E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #621
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
Here's some new pics.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:58 AM   #622
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
clean

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #623
Mike@Modbargains
ModBargains CEO

My Ride: 2008 BMW 135i
I had a customer that purchased matte black wheels and then called us because he was so upset with how matte black looked on his car. He described them as looking as if all he had on his car were "spare tires" and felt that the pictures out online really mis-led him as to what the wheels really looked like. He wound up purchasing hyperblack from us and was very happy with the results. He said that at certain angles and in the perfect light, the matte black looked "decent" but that most of the time it just completely ruined the appearance of his BMW.
Mike@Modbargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #624
neil1138

Matte black eliminated...

What color goes best with Alpine White? My corners, tails, sidemarkers are going to be smoked and I have matte black grilles
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #625
Mike@Modbargains
ModBargains CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post

What color goes best with Alpine White? My corners, tails, sidemarkers are going to be smoked and I have matte black grilles
I think your car is a prime-candidate for hyperblack wheels. You have the right parts to complement the stealthy and aggressive looking style of the hyperblack CSL wheels.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #626
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@modbargains
I had a customer that purchased matte black wheels and then called us because he was so upset with how matte black looked on his car. He described them as looking as if all he had on his car were "spare tires" and felt that the pictures out online really mis-led him as to what the wheels really looked like. He wound up purchasing hyperblack from us and was very happy with the results. He said that at certain angles and in the perfect light, the matte black looked "decent" but that most of the time it just completely ruined the appearance of his BMW.
Not this again.

Let the pictures speak for themselves rather than giving a biased opinion on a color that you do not offer. People are educated enough to make their own decisions based on their personal preference and feedback from others.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #627
Mike@Modbargains
ModBargains CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Not this again.

Let the pictures speak for themselves rather than giving a biased opinion on a color that you do not offer. People are educated enough to make their own decisions based on their personal preference and feedback from others.
He was asking for opinions and advice, hence the question from the customer "what do you guys recommend?" so I gave him the exact words from one of our customers to give him more information for his decision.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #628
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:

Keep in mind that HyperBlack will look full chrome in direct sunlight. The very look you changed going with matte black grilles. The smoked lighting will add to this also.

Silver is a great safe color that looks good on any color. Matte Black is a bit more aggressive and depends on the look you are going after.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #629
neil1138

Are there any pictures of Hyperblack CSL wheels on an Alpine White E46? I could only find Super silver and Gunmetal on AW. Thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #630
Mike@Modbargains
ModBargains CEO

Quote:
Are there any pictures of Hyperblack CSL wheels on an Alpine White E46? I could only find Super silver and Gunmetal on AW. Thanks
We've got a ton of pictures here in our gallery from plenty of happy customers:

https://st15.flashecom.com/modbargai...ackgallery.htm

There's a couple pictures in there of hyperblack on alpine white I believe
Old 06-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #631
neil1138

I have the H&R Touring Cup Kit installed on my car so I want 18" wheels? Would I want to buy 18 x 8.5" all around? I dont want to rub because the roads in Oklahoma suck for the most part.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #632
Mike@Modbargains
ModBargains CEO

I also agree that silver is a safe color for any car with any modification scheme on it.

Here's the silver CSL wheels gallery:

http://www.modbargains.com/images/Pr...20gallery2.htm
Old 06-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #633
Mike@Modbargains
ModBargains CEO

Quote:
I have the H&R Touring Cup Kit installed on my car so I want 18" wheels? Would I want to buy 18 x 8.5" all around? I dont want to rub because the roads in Oklahoma suck for the most part.
18x8.5 all around would guarantee you no rubbing.

18" staggered looks better on the coupe (it's what I have on mine) and still fits just fine as well. My car is aggressively lowered on coilovers with very little fitment room for the wheels/tires and I still very rarely get rubbing. The H&R touring cup kit would not lower you as much as I am lowered.

Your only risk of rubbing would be if you use an oversized tire or if you have excessive weight in your trunk/backseat.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #634
neil1138

that reminds me... What size tires do you recommend? I was planning on buying the rims online then buying the tires locally, to reduce shipping cost. What are some reasonable tires that are recommended for 18 x 8.5" CSLs?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #635
Mike@Modbargains
ModBargains CEO

Quote:
that reminds me... What size tires do you recommend? I was planning on buying the rims online then buying the tires locally, to reduce shipping cost. What are some reasonable tires that are recommended for 18 x 8.5" CSLs?
For non-staggered I'd go with 235/40/18 General Exclaim UHP tires all around. I have the Generals on my own car and they are great in all weather conditions (except snow, of course) as well as providing excellent tread life.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #636
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Keep in mind that HyperBlack will look full chrome in direct sunlight.
sorry but i am going to have to disagree with you on that....

they are definitely not as shiny as chrome, they don't have a mirror finish, and even in the direct sunlight they definitely look noticeably darker than a chrome wheel would

yes they do look look "chrome-ish" at times, but clearly distinguishable

Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #637
tom @ eas
european auto source

If purchasing 18s, be sure you are getting the Velocity wheels (also known as VMR) as there are specific differences between the VMR wheels and Miro brand that can be spotted when the two are placed together.

Here's a quick comparison of the Velocity Motoring (VMR) and the Miro:

Things to note:

1. VMR wheels have a longer spoke length than the Miros, which fork later to the outer ring. A longer spoke length gives a slimmer look.
2. Outer ring thickness is noticeably wider on the VMRs compared to Miro.
3. The VMRs are not as deep lipped as the Miros, giving a truer look to the CSL design.
4. Spoke Angle (or "concavity" as others are calling it) is much more pronounced on the VMRs than the Miros, especially on M3 fitments. there is an ongoing discussion about this very subject on M3Forum and e90post.
5. VMR wheels are offered in 4 finishes (Silver, HyperBlack, Gunmetal and Matte Black). Miros are only offered in Silver.
6. VMR wheels are manufactured in a true 72.6mm centerbore, not requiring the use of hubcentric rings. Miros feature a larger bore and require a a ring (included) installed before mounting.
7. Miro "Tuning Fork" ends are spaced wider on Miros towards the ring portion than the VMR wheels, which are closer together.
8. Lug holes are spaced farther apart on VMRs from centerline. Miros intercept with trim ring on face of wheel.
9. Reputation: The VMRs have been on the market for quite some time now with a well-established reputation with those running the wheels.

The biggest factors are the spoke angle, thickness and lip depth. As for weights, here's a 19" VMR wheel on the scale:

More info and pictures in this thread:

The Most Concave CSL's only by VMR Wheels
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=578373

Comparison is meant for informative purposes only - as stated before, forum members can decide upon what direction they would like to go from here.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #638
neil1138

I guess I'm going to go with Super silver
Old 06-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #639
Mike@Modbargains
ModBargains CEO

Who said anything about miro? We're talking about 18" Velocity Motoring wheels here. Miro doesn't even make 18" CSL wheels, Tom

Let's try to stay on topic ok? Your attacks against another manufacturer are not only uncalled for but they are completely off topic.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #640
neil1138

wow... You guys have already dissapointed me with your fighting. Somebody needs to step up and act professional before potential customers look away.