E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
b-esa112

My Ride: 330 ci
window goes down when i press up i need help

my window goes down when i press the button up the window goes all the way down and will not stop until i hit down ,plus the window will not go up until i lock the car from out side and i hold the key to the right. any info before i go to the dealer thanks
2001 330ci
brad
b-esa112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
That sounds like something that was posted here recently - it may be a problem with a switch unit built into your driver door entry keylock. There is a switch built in there that rolls the windows up when you turn and hold the key to the lock position, and vice versa. That switch fails and causes all sorts of erratic behaviour in the windows and central locks systems (it failed on both of our E46s).

Try using that keyswitch to test it out - put your key in the door and turn to lock, then back to center then turn and hold to lock - your windows should roll up. Do the same in the other direction for the unlock, the windows should roll down. If it doesn't do those functions smoothly it could be the failure point.

Another test to do is to roll up/down the windows using the key remote - if you press and hold the unlock button the windows should roll down. This function should NOT work for roll up (unless you have the IWindows module or the car has been programmed). If you hold the lock button and the windows roll up, it may be that keyswitch (that's what mine did).

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Tom Busby

My Ride: 2001 325i, 1995 318i
I see you are new owner, at least I guess you are because you have 4 posts, and I am also guessing at what you mean.
So, the window switch feels "backwards" as a child safety feature. (Imagine what would happen to a kid with his head out the window standing on the switch.)
And the window switch has an express up or down when you push/pull it all the way but there is a very slight detent as an intermediate position that makes the window run only momentarily.
Tom Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:26 AM   #4
mvon919

My Ride: Stiffer 325Ci
window switch problem

Hi, I recently had the same problem with my '02 325 Ci.... I tracked the problem into window switch...

1. Take off shifter trim (2 screws and it pull right up, remove window wires)
2. Pull out switch from below the trim (holds in place w/ 6 little plastic teeth)
3. Switch in hand, lift the black "sled"
4. Problem is most probably in little grey rubber switch connector, one or more of the 4 "****" is broken.

I swapped front/rear rubber contacts, so now my left back window won't open (doesn't matter, it's a coupe I haven't got time to visit the dealer yet, but I think it's not possible to get only the rubber contact, but you have to buy like the whole switch... which is surely around 100 bucks or more.

Hope it helps. My first post

Miikka
mvon919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
My wife's ci had this problem. It was the window switch on the center console. Apparently it got stuck/fried so that if you press up, it goes up. If you press down, it goes up.

Just get a new switch unit. The problem is the bottom of the switch unit is exposed and very easily short circuits itself.