E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
trdehmer

My Ride: 2000 328i
Sunroof sunscreen broke on 2000 328i, how to fix?

It appears that the sunscreen portion of my sunroof broke this morning. It didn't close as well as it usually does and I noticed a piece of broken plastic that fell of the sunscreen. How much is a new sunscreen and how does one install a new one??
trdehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #2
MFarrZHP

My Ride: Has 6 speeds
Damn. Mine just did that too last week. If I kinda mess with it, it closes ok though.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
very common problem and supposedly a very easy fix. Do a search and you'll find your answers.
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
trdehmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon
very common problem and supposedly a very easy fix. Do a search and you'll find your answers.

It looks just like the guides are broke or something.....
Old 08-17-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
lex1234556

My Ride: 330i
i had the dealer change mines. they had to put a new shade . there is an update on new shade and clips. i just got mine, the shade is a little more thick .try to get the new clips , its suppossed to be better.
lex1234556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Alpine_330CI

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Send a message via AIM to Alpine_330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon
I'll be doing mine soon once I get some free time.

Alpine_330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
trdehmer

I'm going to try and tear into it this weekend....
Old 08-18-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
awesoM3

My Ride: 05 Legacy GT Wagon
Most likely just need new clips. Here are the part numbers you most likely need:

Right side clips: 54-13-8-246-025 Qty:2
Left side clips: 54-13-8-246-027 Qty:2

Pretty expensive at the dealer for what they are. Rights are around $14ea. while the left clips are around $10ea.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:59 AM   #9
trdehmer

On a small piece of plastic that broke off I can see the following number on it - any idea if its a part number?

89330 - 1/8
Old 08-19-2005, 09:14 AM   #10
awesoM3

My Ride: 05 Legacy GT Wagon
That number doesnt help any... needs to be 7 or 11 digits for me to help ya out.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #11
Munky

My Ride: too old for this BS
If you searched the DIY, you would find this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mechanic
Pretty much that simple. The two thin slotted pieces are the slides for the passenger side, and the other two pieces with the small screws are the slides for the passenger side.

Dont let the length of this scare you, this is a simple DIY. If I had pictures to use, I would have only used 1/5 of the words below. Since no pics are available, I made this write up as detailed as possible. If anyone does this as followed and has any questions, feel free to PM me and show me a picture if possible of your questions.

Here ya go:

1) With the T25 or T30 bit (cant recall), remove the siz bolts retaining the sunroof glass. These are located inside, just above the trim for the sunroof/headliner. I recommend using the cupholders to store the bolts.

2) With all 6 screws removed, get a second person to help get the glass out. One person sits in the passenger seat, and with both hands pushes the sunroof out through the top. The second person should carefully take the glass from you. I recommend placing the sunroof glass in the back seat, out of the way.

Now its time to do the clips. This would be much simpler with a picture, but I will try without.

3) If your shade doesnt slide properly, chances are one or more of your (4) clips is broken. At this point pull your sunshade all the way forward, in the closed position. More than likely you will be able to pull the sunroof shade out without removing any fasteners. If not, remove the drivers side clips first, each one has 2 tiny screws (T10). After you remove the screws, slide the front clip forward of the sunshade, and remove it. Do the same for the rear drivers side shade, finally removing it. Now pickup the shade on the drivers side, and pull the shade out of the slide on the passenger side.

4) After removal, you need to look for 2 things. First, look at your 4 original slides and take note of what is damaged. If any part is missing, search around to see if you can find the broken piece. This will prevent damage in the future, or from binding.

Secondly, stand on the drivers side of the vehicle, and look on the slide track. You should see a plastic indexing tab that rides on top of the slide. You might have to look on the slide down inside of the cartridge to see it, but you should be able to slide it. Once you have located the index slide, push it as far forward as you can. This piece is VERY important, since it is responsible for pushing and pulling the shade forwards and backwards during sunroof operation.

5) Now with both clips from the drivers side removed, also remove the thin slides from the passenger side. Take note which way they are facing. Go ahead and install the new thin plastic slides.

6) You are now ready to put the shade back in place. Stand on the passenger side of the vehicle. Insert the passenger side of the shade in place first. Make sure both thin sliders are inserted properly into the track. After that is done, lay the drivers side down. You are now ready to install the fastened clips on the drivers side. Install the front side first. Carefully work the new clip between the shade and the slide, and wedge it to its proper seat. It might take a little finessing, but be gentle. Install both screws, but do not overtighten. They should be "snug". Now do the same for the rear, but insert the new clip from the rear side of the sunshade. Before screwing in the rear shade, read this: NOTE - this is where step 4 comes back in to play. With both new sunshade clips in place, the indexing slider must be just ahead of the rear sunshade slide. If you have done this, screw the rear shade slide in place. You may now test the operation of the sunshade manually. Make sure to slide it all the way forward and all the way back, checking to make sure there is no blockage.

7) Time for the glass. Grab your extra set of hands. The glass installation goes exactly opposite of the removal, only with an adjustment. Get the second person to hand you the glass through the top. Open both hands, palms up, and carefully set the glass in place. Look at both sides, when the glass is sitting in its proper place, it should look the same on both sides. If you need to move the glass over to align it, you should be able to visually tell. Insert all 6 screws, but do not tighten any.

8) With the other person still around, sit in the passenger seat. You now need to align the sunroof glass. The second person needs to eyeball the level of the glass and hold it in place, while the other person tightens the screws down, one corner at a time. Start with either front corner. One person pushes up on the glass..........you want the front side to be as near to even with the roof as possible. Tighten down the side that was just adjusted. Move on to the other front corner. Do the same, leveling the glass until even with the roof, and tighten the screw. Not on to the back. You want the back to sit slightly higher than the front. Lets call it 2mm. Push one corner up, taking note of the height. Tighten the screw. Do the same for the other back corner, taking note of the height. Both persons should stand back and observe the sunroof for proper height alignment, and to make sure it is even.

Thats it
Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #12
trdehmer

I fixed the sunscreen this weekend, it was very easy to do. Only one clip was bad. Its easy enough to do that I saw no reason to replace them all since they aren't cheap. The only issue I have (and was there before fixing) is that when the sunroof closes it won't close all the way since its detecting resistance, it will close 3/4 of the way and then will retract a little. What do I need to do to resolve this?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:54 AM   #13
SonTon2003

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
mine just broke today. I'm going to drop it off at the dealer on Tuesday (still under warranty) to fix.
SonTon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #14
KritonD
Banned

My Ride: 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to KritonD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonTon2003
mine just broke today. I'm going to drop it off at the dealer on Tuesday (still under warranty) to fix.
did the dealer fix yours? i tried to claim it under my CPO. says its not covered, and it costs 1000 bucks to fix pretty hilarious.
KritonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #15
kiddkynetik

My Ride: is rolling on Dubbs
Send a message via AIM to kiddkynetik
i have the diy with pictures n stuff if anyones interested, just shoot me your email addresss through pm and i'll forward it to you.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #16
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddkynetik
i have the diy with pictures n stuff if anyones interested, just shoot me your email addresss through pm and i'll forward it to you.
right here!!

or email to raimund.ganancial@bshg.com

thanks

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:19 PM   #17
trdehmer

I just did my friends this weekend too. 34$ instead of $300
Old 09-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #18
mikegavone

My Ride: 2001 330I Sport/Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdehmer
I just did my friends this weekend too. 34$ instead of $300
Did mine also thanks to this thread. It is very easy so don't be intimidated. Thr trickiest part was getting the sunroof flush with the roof of the car when putting it back together. No big deal though.
mikegavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:32 AM   #19
FutureMD32

My Ride: 2004 M3
Those sunshade clips went up in price, I went to the stealership today and they wanted over 98 bucks!?!?! anyone know where to get them cheaper?!?!

I am about to just remove the whole damn thing..it's dirty now from being off track..

98 bucks for 4 small pieces of plastic, i better get a nice BJ from the hot receptionist working there.
1998 Nissan S14 240sx, powered by RB26
1990 Nissan S13 240sx, 630 whp SR20DET
1995 Subaru Legacy, EJ20R, 410 whp
Soon to have 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0
FutureMD32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:16 AM   #20
nickesj

My Ride: 325i, ZX6R, ZX7R
1000$ sucks, just got mine fix under warranty. Hopefully they used the better clip.