E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.46 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2003, 05:43 PM   #21
remington

My Ride: 2006 M3 competition
Wonderful information. I do disagree with a point. Why not the microfiber towels and cotton towels from Costco? I haven't used them but I have looked at them and they look just as good as the MF towels I use and they are cheaper.
remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:33 AM   #22
SDpnoy

My Ride: 330Ci and M3
Nice write up.
SDpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:36 AM   #23
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
should be added to the detailing forum
Old 12-16-2003, 01:56 PM   #24
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Man, I'm gone for 4 weeks and now all of a sudden there is a detailing forum?? Or did I miss this before....

Anyways, great tips JFawwaz.

I used to detail cars professionaly and I'd see so much bad advice being given from unexperienced detailers. I 100% completely agree with all the tips and steps you stated. We should write a damn book together on this!!

I think over time most people learn this major steps in detailing...but the tricks are to learn how to detail those "odds and ends". Such as how to detail black bumperettes, door jambs, wheel wells, headliners...tricky stuff like that. If anyone has questions about things such as these, you can ask me as well!!

Great post man!

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #25
m002

My Ride: Mmmmm
Quote:
POLISHING

If your paint finish is not scratched at all, use a glaze. These will polish your paint deep down and will provide a very "wet-looking" surface. Glazes will not remove scratches or swirls, but the oils inside will fill them im for a very short period of time. The recommended glazes are:

3M Imperial Hand Glaze
Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze
P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
What do you think of the nufinish polish? Is it like a glaze? thanks
Old 04-02-2004, 11:35 AM   #26
Lugnut2683

Quote:
Originally Posted by m002
What do you think of the nufinish polish? Is it like a glaze? thanks
Nu Finish is a polish (which is similar to a glaze), except that it's supposed to last for over a year. My personal experience with Nu Finish is that it is a low grade product. Upon using it, I experienced moderate results. Stick with Meguiar's or Mother's, or better yet, Griot's Garage products

Old 04-02-2004, 06:14 PM   #27
m002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut2683
Nu Finish is a polish (which is similar to a glaze), except that it's supposed to last for over a year. My personal experience with Nu Finish is that it is a low grade product. Upon using it, I experienced moderate results. Stick with Meguiar's or Mother's, or better yet, Griot's Garage products
thanks
Old 04-03-2004, 09:33 AM   #28
BMVEE

My Ride: 325Ci Convertible
Send a message via MSN to BMVEE
Great post... My last car was black so I had to go to school to find the best method of keeping the finish as new as possible. You pretty much summed up every step I use in an easy to follow process... bravo!

I read a great thread written by a fella who owned a black Jaguar XJS. The car was well used and looked showroom! He suggested and I adopted a process to keep things a little easier for me. Its not the purist approach, but it does work well, although I do go back to the same process described in this thread when the finish needs it. I use nothing but Meguiars (tried many others, but keep coming back ) I start with #6 cleaner wax using 2 palm orbitals (one to apply, one to remove) changing bonnets regularly (microfiber). I finish with #26 HiTech Yellow wax. This stuff is just incredible . When I applied it to black paint, I was absolutely blown away at how deep and rich the paint looked. Visibly darker than the unwaxed area.

Anyway... just sharing a thought. I'd go into more detail, but with respect, this is your highly detailed (pun) and brilliantly explained post! Excellent Job!

Mods... absolutely sticky this process!

BTW... I now have a '01 Titanium Silver 325CI Convertible, so I spend less time polishing and more time cruzin... later
BMVEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:09 PM   #29
romans623

My Ride: 330ci
bump... good stuff

2001 Titanium 330ci
Bone Stock
30% Tint

"Moon River!!"
romans623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:56 PM   #30
DN328

My Ride: 1999 | Dinan 3
the detailing advice looks veeeeeery familiar...like the one posted on "carcareonline.com" ...either way thought it was good info. then, and good info now, still...
DN328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #31
richbmw323

My Ride: 2000 323ia SC'd
Nice write up and all that stuff costs 70 bucks total

2000 Sebring Silver Metallic Coupe C5 Corvette
richbmw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 02:15 PM   #32
VSant8

My Ride: .
1. Wash your car with DAWN dish soap to remove any remaining wax.

how mch dawn per gallon of water
VSant8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:50 PM   #33
m002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVEE
Great post... My last car was black so I had to go to school to find the best method of keeping the finish as new as possible. You pretty much summed up every step I use in an easy to follow process... bravo!

I read a great thread written by a fella who owned a black Jaguar XJS. The car was well used and looked showroom! He suggested and I adopted a process to keep things a little easier for me. Its not the purist approach, but it does work well, although I do go back to the same process described in this thread when the finish needs it. I use nothing but Meguiars (tried many others, but keep coming back ) I start with #6 cleaner wax using 2 palm orbitals (one to apply, one to remove) changing bonnets regularly (microfiber). I finish with #26 HiTech Yellow wax. This stuff is just incredible . When I applied it to black paint, I was absolutely blown away at how deep and rich the paint looked. Visibly darker than the unwaxed area.

Anyway... just sharing a thought. I'd go into more detail, but with respect, this is your highly detailed (pun) and brilliantly explained post! Excellent Job!

Mods... absolutely sticky this process!

BTW... I now have a '01 Titanium Silver 325CI Convertible, so I spend less time polishing and more time cruzin... later
Shouldn't you polish before you waxed? Or is the #6 are like polish? I though #6 is to remove the old wax.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #34
Fawwaz

My Ride: 3 series
jesus this thread is still up?
Fawwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:42 PM   #35
Fawwaz

My Ride: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by m002
Shouldn't you polish before you waxed? Or is the #6 are like polish? I though #6 is to remove the old wax.
theres no law that you have to polish before waxing. hell you can just be a lazy ass and skip the the cleaning/polishing stage and go straight to waxing but your car will not have the great shine you must be hoping for if you are reading this thread.

many people have different styles of waxing. the #6 is a cleaner wax meaning it cleans/polishes/and waxes in one step, but it sure doesnt produce a deep, mirror-finish shine. that's why he throws #26 on top.
Fawwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #36
Lugnut2683

Polishing is used for the purpose of filling scratches and imperfections in the paint. Polish will add "depth" to your paint, whereas waxing will add "gloss". If you own a white or silver car (as I do), polishing has minimal effects on the overall apperance of the paint finish. It can be used to fill in minor visible scratches, but otherwise is not quite as an important step as it may be on a black or red vehicle. This is why BMVEE said he spends more time waxing than polishing.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #37
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

My Ride: E46
Send a message via MSN to Alex

brought back from the pits!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #38
pjk208
Banned

My Ride: 323i, Cord V6, ES300
Send a message via AIM to pjk208
a bump for those newbie car detailers out there...
pjk208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:22 PM   #39
spifster007

My Ride: 2000 AW 323i
Send a message via AIM to spifster007
wow... this makes me want to go wash my car... nice work on the write-up, lots of good info there.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:08 AM   #40
Bandit

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Cool

Just wanted to give this a bump, and say thanks for the info!
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote