers, who was also in the market for an M3 went to Fairfax BMW. The same lady offered him the car for $38k !!! WTF! Apparently they had got the car a day or two earlier to my visit and they figured that they could sell it for more than $41k.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:34 AM   #17
Phat Ham

My Ride: m3
Send a message via AIM to Phat Ham
BMW of Arlington sucks donkey nutz. Their prices on parts are outrageous and their service advisors don't have a clue.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #18
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
It's interesting to see such good reviews about BMW of Sterling, because I've had nothing but bad experience with them.

First of all, I went there to pick up some parts to do the oil change service myself. One of the advisors (I think his name was Jay) asked me what I was doing, and then proceeded to explain that BMW would do it for me because I was still under warranty. I was sure that I wasn't under warranty, but Jay insisted that they would do the work free of charge.

Naturally, after having the service done, they worked up the bill. I was like excuse me, this was supposed to be covered according to Jay? Jay came out, realized his mistake, and asked me what I wanted to do. I was like what do you mean "What do I want to do?..I do NOT want to pay for this!" He finally let it go. However, I was charged for the clown-nose activation which many people have said they've gotten done for free at Sterling, and they also charged me like $2 per bulb for new bulbs in my front turn signals. I had asked them to replace my bulb sockets, and they claimed that my Silvervisions had caused the problem, which is why they were charging me. This was ridiculous, considering that there is nothing wrong with having Silvervisions, not to mention they SELL THEM at the dealer. I decided to just pay the $50 some that the bill came to, and also decided to never have work done at the dealer again.

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #19
E46325i998

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to E46325i998
For anyone who goes to Virginia Tech they know that Valley BMW is the only dealer in the New River Valley. I took the car in for inspection 1 and the dealer was very curteous and also gave me an 06 330i as a loaner(sweet ride by the way). Everything was done well and in a timely fashion. The only problem was the 60mile round trip but thats not really their fault.

I bought the car in September at BMW of Arlington. I think i got a pretty good deal. The General Manager for Pre-Owned sales Alex Macatuno is the father of one of my fraternity brothers so he gave me a couple grand more than any other dealership offered for my trade and took the price from 32k(outrageous) to 27K. After reading this i prolly wont go there for service though.
E46325i998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #20
PromethWill88

My Ride: 04 Dinan S M3
I frequent VOB BMW for repairs and maintence for my CPO. My service advisor Gint is curteous and respectful (after I dropped some names). First time I went in to see him he was ignoring me for the first couple of minutes while I stood by the foot of his desk. However, after putting my info and dropping my father and his buisness partner (both cars are under him), he treats me like a customer. I guess a 17 y/o kid walking in doesn't seemed right to him.

Anyway, out of the two times I had my service appointments, everything was fixed. I had a broken corner signal light with condensation buildup, I dropped it off at 3pm, expected to pick it up the next day, and Gint ended up calling me telling me the car was ready by 6pm. Not bad.

My personal verdict?

SALES DEPARTMENT = A+
SERVICE DEPARTMENT = B-/C+