E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do your HREs have this issue?
Nope mine are fine 8 19.51%
Yes I have that issue 14 34.15%
I wish i had HREs 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #1
CrazyBimmer
Manwhore

My Ride: 09 M3 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to CrazyBimmer
For those who have HREs, do you have this vibrating issue?

Having a little debate on if there are other owners out there with this issue.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...5968389-1.html

Quote:
problem is not only with HREs, but with any three-piece wheel with "R" or "reverse drop" straight lips:

Keep in mind that any of the HRE "R" wheels, IE the reverse drop center wheels, have a horrible and to me completely unacceptable side effet to their gorgeous looks and flat lip.

If you're driving your car and it starts to rain, forget about going anything over 70.

Reason this happens is to make the flat lip, they put the bend of the rim to the inside towards the car. I would asssume that bend needs to be in the rim for strenght. Look at the picture here to see more clearly what Im talking about. Its a 545R but the basid rim (round part) design is the same for all the 540R series wheels.

I put red dots to indicate the area of the lip Im talking about. What it basicaly creates is a little valley for water to pool and collect in. When you're driving, centrifugal force pushes water in to this channel and it cannot escape.

You end up with a ring of water circling around your rim COMPLETELY throwing off the balance of the wheel and causing extreme vibration felt through your bum and the steering wheel.

Look at the regular 545 for comparison.

You'll note it does not have that valley that Im talking about. They moved that bend out to the lip. If I could have my cake & eat it too, I would prefer the flat lip, but to me it is completely unacceptable to not be able to drive normally in the rain on the highway.

ANY modern car equiped with good tires should and is capable of operating perfectly safely at speeds of 70+ in the rain given apropriate traffic conditions.

I speak not from rumor but from experience. I have a set of HRE 445R's which I will be selling soon due to this very reason, and Im upgrading to 545's with the curved lip. After 3 days in a row of having to crawl along the highway in the rain and after countless stops on the side of the road with a rag to soak out the water from the wheels I've had it.

Hopefully you see what I mean about the issue. I've seen a few things which claim to fix them which I have not had a chance to try. I would speak with HRE directly regarding this issue before you buy.

Just wanted to give you a little heads up so you know what you may be getting into.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
M-ONE

My Ride: M III / Range Rover
Yes this problem does exist.... i have the problem on my car and so does my buddy.... we both have 440 series... it is a huge design flaw by HRE.... their response to the problem was basically thats how it is and you have to live with it
M-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler

My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
Funny, haven't heard of this problem with iForged wheels or what others would be so quick to say, iForgery.
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
C ///M

My Ride: E30 332iS R.I.P.
Please keep in mind that problem is only possible with the HRE "R" series wheels, not all HRE wheels and is also possible with any 3 peice wheel that has a reverse drop center.
C ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:38 PM   #5
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
hmm I havent had any problems
Old 01-19-2005, 08:06 AM   #6
xcusme

My Ride: BMW M3
[QUOTE=CrazyBimmer]Having a little debate on if there are other owners out there with this issue.

I am glad you rised the subject. I have the HRE 542R's and I have the same problem with the vibration in the wheel due to water collecting in the channel. Had I known this was going to be an issue I would not have purchased these wheels. I love the look, however the wheel issue destroys my total satisfaction.
xcusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
330 HRE
Banned

My Ride: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328
Funny, haven't heard of this problem with iForged wheels or what others would be so quick to say, iForgery.
All 3 piece rims have this problem. It just depends how much rain you get in your area for the rim to hold the water inside. HRE, Kinesis, Iforged, DPE, and all the other variations of the same thing, forged center, cast lip. As long as they have the same lip, reverse instead of the drop....they will have the same issues.
330 HRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #8
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
Its an ugly thing, I mean is anyone here in florida experiencing these issues?

I was told its not a real big deal, But it can happen depending on the factors... I wonder if your tires would help remedy the situation a little and how low your riding the car...., I mean im not one to go out if its raining unless totally necessary, but if Im cought in the rain going in a long trip, I will just have to swap rims...not fun really, but whatelse can you do....

I suppose you dont wanna take that **** 500 miles on your precious jewels..
///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:44 PM   #9
Dr. McGilicutty

My Ride: 2003 M5, 2001 Z8
If you don't have that problem then you've a) never driven in the rain or b) don't have reverse lip wheels.
Dr. McGilicutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:25 PM   #10
Antroiny
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)

My Ride: 2005 ///M3
Mine vibrate a little, but it's tolerable. Probably because I only have 18" rims, and probably because my suspension is always set on full stiff. I find it most noticable only when my speed changes, i.e.: going 65 is fine, but when I slow down to like 45-50, the vibration kicks in. If I go back up to 65 or if I stay at 45-50 for a couple minutes, it almost completely goes away.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
joem

My Ride: 2007 530xi
jesus. this is total BS. No one ever told me this. I live in Ohio, where we have extremely wet springs and falls and i just dropped 6000 dollars on rims. i can't believe this was not mentioned on their site when I ordered my wheels. Total BS im really pissed off. here are my wheels BTW, not even put on the car yet. HRE 545R 19".

joem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #12
joem

My Ride: 2007 530xi
bump.
joem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:32 PM   #13
Antroiny
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)

My Ride: 2005 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joem
jesus. this is total BS. No one ever told me this. I live in Ohio, where we have extremely wet springs and falls and i just dropped 6000 dollars on rims. i can't believe this was not mentioned on their site when I ordered my wheels. Total BS im really pissed off. here are my wheels BTW, not even put on the car yet. HRE 545R 19".
Each person notices it to a different degree, I think. And I think tire selection/alignment/aftermarket suspension mods also play a role in this. Like I mentioned earlier, it's pretty slight and totally tolerable to me, and doesn't happen all the time. I find that if it's annoying me, it's easy enough to empty out most of the water by taking a turn at a moderate speed which will cause most of the water to flow out because of gravity. In my case, it's slight enough for passengers not to feel it, most of the vibration comes through the steering wheel and felt nowhere else. And living in Seattle, we get about 230 days of rain a year here (just look at my sig photo).
Old 08-24-2005, 04:13 PM   #14
xcusme

My Ride: BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joem

Totally agree man. That is totally unacceptable.
xcusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #15
330 HRE
Banned

My Ride: 330
Yes the vibration does happen, like everyone else says...just depends how much gas. Usually around in San Diego, there is like hardly any rain, but this year we had a freak thing where we got lots of rain and there goes the wheels...vibrate like no other.
330 HRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:31 PM   #16
Jeuprx-8

My Ride: rolls only Michelins
had the same problems with my 446R 18" wheels. Don't have that problem with my $850 CSL rep's.
Jeuprx-8 is offline   Reply With Quote