E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
GnarlyCow

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
Proper technique to clean rims

I have SSR GT3 rims which are silver with a polished rim. I am wondering how you guys clean your rims.

I have been using Meguiar's Hot Rims and it seems to do a good job. I use a rim brush to scrub off the brake dust.

Once I have rinced off the rims, I have been drying the rims with a 100% cotton towel. However, I'm starting to see small swirl mark type scratches in the polished rims, and I'm assuming this has to be from drying the rim.

Should I not be drying the rims after? If I should, how can I avoid putting these swirl marks in the rim? I have been drying because water pools at the bottom of the rim behind the ridge that has the bolts that go around the outside of the rim.
GnarlyCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
Think about using detail spray when you dry your wheels - spray it on the wet wheel, then dry it. "Dry" towels will leave swirls / micro scrathes, and the detail spray acts like a lubricant between the towel and the surface. (works for drying the whole car too........) It also leaves a very thin layer of wax on the wheel, which seems to help shed the brake dust a little bit.
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
That Meguiar's stuff sucks in my experience.

I use a 3 step process that works pretty well.

1. After I finish washing my car, I wet the wheels with the hose, then I pour out the soap water in my bucket and refill it with a higher concentration of soap in water. I dip my wheel brush ($5 at auto parts store) in it and start scrubbing down the rims till they're fairly clean.

2. Spray down the rims ago, and take a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser ($1 for a sample pack at Target) to it to get to the tighter parts of the rim and to clean up any missed spots. Trust me, this thing works wonders.

3. Dry the wheels off with a terry cloth, and apply wax to it. The wax you use on your car is just fine. Wait. Buff. And your wheels will look as good as new. The wax will help slow down the brake dust build up too.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Another good tip for wheels to give them more enduring protection and a great shine is a wheel sealant. It's like a wax but it's designed to protect your wheel from high temperature brake dust bonding to the surface. I use Poorboy's Wheel Sealant http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...ory_Code=Wheel and it does a great job of keeping the brake dust and contamination on the surface for easy removal. After I use it I can usually just use a hose to get the rest of the brake dust off for regualr cleanings.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
TeamStealthAuto
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Cobra, future M3
I've heard rave reviews about PB's new Wheel Sealant.
TeamStealthAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamStealthAuto
I've heard rave reviews about PB's new Wheel Sealant.
They're all true, this stuff is great and it even smells like watermelon bubble gum.
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:19 PM   #7
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
I use the WS and its pretty good, i'm not sure if its any better than any other sealant though.

I would NOT use a magic eraser on your wheels, those things are an abrasive.
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:31 PM   #8
emthree

My Ride: E46 / E60 M5
Send a message via MSN to emthree
Looking for some cleaning products myself
emthree is offline   Reply With Quote