E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #41
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyofyork
Haha, I totally do that whenever I am forced to park next to another car, and I thought I was the only one, my car is actually parked like that right now while I'm at work. Otherwise, I try to park on the end spots wayyyyyy far out. The first and last time I parked next to a SUV I came back from dinner, and truck was gone, and there was a nice dent in the rear passenger door, estimate was $550 to fix it I do everything you guys are describing...also I also scold people (in a friendly way) whenever they slam the doors, which happens to everyone who has never riden in my car before...I guess the doors in our cars are easier to close then most other cars - has anyone else experienced this problem or am I the only one who is that protective Great thread by the way
Thanks Andy.

Yeah, that reminds me, I have 3 mysterious dents that are side by side on my rear quarter panel. I think they're from a shopping cart, but I'm too cheap to get some dent repair guy to come fix it.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #42
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
Home Depot is down there with Walmart as some of the worst parking lots.

-Ken
Double threat, Walmart is right next to this Home Depot. lol
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #43
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintluk2
Double threat, Walmart is right next to this Home Depot. lol
holy ****, that's like the Center of The Shitty Parking Lot Universe. STAY AWAY!!!

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #44
RidinBimmerz

My Ride: Porsche 997 S
-After eating at a restaurant with my friends, I make them wash their hands before entering the car.

hah never thought of that one but thanks for the advice!

-When I go into a restaurant or something, I always try to get a seat near the window, so I can keep an eye out on the car.
Always

997S X-51 Pack, PCCB, Full Cocoa leather and MUCH more
RidinBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #45
kpeng
Banned User

I forgot to mention. One of the biggest things that bugs me is when people are standing waaaay too close to my car. Or if they're staring at it. It makes me nervous.

This one time, I was at Charhut (this semi-fast food place), and I sat in a booth right by the window with my car about 10 feet from me. This entire family of various ages were gathered all around my car and there was a kid leaning on it (their giant GMC box van was parked next to me). I was like "wtf!?". I used my trusty remote kit on my angel eyes to activate them, and I guess the kid's sister or something noticed and he jumped from the car. It was classic.

Then I proceeded to give them The Stare until they piled into their car and left. Stupid people.

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #46
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon

Wow it's amazing how much I can relate to you guys. I'm pretty much the EXACT same to pretty much everything that's been said in this thread. I'd like to add that I give whoever's in my car (not my girl, i've got her trained after a TON of *****ing to her) when they open and close my doors. First off it can't be too hard or else i'll be severly pissed and I will always warn them to never EVER even think about touching the glass when opening or especially when closing. Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing somebody closing my door with their hand on the glass (I have a coupe).

In addition, I'll add this wonderful story. There is a fine balance when parking... you wanna park far enough so that people stay away from you and nobody parks near you but not TOO far so that your car is left all alone in an empty parking lot attracting a ton of attention (cuz of course e46's are pure sex). So anyways this one time I'm out for a movie, it's the last show of the night but theatre was still busy when I got there. Well I parked way too far away that when I got out of the theatre, the parking lot was practically empty and waaaaaaaaay off in the distance was my car. To my horror, I noticed there was a group of guys surrounding my car, they were looking inside and looking over my car from every angle. I quickly hit the unlock button on my remote... but DAMNIT the range on these damn remotes suck. Good thing I remembered by trusty e46fanatic remote-to-chin technique. Sure enough it worked, it unlocked the car and at that very moment, they all BOLTED in different directions. It was fricken hilarious, my buddy and I quickly got into the car and drove the hell outta there.
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:11 PM   #47
kpeng
Banned User

Yeah, I hate it when people are all around my car like that. Makes me super nervous.

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #48
CC Nomada

My Ride: 98 ///M3/4/5 Silver
Send a message via ICQ to CC Nomada Send a message via AIM to CC Nomada
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
I'm the same. Another technique that I use is:

- When parking in a parking lot, I always park with the drivers side closer to the lines than the passengers side.

Why?

More often than not it's just one person in the car, the driver. Well their drivers side is the passenger side of my car. Therefore I'm leaving them with more room to open their door and lessens the chance of them hitting my car.

Great if car on driver's side has no passengers, bad if car on driver's side ends up having passengers. I find most passengers are more careless with doors than the driver/owner of the car.
CC Nomada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #49
kpeng
Banned User

CC Nomada is right. A lot of times, the drivers will be more careful because they probably hate it when the same thing happens to them. Passengers (which are usually kids or women), don't care as much.....no offense to mel.

-Ken
Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 PM   #50
GIO_21

My Ride: Active HKS Blown
Send a message via AIM to GIO_21
I try to stay away from cars as much as i can i dont care if i have to walk 2 more minutes i rather do tha anyday and if im with friends i like to park next to them because i know they will be careful and if they hit my damn car i will know who they are hehe I know by the end of the school year someone will do something to my car because we got 3 black e46s parked next to each other so someone is gonna have to hate
Old 08-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #51
TheMauveSoldier

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
DAMN! I HATE that. This one time, I parked far out there in the middle of the nowhere with no one around me. When I came back out of the store, there was a giant GMC truck parked RIGHT next to me. Of all the spots he could of parked in. To make it worse, his car was parked about 5 inches from my car, and he left me a nice sized ding too. So I keyed his car I know, it was a douchebag move, but the guy really really deserved it.
-Ken
Keyed it?!?
You should have written the letters BMW in human feces (preferably your own) all over his f***ing windshield.
BTW boys.........don't kid yourselves.
Some of these stupid pr***s do this stuff intentionally.
TheMauveSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #52
TheMauveSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon

To my horror, I noticed there was a group of guys surrounding my car, they were looking inside and looking over my car from every angle. I quickly hit the unlock button on my remote... but DAMNIT the range on these damn remotes suck. Good thing I remembered by trusty e46fanatic remote-to-chin technique. Sure enough it worked, it unlocked the car
Hey that's a new one for me.
Just what is the "remote-to-chin technique"? lol
Old 08-08-2005, 11:57 PM   #53
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
i have two cars luckily, my nice car, hmmm, what could that be, and my "$hit" car. i drive them both and being a brother of two, a younger brother and a sister, i consistently make them dust their feet, wash their hands, if they finish eating or working, and if they come back from the gym, they must must must put a towel behind then and on the seat to avoid sweet or other stuff to get on the seats. i wash my car every week also, even though the car is under a car cover, for more than 15 hours during the day. call me anal, even my parents think so, but i can see the pollen, dust, bird ****, and tree sap on my car!
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:04 AM   #54
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMauveSoldier
Hey that's a new one for me.
Just what is the "remote-to-chin technique"? lol
Haha it's probably the best kept secret. Basically hold your key up to your chin and press the button you need if you're out of your "regular" range for your key. Your head actually acts like an antenna and amplifies the signal. Give it a try, I was amazed that this actually worked.
It's also a sweet way to get some brain damage but that should never stop a fanatic.
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 AM   #55
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Nomada
Great if car on driver's side has no passengers, bad if car on driver's side ends up having passengers. I find most passengers are more careless with doors than the driver/owner of the car.
Oookay, but it's worked out for me so far... until something changes my mind, I'll keep doing it.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #56
TheMauveSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon
Haha it's probably the best kept secret. Basically hold your key up to your chin and press the button you need if you're out of your "regular" range for your key. Your head actually acts like an antenna and amplifies the signal. Give it a try, I was amazed that this actually worked.
It's also a sweet way to get some brain damage but that should never stop a fanatic.
That's insane.
Of course...........now I'm going to have to try that.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #57
fiffoto

My Ride: 2002 325i
My addition...

I always prefer stopping next to a fellow BMW or a brand new expensive car, than parking next to noone... This way I know the person next to me is most likely careful about his car and if he happens to leave before me, he won't give me a dent. If there is noone next to me, I have no control on what kind of crappy car and careless people may get there.
fiffoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #58
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiffoto
My addition...

I always prefer stopping next to a fellow BMW or a brand new expensive car, than parking next to noone... This way I know the person next to me is most likely careful about his car and if he happens to leave before me, he won't give me a dent. If there is noone next to me, I have no control on what kind of crappy car and careless people may get there.
Unfortunately what you just said has created a giant paradox. We don't like it when people look for our nice cars and park right next to it, yet you say when you park, you want to park right next to it. AHHHH, MY BRAIN IS TURNING INTO MASHED POTATOES!!!!

-Ken
Old 08-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #59
bmw325i

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
I used to do everything you guys do....with the exception of making people wash their hands. ... in the beginning. Then I got a ding on my passenger fender and I it didnt matter at that point. I stopped trying to take protect it.

I'm still cauious of where I park and who's around me. I give a quick glance and smile to people when there opening up there doors next to me.

I got more important things to worry about then worry if something is going to happen to my car. It sucks getting older...

To each his own....
bmw325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #60
kpeng
Banned User

Totally understandable. But hey, the way I see it, you put all this time and money into your car, you definitely would want to protect it. If you could do something about it, why not?

As much of an inflated analogy this may be, I'd compare it to having a kid. You put so much time, love, energy, money, and all that jazz into it, you don't want to let your kid go out and get punched by some douchebag or bullied. *shrug* Maybe it's just me.

-Ken