E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #21
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
^ My experiences have been the exact opposite. At any rate I still have more damage on the passenger side door than my drivers side door; one ever so slight dimple on the passenger side door (I can't really see it, just feel it... I know it's there though. ) along with some paint rubbing from other cars vs. nothing of note on the drivers side.
Weird. I have 3 dents on my drivers side, and none on the passenger.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:44 PM   #22
Gir

My Ride: .
I park closer to the curb in parking lots and if that isn't an option, I usually favor parking closer to the passenger side of the vehicle to my left in hopes he drove there alone.

PS- Don't double park. It's only a BMW.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 PM   #23
coocoohead

My Ride: bmw 330ci
You know I actually consider buying another beater car because I worry so much when I park my car in the parking lot.
coocoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 PM   #24
lex1234556

My Ride: 330i
lets say somebody bangs your car with their door or shopping cart, will u make them pay it or just get mad every time u see the ding on your door?
lex1234556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #25
BlackRain

My Ride: 330ci
i like to park in areas where my car doesnt get a lot of attention and is safe from being damaged.
BlackRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #26
JimmyDreams
1 Mod //Member

My Ride: '05 330 Zhp cabrio
Send a message via AIM to JimmyDreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
nice to see I'm not so anal after all, haha.

-Ken
Yes you are....everyone is just humoring you!!

JimmyD

(btw... I do everything you do minus making people wash their hands.)

2005 330CiC/ZHP

Bimmian...customer service before the sale? GREAT
Customer service after they get your money? NONEXISTANT!
JimmyDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #27
FABIO

My Ride: 01 E46 M3
You guys made me feel really good about being the way i am. I thought i was the only nutcase. I do everything all you guys stated and maybe more. I made my girlfriend read this thread so she knows i'm not the only crazy, paranoid guy out there when it comes to cars.

Mods: V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser, Radenergie
R10's

Link To Pics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...544&highlight=
FABIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #28
Dr_John

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
lets say somebody bangs your car with their door or shopping cart, will u make them pay it or just get mad every time u see the ding on your door?
For me, it really depends. A mom pulled up next to me in a big ass SUV, kid jumped out and nailed my car. Mom came around, scolded, the kid, and was real apologetic. She said she'd pay for any damage (a minor ding), I told her thanks and not to worry about. I had it fixed next time I had my car in at the dealer.

Then I was at Laguna Seca for the ALMS. Even though I had a BMW corral pass, none of the parking attendants knew where it was, so I was directed to general parking....yuck. I was already in a bad mood. I sat in my car as some idiot in a Mustang pulled up next to me. I just knew he was going to hit my car. Sure enough he swung the door open right into my passenger side. I don't think he saw I was still in the car, and while I can't say for sure he did it intentionally, there was no way he didn't know he did it, and he didn't seem to care. Until I got out of my car and mentioned that I hope he had his check book with him. I checked, and fortunately my door was saved by the black door ding protector.....he actually left a good ding in that. I just let it go. I finally found the corral, moved my car, and parked it next to another big ass car....a nice 850.

Last edited by Dr_John; 08-08-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Dr_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #29
kpeng
Banned User

Wow, you guys really do make me feel good about all the **** I do, haha.

You never know what type of jackasses are out there, careless people, and little kids. You can never be too careful with your baby!

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 08:19 PM   #30
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i
i'm so protective i don't even wanna write about it again

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:21 PM   #31
Doc Bob

My Ride: 2005 M3
I feel just as protective and do same things. Notice when you park long way out and walk in somewhere when you come out more times than not there is POS parked next to you? Must be magnetic attraction of car! One thing I do in parking structures is park on slope of ramp so that driver's door next to has gravity against person's opening of their door.

Bob
Doc Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #32
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
^Oh Gawd, I freakin' hate that. I park my car away from other people for a reason, it's not funny when you park your 1983 rust colored Corolla next to my car. Who I'm I bothering by parking way out in the boondocks?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #33
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
^Oh Gawd, I freakin' hate that. I park my car away from other people for a reason, it's not funny when you park your 1983 rust colored Corolla next to my car. Who I'm I bothering by parking way out in the boondocks?
DAMN! I HATE that. This one time, I parked far out there in the middle of the nowhere with no one around me. When I came back out of the store, there was a giant GMC truck parked RIGHT next to me. Of all the spots he could of parked in. To make it worse, his car was parked about 5 inches from my car, and he left me a nice sized ding too. So I keyed his car I know, it was a douchebag move, but the guy really really deserved it.

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 PM   #34
mike greco

My Ride: M3
so funny thats exactly how me and everyone else on this forum probably acts
mike greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #35
328CeeI

My Ride: 2000 328 Ci
try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
Wow, you guys really do make me feel good about all the **** I do, haha.

You never know what type of jackasses are out there, careless people, and little kids. You can never be too careful with your baby!

-Ken

if I have the time I look for the expensive cars that are clean or at least look clean. I park next those cars b/c you know that they care about their car and won't ram their door into yours. but i basically do about everything that was mentioned except for the washing hands. i have noticed that my steering wheel is picking up a shiny feel/look just from my hands being on it. maybe i need to wash my hands more often b4 i get in my own car!
328CeeI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:18 PM   #36
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328CeeI
if I have the time I look for the expensive cars that are clean or at least look clean. I park next those cars b/c you know that they care about their car and won't ram their door into yours. but i basically do about everything that was mentioned except for the washing hands. i have noticed that my steering wheel is picking up a shiny feel/look just from my hands being on it. maybe i need to wash my hands more often b4 i get in my own car!
haha. See? It pays off to wash your hands before you get in your car. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car.

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #37
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
E46analfanatics.com

Welcome to my world! I park as far away as possbile, sometimes I double park in half-empty lots. But, anywhere my car is parked; it's a magnit for someone else to park right next to me because they feel their car is "safe" next to mine because it's flawless and looks new...it's annoying, I think when a SUV or a van does get next to me when I park in the middle of nowhere!

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #38
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
I don't know how but my right rear rim has a nice 1/5th inch wide 2 inch long scratch, got it during Home Depot shopping (1-2 hours). I now know better than to park near Home Depot.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #39
kpeng
Banned User

Home Depot is down there with Walmart as some of the worst parking lots.

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #40
andyofyork

My Ride: 2000 323i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to andyofyork
Quote:
I'm the same. Another technique that I use is:

- When parking in a parking lot, I always park with the drivers side closer to the lines than the passengers side.

Why?

More often than not it's just one person in the car, the driver. Well their drivers side is the passenger side of my car. Therefore I'm leaving them with more room to open their door and lessens the chance of them hitting my car.
Haha, I totally do that whenever I am forced to park next to another car, and I thought I was the only one, my car is actually parked like that right now while I'm at work. Otherwise, I try to park on the end spots wayyyyyy far out. The first and last time I parked next to a SUV I came back from dinner, and truck was gone, and there was a nice dent in the rear passenger door, estimate was $550 to fix it I do everything you guys are describing...also I also scold people (in a friendly way) whenever they slam the doors, which happens to everyone who has never riden in my car before...I guess the doors in our cars are easier to close then most other cars - has anyone else experienced this problem or am I the only one who is that protective Great thread by the way

I say it is more like a Mobius Strip.
andyofyork is offline   Reply With Quote