E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #101
fieroturbo

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330xi
Boo to Daniels BMW by my home in Allentown, PA. I was looking at a CPO 325xi, and they completely missed a big gash in one of the back tires. What's worse is that they said they'd replace only that one tire... correct me if I'm wrong, but you're supposed to replace them in pairs, are you not?

Also, they were the last ones to do undercarriage work on my car, and it seems they overtorqued the front lug bolts, as I am currently unable to get them off with neither an impact gun nor a breaker bar.

However, I give a thumbs up to Bill Dodge BMW in Westbrook, ME. Though they're 45 minutes from my military base, they're worth the drive. No matter how simple or complex the job is, they thoroughly look over the car, then wash it after the job is done. They noticed problems with the car that Daniels BMW completely missed, like my leaking CV joints, and my broken rear spring. Daniels BMW was doing a wheel alignment and they missed it. Bill Dodge fixed my windows and enabled my DRL's (jobs where the car stays on the ground) and they spotted those problems. That is phenomenal!

Though there are a good deal of european repair places in Maine, Bill Dodge is so good that it's not worth going to the other places. Their sales staff is nice too, unlike Daniel's where they make you feel guilty if you can't make up your mind.

I'll have to look into this JCL place next time I go home... I need my CV joints re-lubed.
-------------------------------------
2002 BMW 330xi - 5-speed (manual)
1994 Chevy S-10 Pickup - 4.3L Vortec
1988 Pontiac Fiero - 2.2L Ecotec Turbo
fieroturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #102
Pat in Baltimore

My Ride: 01 330ci
Autobahn of Towson

Anyone looking for an Independent shop in Baltimore should call Autobahn. I've serviced my beemers there since 1999 based on a referral and have never been disappointed. They take the time to diagnose problems before replacement. At on point I was servicing 4 5 series there. Dave is the owner and Frank is service manager. I just sold my 86 535i that had been serviced there since new, and the new e46 is there today getting the once over. Overall great guys, quality work & a solid shop
Old 05-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #103
Wreckless

My Ride: E60 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
I concur, I got my CABs replaced for $40 and got a good alignment for $100.

Spent time diagnosing another issue and wasn't even charged. Chris at JCL Automotive FTMFWWWWWWWW!
Damn, wish these guys were local . Those prices are a steal!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #104
oleo

My Ride: 325
I'm in the Tysons Corner/Vienna/Falls Church area and I am looking for a good indy shop for the following:

I need to have my windshield replaced, Who do you recommend?
I need to get 4 new tires put on, Who do you recommend?
I need to start having general maintenance and service done, Who do you recommend?

Thx. f*ck BMW of Arlington
oleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #105
bhatfield

My Ride: '00 328i
I live in northern WV and would like to find a place in western PA to get my car serviced at (possibly close to pittsburgh). Any recommendations?
bhatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #106
J P LeCoure

My Ride: '01 325i sedan
Dick Horrigan BMW in Reading PA blows. First time I go in there is with some codes that I had read asking what they meant. He looked at them and said he had no clue because they weren't codes for BMW just generic scanner codes. He said he would have to put it on their diagnostics which would tell them the exact problem (for $100 of course). I checked on the forums and found they are the exact codes BMW uses.

Next time I need their help is for parts, I asked for some part numbers over the phone and they told me I needed to come in an get an estimate for the parts. I get in there and the guy at the counter gives me a different price than the guy on the phone. I asked if he had the right part and told him that I had the sport package. He said he was pretty sure the control arm was the same either way. He took my VIN (which the 1st guy did) and he told me that they were different. He was looking RIGHT at my estimate that the first guy printed and still didn't realize he had the wrong part until he looked it up. I got the estimate and told him to forget it. I then proceded to purchase the parts online using the part numbers.

The next time I go there is to see who they recommend for body repairs. They told me a place up the street. On my way out the door another customer tells me not to go there. She says she took her car there after hitting a deer. When she got it back it still had deer hair in the front bumper. She came back to pick it up a second time and they had forgotten to put parts back on under the hood (she later found out).

So as it turns out one crappy dealer is promoting another crappy shop.
My next needed dealership trip will be out to Allentown to inspect the guys out that way.

Sorry just noticed that Daniels in A-town sucks too. Guess I better keep reading.
J P LeCoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #107
dirtbike59

My Ride: 04 330ci
For anyone in Northern Va I suggest a small shop called Auto Expectations. They are in Sterling VA. shop rate is $40 cheaper than the dealer. Never had a issue with them.
dirtbike59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #108
PeterGunz50

My Ride: In my garage
I recently had the subframe fix on my 323ci at Apple BMW in York, PA. I had it there two times after that to get my vehicle back to the condition when I first dropped it off. I don't care for the service manager who was personaly handleing my vehicle. They did the work, broke my gas tank in the process, s***ed up my spotless interior and had to make 3 trips there to get what I was owed from the first time there. So I do not recommend Apple BMW of York. A little of the subject I do not recommend the Subaru dealer either.
PeterGunz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #109
schosports

My Ride: 02 325IT,
Thumbs Up New Shop in Bel Air/Forest Hill

Euromotive recently opened up for service in Forest Hill. Chris and Matt have a combined 25 years of automotive experience and are ASC certified. They also have had extensive factory training with both Volvo and Audi but know BMW, VW and Mercedes as well.

Euromotive
500 Bynum Rd.
Forest Hill, MD 21050
410-420-7222

Not to take away form other area shops where I still have many friends that work, but it's good for owners to have another alternative for service as the Harford County area grows.

......Bill
Old 10-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #110
filburt1

My Ride: 2006 325Ci ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangar9john View Post
I also should mention a positive experience at Northwest BMW in Reisterstown, Maryland. I went there a few weeks ago to test drive a pre-owned 330ci coupe. The sales staff was helpful and friendly and gave me plenty of time to drive the CI as well as a pre-owned 330i. The test drives helped me with the decision to look for the perfect 330i. As much as I wanted the coupe, I learned that the sedan, with a bit more headroom, was a better fit for me.
I bought my 325Ci from Northwest BMW. It turns out the car started life there as a lease, was serviced there, and bought back there. The buying experience went smoothly for an acceptable price for both sides although because it's the first car I actually bought I can't compare it to something else. There was no real BS haggling, just eventually agreeing on a price. The salesman was quiet during the drive unless I asked him some questions. They tried to push the BMW financing on me a couple times which I actually wanted because of the 0.9% APR they were running with BMW NA, but I didn't qualify because I didn't have any past big credit events (auto loan or mortgage).

A week after I bought it, I went back for some follow-up things, most notably getting the Bluetooth pin and pairing my phone which I was unable to do when I bought it. A guy there (sorry, forget his name) was very helpful and was successful in pairing my phone and answering some other questions.

And finally, just a few days ago, I noticed the clear coat on my front bumper was peeling, hopefully from a previous repaint gone wrong. I took the car in for a normal Inspection I (actually 1,500 miles premature according to the service indicator but they said it was close enough) and they performed the inspection for free as expected and also refinished the bumper for free under warranty. I brought it in on a Wednesday morning and it was done Friday morning--technically Thursday night but they were closed once they finished it. I also got a loaner for free, albeit a behemoth Honda Pilot, but still.

So all-around good experience. I have heard from others though that I might want to look around once my free service period expires because they can charge much more than others, even other dealers. A friend of mine with an E39 M5 recently needed a new clutch among other things and Northwest's quote was double the lowest quote (annoyingly, VOB).
filburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #111
323power

My Ride: '11 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroturbo View Post
Boo to Daniels BMW by my home in Allentown, PA. I was looking at a CPO 325xi, and they completely missed a big gash in one of the back tires. What's worse is that they said they'd replace only that one tire... correct me if I'm wrong, but you're supposed to replace them in pairs, are you not?

Also, they were the last ones to do undercarriage work on my car, and it seems they overtorqued the front lug bolts, as I am currently unable to get them off with neither an impact gun nor a breaker bar.

I'll have to look into this JCL place next time I go home... I need my CV joints re-lubed.
Daniels sucks the big one. JCL rocks.

323power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:02 PM   #112
chudzikb

My Ride: 04 330ci
For those in Lancaster and York Counties in PA, there is a fine Indy BMW shop in Baimbridge PA. Right up 441 from Rt 30. Jack's Auto and Aero. The owner Jack (of course) is competent and honest. Prices are reasonable and he does not do work that does not need to be done. And he is very happy to help with tech questions and the like. Anyone that goes there knows the deal, and it is a sweet situation. Can not recommend enough. Dealership? You have got to be kidding me?
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #113
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
I have had all of my cars including all of my race car prep done at York Auto
for the last 2 years. Simply put they REALLY know there stuff, a perfect job
every time. In house Alignment, Dyno tuning, & welding.

York Automotive (Ed York)

5 of 5 stars
300 S Main Street,
Mt Airy, MD 21771
(301) 831-7337

Rob
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #114
Ramm328

My Ride: 97 328 02 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chudzikb View Post
For those in Lancaster and York Counties in PA, there is a fine Indy BMW shop in Baimbridge PA. Right up 441 from Rt 30. Jack's Auto and Aero. The owner Jack (of course) is competent and honest. Prices are reasonable and he does not do work that does not need to be done. And he is very happy to help with tech questions and the like. Anyone that goes there knows the deal, and it is a sweet situation. Can not recommend enough. Dealership? You have got to be kidding me?
I second this. I was just up there to have the steering rack replaced on my 97 328. Flawless work. Great prices. A CCA member as well.
Ramm328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #115
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Hooray!!! RRT
Did my expansion tank in December there were pretty quick too!
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #116
Zleepertt(MD)

My Ride: Future E46 M3 Owner
Best place to go to in Montgomery County, MD? From the posts here, I've heard not to go to VOB in Rockville. Sucks because I live in Rockville, lol!
Zleepertt(MD) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #117
vlm7

My Ride: this and that
I'm reviving this thread for all those in Virginia that have had poor experiences with their dealer. I highly encourage you to file a complaint with the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board, which is the Virginia regulatory agency for car dealerships:
http://mvdb.vipnet.org/consumer_complaints.htm. They have a form you can fill out online or you can call them.

If they receive enough complaints about a dealership, they can take civil action against the dealership.
vlm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #118
So Slow

My Ride: 330i
Wyoming Valley Motors BMW
So Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #119
JERRYKDC

My Ride: 04 330 CIC
Einstein's in College Park is good for service - oil change includes a full inspection of the car.

Radial Tire in Silver Spring is best for tires but be prepared to spend some time getting them installed.
JERRYKDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #120
bmdubalicious

My Ride: 03 325i
+1 for RRT in NoVA. They're the only shop I go to around here and do amazing work. Even hooked me up with cheaper parts because I was in a rush and have found problems I didn't even know existed. Great guys.
bmdubalicious is offline   Reply With Quote