E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to LAFENGAS
Arrow DIY: Custom stealth V1 radar install *pics*

Not the most challanging of installs, but it did have it's complications. It's pretty straight forward, just relocating the functions/switches of the detector.

I'll be short but sweet. Basically, i found the concealed display offered by V1 as just a stupid selling factor. To me, the best place to get a look at your radar dislpay is up by the rear view mirror (where the V1 is traditionally located) or the gauge cluster... to minimize how far you take you eyes of the road. To me, having the radar hidden was the point of the concealed display, not where you look. So I decided to relocate my radar to the back of the car, for a few reasons.

1.) If i decide to leave my windows down when running errands, i don't have to worry about somebody reaching in and swiping my radar detector

2.) If a cop sees my radar detector and pulls me over for speeding, he is less likely to give me just a 'warning'

3.) I don't want my driving view cluttered with more then it needs

So with this, i relocated the detector to the rear of the car. This being said, radar waves travel through most materials (glass, flesh, leather) with the exception of metal. So by mounting my radar detector in the rear window, i have not lost my ability to trace radar waves. Laser is different, but when that goes off it's pretty much too late anyways. Given the pros i stated above, the reduced ability to detect laser from the front has been reduced (however rear laser detection has been increased)

Research on a radar detector forum has tested this location and gave similar results in comparing rear and front mount. This being said, i move on.

first thing... this is a list of the things i did for the install:

1.) Installed detector at the rear window, passanger side center
2.) Hardwire into my accessory power
3.) Relocated the Buzzer/speaker to the front of the car
4.) Relocated the volume control to the front of the car
5.) Hardwired a mute function into my steering wheel buttons
6.) Replaced my OEM rearview mirror with a 2 way mirror
7.) Located the concealed display behind my rear viewmirror
8.) Fabricated a mounting point to the rear passanger headrest
9.) Made a detector cover to further conceal its location

a.) I am replacing my frequency band surface mount LED's with different colors for easier identification. From the factory all the LED's are red. (i.e. Laser = blue led, X-band = green, orange, yellow..etc.)

b.) Fabricating a concealed mount at the rear window making it difficult to tell the radar is in the rear window, even when looking at it. The suction cups on the rear window would be a dead giveaway.

And the install.
Dismantled the guts of my V1 1.8

this is the buzzer/speaker that actually makes the noise, that's located at the front of the car, inside my rearview mirror.

I ran all the wires to above my headliner and down the c-pillar into the trunk. Instead of running several wires, i took a 10' printercable, cut the ends off it then soldered a less cumbersome connection on the end. I didn't want to solder things directly to the V1, because i still wanted it to be removable if i need to take it out for whatever reason.

here's the printer cable i used to run 11 wires from front to back above the headliner, the pin connector already soldered. Like i stated, i did this because it was cleaner then running 11 individual wires and making a mess with connectors etc.

The buzzer/speaker I replaced with a DC plug adapter. By putting the DC plug in I ran a couple wires to the front at the rearview mirror so my sound would be up front, not in back with the detector. Also this allowed me to plug/unplug that wire making the detector still removable.

I also wanted to incorporate the mute function so I tapped into the conealed display mute wire (it's a yellow wire that goes into the phone jack plug). By putting momentary switch ( other leg of the switch is ground(-)) it enables the mute. So i made a momentary switch behind one of my inactive steering wheel buttons. This now mutes my V1 without removing my hands from the wheel.

I forgot to take a picture of the momentary switch, it's pretty sweet though. I ripped apart an old keyboard and fabricated it with that.
The switch was placed here on my the silicon board, beneath the R/T button located on the left hand side of my steering wheel. When i push that button, it closes the circuit to the momentary switch, then muting the v1.

since my OEM mirror dosen't allow any light through it, I had to replace it with a 2-way mirror. For this I went to CarQuest and purchased a generic replacement SIDE-VIEW mirror for a pick-up truck. Sideview mirrors are usually 2 way mirrors to prevent glare. when a light source is placed behind the mirror, it can be seen. In this case...the v1 concealed display.

After obtaining the 2 way mirror, i cut it to the same shape as my original using the OEM glass as a template.

Here's what the display looks like through the glass/mirror. again, the appearance will change when I change the LED's and figure out how to re-work the arrow indicator system. The volume control is also located inside my rearviw mirror, the control knob sticks out the of the mirror housing so i can still adjust the volume if need be.

LAFENGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

I then cut and formed a piece of aluminum to mount the V1, using the headrest pegs as a mounting point.

as it sits in the car, it's level and clear of interior objects.

once the mounting piece was formed up I powdercoated it 'wrinkle black' to blend in with my interior a bit more.

Then I made a mold out of wood/foam to make a cover for the v1 to further disguise it from looking like a radar detector

The fit is pretty nice tight. The cover was formed out of Carbon Fiber. I cut the opening then to expose the optical recievers,then covered with vinyl (until i can come across the leather to match) and filled the holes with the factory v1 plastic covers.

Then preassemebled everything and this is the final look.

and that's it.

After driving around for a bit, theres a few things i will change in the future. I plan on remaking the cover for it to look even less like a detector. Plus i may change it's mounting location to the center tie down between the rear headrests, still lifting it 6"-8" off the parcel shelf. I want to do the relocation just for symetry in hiding it a bit more, eventhough technically it will be more exposed.

So there may be a v1 mounting bracket and concealed cover for sale on here soon.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
S2Krazy
A Flammable Plumber

My Ride: ****ED UP CL
Send a message via AIM to S2Krazy Send a message via MSN to S2Krazy
bro you do some amazing work
S2Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
hmmm original but to much work just for a radar that can simply go right about the mirror on the windshield

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP

INSTAGRAM : itsjorgebrah
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojoda
hmmm original but to much work just for a radar that can simply go right about the mirror on the windshield

too much work for some...i enjoy it though. When it came down to it, i only paid for the detector and everything else was $0. That's why hobbies are great...it just doesn't matter.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
Well... if its your hobbie i understand...

But one of my friends has his v1 inside his freaking mirror... not thats but too much dough... i give you props for your creativity though

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFENGAS
too much work for some...i enjoy it though. When it came down to it, i only paid for the detector and everything else was $0. That's why hobbies are great...it just doesn't matter.

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP

INSTAGRAM : itsjorgebrah
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #7
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
SICK SIIICK SIIIICK

awsome dude... I say change the leather to that wrinkle paint into a more solid looking box so that you dont see the leather wrapping buldging like that.

exellent mod
///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
wow thats sweet but i gotta say, right next to rear view mirror by the tinted strip is enough and concealed.

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
oh mannnnnn

all i have ever wanted was to use those 2 useless steering wheel buttons for my radar detector (one for power, one for mute), and everyone told me it was impossible!

I might be interested in learning that DIY......

great work!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #10
douglas_ngo
Europrojektz Southeast

My Ride: Hamann Widebody
Great Job. Mad skills
Old 08-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #11
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Thats freakin insane man. Awesome work.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #12
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
Great work bro and I love DIY.

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #13
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Wow man that is one heckuvan install!
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #14
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

thanks everybody. It functions well and i accomplished everything I wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey 3er
wow thats sweet but i gotta say, right next to rear view mirror by the tinted strip is enough and concealed.
i listed my reasons for relocating it in the initial post:

1.) If i decide to leave my windows down when running errands, i don't have to worry about somebody reaching in and swiping my radar detector

2.) If a cop sees my radar detector and pulls me over for speeding, he is less likely to give me just a 'warning'

Old 08-28-2005, 01:35 PM   #15
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
Quote:
thanks everybody. It functions well and i accomplished everything I wanted to.

i listed my reasons for relocating it in the initial post:

couldnt agree more, but Id do it central in the rear, and put it above the third headrest in the middle, after you install the headrest of course..LOL
///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #16
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherside
couldnt agree more, but Id do it central in the rear, and put it above the third headrest in the middle, after you install the headrest of course..LOL
i agree as well...

Quote:
....After driving around for a bit, theres a few things i will change in the future. I plan on remaking the cover for it to look even less like a detector. Plus i may change it's mounting location to the center tie down between the rear headrests, still lifting it 6"-8" off the parcel shelf. I want to do the relocation just for symetry in hiding it a bit more, eventhough technically it will be more exposed.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:55 PM   #17
AssassinGT
///Andrew Alewine

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Send a message via ICQ to AssassinGT Send a message via AIM to AssassinGT Send a message via MSN to AssassinGT Send a message via Yahoo to AssassinGT
I want it!

(Click Sig for More Pics)
AssassinGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:08 PM   #18
Presns323i
No Show, No Go

My Ride: E46[Retired], 2.0T
Send a message via AIM to Presns323i
insaneeeee
io really want a v1
Old 08-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #19
gr1f23

My Ride: 330ci 2002
good work not to many ppl have the balls to do that
gr1f23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:15 PM   #20
1badzhp

My Ride: 05 330 CI ZHP
Send a message via AIM to 1badzhp Send a message via MSN to 1badzhp Send a message via Yahoo to 1badzhp
Wow you do some sick DIY work!!!
1badzhp is offline   Reply With Quote