E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2002, 10:41 AM   #1
dronell19
JDM - Style

My Ride: is sold
Send a message via MSN to dronell19
Question Audiophiles.. need help

I have HK system on my car.

And now I've been offered these things for sale at a very good price.

2 10" JL Audio W6
4 MB Quartz speakers and tweeters
AudioArt and Genesis amps
and that farad tube thing.. not sure..

I'M NO AUDIOPHILE so I don't understand much about car audio. But do you think these items combined with a good install will give me better set up than my HK? I wanna keep the head unit and preferrably have some trunk space still

I'm open to suggestions. Again, I've been offered to buy them at a very good price. Just wondering if I should take em.

Gone but never forgotten; E46Fanatics first Arqray+Strassentech combo
dronell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:45 AM   #2
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
Try the new I.C.E. forum!
Old 09-13-2002, 10:45 AM   #3
dronell19
JDM - Style

I didn't see there's a new forum
Can you please move this for me, B? Thanks!

Old 09-13-2002, 11:18 AM   #4
abefroman

My Ride: 2000 323i
That setup would be excellent, however, you would need to use line output converters for those amps, which would degrade the quality. ALso, it depends which model quarts those are.
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 11:36 AM   #5
dronell19
JDM - Style

What if I just get the subs, buy a better quality amplifier, and keep my HK speakers? How does that sound?

Reason being, I really don't wanna change the speakers and in turn having to modify the interior of the car.

Old 09-13-2002, 11:43 AM   #6
djabaley
does anyone read my p0sts?

My Ride: 325 slushbox
A couple things for you...

The MB Quart speakers are excellent speakers; however, most people -- including myself -- find their high notes to be too high. When I was deciding on speakers I found that the MBQ's hurt my ears w/ the higher notes. Before deciding on what to ask yourself: am I happy w/ my current sound quality level? What's your main beef with the HK system? It's probably that you don't have any bass. If that's your beef get those W6 subs; they are excellent. If you want better sound quality, you may want to *consider* some speakers. Adding bass is fairly easy: a subwoofer, an amplifier, and a box. But, speakers can get even more complicated for what you really want. You'll have additional installation costs, another amplifer to purchase, and you'll need to get a new head unit for optimum quality. So, before you do anything ask yourself how happy you are. If you think the HK system sounds good but needs bass, then pick up the subwoofers and amp. If you notice speaker distortion in the HK system, consider some new speakers. Or, if you think the HK system sounds great, don't do anything at all! Just because others think certain things will make your system sound better, only you can be the judge. Most people get started in car audio by adding more bass, and that where I suggest you start.

ps...that "farad tube thing" is a capacitor. When used in conjunction w/ a subwoofer amplifier it helps your car's power system handle the extra power demands from added amplifiers. The rating of "one farad" indicates the amount of power "storage" it is capabale of.
djabaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 11:43 AM   #7
abefroman

GEnesis amp are some of the best around. As for the speakers, you could install them in the stock locations depending on the model. I have an xtant amp running Rainbow Pro's in stock locations, and it looks completely stock
Old 09-13-2002, 12:41 PM   #8
dronell19
JDM - Style

DJABALEY and ABEFROMAN -

Wow, a couple of posts and I know a fair bit more than I did an hour ago

Thanks for the info guys.

DJ - Yeah I guess it started out when a friend asked me to buy his audio stuff. So I start asking around. Come to think about it *after a quick listen in the garage*, I am happy with the sound quality of the speakers, it's just the base. So I'm probably gonna go buy those subs and an amp

ABE - I have yet to find out which Genesis amp type he has.

QUESTION - would a crossover help in my situation?

Old 09-13-2002, 01:38 PM   #9
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
Before you dump serious dough on a genesis. Let me ask you, do you have trained ear. I mean that are you good about picking out various tonal qualities in speaker setups. If not I suggest you save your money and get a not go overboard with the amps.

A genesis amp should sound the say as an RF amp when both have the same signals w/o clipping. In clipping is when you see some diff.

If you are a casual listeners who wants clean sound any reputable amp will do. Im not trying to say Genesis is bad. I myself got a Brax amp. But trying to point some ways you dont have to spend your money unecessarily.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:46 PM   #10
dronell19
JDM - Style

MCD007 - I understand what you're trying to say. Like I said, I at this stage do not know which type Genesis amp he's selling. Maybe it's the cheapest one

But like I said, the price for the whole thing he gave me is pretty cheap... 500 bux. So I just wanted to get some opinion

Thanks for the advice, bro!

Last edited by dronell19; 09-13-2002 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:50 PM   #11
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
Quote:
Originally posted by dronell19
MCD007 - I understand what you're trying to say. Like I said, I at this stage do not know which type Genesis amp he's selling. Maybe it's the cheapest one

But like I said, the price for the whole thing he gave me is 500 bux. So I just wanted to get some opinion

Thanks for the advice, bro!
$500? BUY IT...

If you don't ill take em.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:59 PM   #12
abefroman

Only $500? I agree, I would do it in a sec. Even if you don't use it, you could sell it on ebay for more. If you need info on the Genesis amp, Peter Lufrano at www.theautophile.com used to sell them, and still might. Give him a call, he's a really nice guy
Old 09-13-2002, 04:31 PM   #13
bmw2003325ci

My Ride: 2003 325 ci Oct.2002
Send a message via AIM to bmw2003325ci
10W3'S ARE THE BEST
Old 09-13-2002, 05:42 PM   #14
djabaley
does anyone read my p0sts?

My Ride: 325 slushbox
glad I could educate you a little . Go for the subs and genesis amp if you want more bass. (ps...bass is spelled as such, not "base"...I always used to do that too) The genisis amp might be a little more than you need right now, but if you want to upgrade later it'll be a good jumping-off point!
djabaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 07:51 AM   #15
dronell19
JDM - Style

Thanks for the opinions, guys
I'll let you know how it turns out later