E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #41
MikeL330

My Ride: 2004 330i SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mys2k2fast View Post
anyone know or heard of anything about the BMW dealership in Annapolis off of rt50
Don't trust them at all.....i used to take my 528 there for service and everytime they fixed something it would go wrong shortly after. That's why i started making the drive up to russell in baltimore, much better customer service. If i can avoid dealing with tate at all i do it.

-Mike

2004 330i SMG
1985 528e 5spd
MikeL330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #42
md4runner

My Ride: 2002 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL330 View Post
Russell BMW is the place i always go. Michelle Harris is probably the most helpful service manager i've ever done business with. I live near annapolis but instead of going to tate (which i think fixes cars so they need to come back), i drive up to baltimore for russell. The people there are awesome, and everytime i'm there the wash the car for free.
I took my wife's touring to Russell BMW, b/c the A/C would stop every so often...Dashboard lights indicated it was working, but nothing coming out of the blowers...Turns out the Final Stage Resistor needed to be replaced...Michelle Harris was a pleasure to deal with, and they gave us a loaner X3 for the night, since the touring is a CPO...We bought it from Tate, but since we live in Baltimore City, going to Russell is alot more convenient...So, thumbs up for Michelle and Russell!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #43
tynuskt1

My Ride: E46, MKIV, MKV, 993
The interior panel to my wife's moonroof is all f*cked up and off the track. I haven't taken her car to a dealer in probably a couple years at this point but I figure they are the only ones who can fix it. I work out in Reston, is Sterling BMW a good option?

Thanks.
tynuskt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #44
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Sterling is fine, but I'd only take it in to the dealer if you have warranty left. GL.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #45
tynuskt1

I definately don't have a warranty left but who else would you get to fix the sunroof?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #46
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Search the DIY forum here, I think there is a DIY for the moonroof sunshade fix
Old 10-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #47
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tynuskt1 View Post
I definately don't have a warranty left but who else would you get to fix the sunroof?
I take my car to a shop out in manassas called Auto Advantage. They specialize in the sale of pre-owned BMW's and have an awesome service shop. The head tech there is very cool and he is mod friendly. They also give free loaner vehicles. Maybe give them a shot?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #48
tynuskt1

Thanks I'll give them a call.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #49
PromethWill88

My Ride: 04 Dinan S M3
Russell BMW has been one of the better dealerships I have had the pleasure to visit. Compared to VOB in Rockville, Russell is a step up in quality of service and customer service.

First, I took my car in a couple months back unannounced because of a brake squeaking issue and a sunroof shade. The SA gracefully took the car that day and got the issues fixed under warranty in a short 3 days (parts had to be ordered). End result was both my front brakes (disks, caliphers, pads, senors, etc.) all replaced with new parts as well as my entire moonroof cassette, a job that would total a grand if not under warranty.

I am very pleased with the service especially I went in without an appointment. The waiting room is a nice touch compared to no seating at VOB.

Today, I went into make a oil change appointment for the following week and a new SA took the time to go over my service history and was patient as I requested to change my contact information even with a line of cars out of the service area and calls coming in. I asked about the key programming (wanted my blinkers to flash during unlock/lock, as well as door locks after 5mph) which he completely understood what I was talking about and told me its a $57 dollar job.

Compared to VOB, which offered the same programming for $130, this is hell of a price difference. I'm anxiously waiting to see how well they do the oil change early morning next week with my appointment. I'm sure it will be what I am expecting, nothing but perfection.

Anyone in the Baltimore area, make the drive to Russell's.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #50
joe_323

My Ride: 323iT + MKII MR2
Don't know if you resolved it, but you can spend huge $$$$ or DIY. The DIY is not too hard. I just got rid of the POS interior shade and limo tinted the glass. No more worries for me and it cost me about $15 and an hour or two to do it. Search for sunroof DIYs and you can find them on here.
joe_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #51
ms2kj

My Ride: '08 E90 M3
Anyone have a recent experience with BMW of Sterling? Any particular service advisors that I should talk to? Thanks!
ms2kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:21 AM   #52
cmackin300

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG Coupe
Send a message via MSN to cmackin300 Send a message via Yahoo to cmackin300
My personal experiences:
Initially took my car to VOB where it was bought new. Had some warranty work done and they still tried to charge me two hours labor at 114 an hour for some ridiculous stuff. Had a polite talk with service manager and charges were removed. The VOB body shop also put a gouge in my trunk and it's taken over two weeks to get a follow up appointment to get it fixed. I wouldn't take anything to VOB.

Just by coincidence of selling my 328I I met a guy named Amr.
He works for Tischer. If you are taking your car to Tishcer specifically request only he works on it. I've been working on cars for well over ten years and he's the best mechanic I have ever met hands down. Not to mention honest to a fault. Name is pronounced ahmer.
He also does work after hours on the side. So if you want something fixed that isn't under warranty send me an email and I will get you his contact info. I would much rather pay him 65 an hour and get an amazing job than have a stealer charge me 100+.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #53
AmirB

My Ride: '05 BMW 330CIc ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmackin300 View Post
My personal experiences:
Initially took my car to VOB where it was bought new. Had some warranty work done and they still tried to charge me two hours labor at 114 an hour for some ridiculous stuff. Had a polite talk with service manager and charges were removed. The VOB body shop also put a gouge in my trunk and it's taken over two weeks to get a follow up appointment to get it fixed. I wouldn't take anything to VOB.

Just by coincidence of selling my 328I I met a guy named Amr.
He works for Tischer. If you are taking your car to Tishcer specifically request only he works on it. I've been working on cars for well over ten years and he's the best mechanic I have ever met hands down. Not to mention honest to a fault. Name is pronounced ahmer.
He also does work after hours on the side. So if you want something fixed that isn't under warranty send me an email and I will get you his contact info. I would much rather pay him 65 an hour and get an amazing job than have a stealer charge me 100+.
I can appreciate your good intentions and I am sure Amr is a great mechanic. Being in business myself we should all realize that the $100 an hour we pay is not to pay for the mechanic, it is for the loaner car we get, nice sitting room, extensive part inventory, rent, not to mention workman comp and other expenses a business incurs in providing a service. I hope his employer does not frown on him getting outside jobs from regular dealership clients. I know I would have been really &^%%$ if one of my installers took a job from my clients on the side. Just a friendly comment.
Amir
AmirB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #54
F0iL

My Ride: AW 03' 325i
I am about to get my service inspection II done soon. I am having trouble deciding where to take my car to get serviced for it. I still have my warranty left. I really had bad experience with Fairfax BMW and I usually take my car to Rockville VOB and my service advisor is amazing and I never have problems with them. But since its really far from my house I rather bring my car to a closer location. I was just wondering if someone could recommend me a service advisor from either Arlington or Sterling BMW.

Thanks
F0iL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #55
bm0401

My Ride: 328i
Just wanted to let everyone know that if your thinking about putting your car for service at NORTWEST BMW in REISTERSTOWN , BEWARE!!! I work right next to them and from my back door there's a long bumpy road in front of the movie theaters with pot holes, and the service techs are always out there tearing up customers cars.... I seen them just doggin the hell out of cars back there !!! I called managers there several times and he assured it wouldn't happen again, and yet I come into work, and still see that s**t.. Be careful guys..
bm0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #56
Racinghart

My Ride: 03 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to Racinghart
^ Damn thats messed up.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #57
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
NEVER GO TO VOB

The other day, my rear passenger side Bilstein shock came loose on the lower end from the control arm....The reason, a small bolt which locks it in place came loose. As a result, my shock was hanging and my car was riding on the spring

I show up at the dealer, I go inside, and ask for a tech person. A guy comes out and meets with me in the lobby of the service dept. I ask him if he is familiar with the E46 and he goes "Man i know all these bmws so well".... assuming he was telling the truth, we walk out to my car.

I show him the problem, point out where the shock is not attached, and explain how it happened. He walks back into the service dept with me and goes "hey time this guys m3 has a bad shock (clearly he didn't know the cars that well).

So the service man has me sit down and asks me the problem. I explain that my rear passenger side shock has disengaged the bolt that holds it to the control arm (or whatever pioece the bottom portion connects to), and that i needed a new bolt.

The service man says it will be 120 dollars to diagnos the problem and 150 per hour of service to fix it. He also said that he couldn't have his people work on it till mid this week. I was flabergasted.

me: "Sir, it will only take about 5 minutes to put the bolt in and I have already told you what the problem is...diagnosing it is not needed".

him: "sir i don't think you know that much about cars, your shock is connected to six or seven different components"

me: "i may be mistaking but a shock has a top and a bottom...it connects in two places"

him: "well believe what you want but we have to diagnos the problem here first...leave the car with us and it will be fine...people love our work"

me: "i am sorry but i have had personal problems with the work here in the past and have had many friends have their cars scratched, wheels curbed, etc"

him: "that doesn't happen here!"
(AT that point...that very point... i start hearing this squeaking sound... i look over into the service bay where my car is and the guy i showed the problem to initially "mr. yo this m3" is with another tech guy, hands on my rear acs 3 piece spoiler, bouncing the rear of the car up and down.... as if that wasn't bad enough he was wearing a ring which left a noticable scratch in the paint...i noticed that later)

me: "that is exactly the type of stuff i am talking about... what are they...monkees?"

him: "sir i don't appreciate that tone"

me: "i haven't appreciated your tone since I sat down and you insulted my knowledge of the car...something i take a lot of pride in"

him: "sir its only a 3 series".

me: "may i simply see a tech person... in 30 seconds, they will diagnos the problem, tell me what i need, and I can leave"

him: "fine.." (he storms away and gives me a dirty look as if i asked him to go get me starbucks)

five minutes later a tech guy comes in... he walks with me to the car, looks at the rear wheel, says its a simple threaded bolt, tells me he will see if they have one and, if so, will install it for me right on the spot...unfortunately he didn't have the part. So, I went to the parts dept and ordered the bolt for 3 dollars and 20 cents...

The service guy gave me a "repair quote" for 297 dollars for parts and labor to fix the problem!!!!!!!!

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #58
chemdave

My Ride: 325i
I've always had good experiences with Richmond BMW. The service advisors are very helpful. They tend to always be slammed though.

Dave
chemdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #59
ksuen21
CEO OF THE ROC

My Ride: 01 330ci,05 Yama R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
NEVER GO TO VOB

The other day, my rear passenger side Bilstein shock came loose on the lower end from the control arm....The reason, a small bolt which locks it in place came loose. As a result, my shock was hanging and my car was riding on the spring

I show up at the dealer, I go inside, and ask for a tech person. A guy comes out and meets with me in the lobby of the service dept. I ask him if he is familiar with the E46 and he goes "Man i know all these bmws so well".... assuming he was telling the truth, we walk out to my car.

I show him the problem, point out where the shock is not attached, and explain how it happened. He walks back into the service dept with me and goes "hey time this guys m3 has a bad shock (clearly he didn't know the cars that well).

So the service man has me sit down and asks me the problem. I explain that my rear passenger side shock has disengaged the bolt that holds it to the control arm (or whatever pioece the bottom portion connects to), and that i needed a new bolt.

The service man says it will be 120 dollars to diagnos the problem and 150 per hour of service to fix it. He also said that he couldn't have his people work on it till mid this week. I was flabergasted.

me: "Sir, it will only take about 5 minutes to put the bolt in and I have already told you what the problem is...diagnosing it is not needed".

him: "sir i don't think you know that much about cars, your shock is connected to six or seven different components"

me: "i may be mistaking but a shock has a top and a bottom...it connects in two places"

him: "well believe what you want but we have to diagnos the problem here first...leave the car with us and it will be fine...people love our work"

me: "i am sorry but i have had personal problems with the work here in the past and have had many friends have their cars scratched, wheels curbed, etc"

(AT that point...that very point... i start hearing this squeaking sound... i look over into the service bay where my car is and the guy i showed the problem to initially "mr. yo this m3" is with another tech guy, hands on my rear acs 3 piece spoiler, bouncing the rear of the car up and down.... as if that wasn't bad enough he was wearing a ring which left a noticable scratch in the paint...i noticed that later)

me: "that is exactly the type of stuff i am talking about... what are they...monkees?"

me: "i haven't appreciated your tone since I sat down and you insulted my knowledge of the car...something i take a lot of pride in"

me: "may i simply see a tech person... in 30 seconds, they will diagnos the problem, tell me what i need, and I can leave"

him: "fine.." (he storms away and gives me a dirty look as if i asked him to go get me starbucks)

five minutes later a tech guy comes in... he walks with me to the car, looks at the rear wheel, says its a simple threaded bolt, tells me he will see if they have one and, if so, will install it for me right on the spot...unfortunately he didn't have the part. So, I went to the parts dept and ordered the bolt for 3 dollars and 20 cents...

The service guy gave me a "repair quote" for 297 dollars for parts and labor to fix the problem!!!!!!!!
Chase you said this guy had a ring? You wouldn't have by chance seen what it looked like did you? Any way it was a silver and gold ring with a small diamond on it?
Rogue Engineering Pulleys
ECIS Intake
Stoptech Stage II Brake Kit
Short Shift Kit
6000k Fog Lights
18" Hyperblack CSLs
Clears All Around
35% Tint
ksuen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #60
ksuen21
CEO OF THE ROC

My Ride: 01 330ci,05 Yama R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
NEVER GO TO VOB

Chase you said this guy had a ring? You wouldn't have by chance seen what it looked like did you? Anyway it was a silver and gold ring with a small diamond on it?
Rogue Engineering Pulleys
ECIS Intake
Stoptech Stage II Brake Kit
Short Shift Kit
6000k Fog Lights
18" Hyperblack CSLs
Clears All Around
35% Tint
ksuen21 is offline   Reply With Quote