E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 10:00 PM   #21
samytampafl

My Ride: 325ci
Ok.. I haven't checked the thread in a while, but did find some information about it.. I would replace the blower.. it's not that expensive... the thing is that if u live in warm weather places ie: Florida, Texas and such.. the blower will keep that cluster at a lower temp than the rest of the engine compartment.. so as w/ any DIY is up to each individual to do it.. or not.. my advice save the money then change the blower.. the cricket shouldn't come up again for long time.. good luck!
samytampafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #22
Ian W

My Ride: 325 Ci Sport Coupe
That looks like a good fix but I think I have a different problem.
The noise is a constant buzz rather than a chirping sound.
The buzz remains after I remove the key from the ignition, I have never stayed in vehicle till the buzz times out so it must go on fro 5 or 10 minutes.

My car is a 325Ci Coupee with factory sat-nav and a/c.
The buzzing noise seems to be coming from behind the a/c panel (you know that very small grill thing you can see on each side on the a/c panel). The car is right hand drive has only covered 28K miles and is just out of warranty.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #23
Normstorm

My Ride: '02 BMW 325Ci
I have the exact same cricket sound and it is indeed annoying. I'm contemplating ordering the that blower part. Samytampafl, what year is your 325Ci, is the part # you mentioned compatible with a E46 2002 325Ci ?
Normstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #24
james2538

My Ride: Sold
I replaced my blower today, but I still get a high pitched chirping sound coming from the center console area (radio/ac vents) It happens while accelerating or moving, but also seems to happen when idling still. This is driving me insane!
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #25
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
I have this cricket sound myself, if i disconnect the blower and turn the car on it should be gone, so im gonna test, unless some tells me other wise... let me know if i can go for a test... if its not the fan, what else could it be?
///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 AM   #26
325Mark

My Ride: is riding low!
Send a message via AIM to 325Mark Send a message via MSN to 325Mark
IanW, I have the same problem as you. Mine is comming from the vent in the AC Unit. I thought it might be a fan to keep the electronics cool but im not sure. It also is there with the key out and it says there for quite some time before going away.

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

325Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:16 AM   #27
mnewln

My Ride: e46
I don't have that sound. Can i still hang with you guys?
mnewln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #28
ASD123187

My Ride: /!\
Send a message via AIM to ASD123187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewln View Post
I don't have that sound. Can i still hang with you guys?
Yea, don't trip.
You don't have to "buzz" to kick it...
Old 05-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #29
richards330i

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2538 View Post
I replaced my blower today, but I still get a high pitched chirping sound coming from the center console area (radio/ac vents) It happens while accelerating or moving, but also seems to happen when idling still. This is driving me insane!
Did you ever find an answer to your 'high pitched chirping' sound?... I have a similar problem. I just started looking through the forums and can't find a probable cause.

Thoughts?
richards330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #30
theduckylittle

My Ride: '01 325iX SW
I just did this last night to my '01 325xi sportwagen. Some tips to others:
1) Careful when pulling the cover from the dash, I accidentally broke one of the plastic "clips" that hold it up. One of the ones that are located directly below the steering column. Take your time with these.

2) I opted to unplug the electronics FIRST! This saved me a ton of time. Instead of having to get under the dash, get under the hood, unscrew stuff, get back under the dash, then do the fan swap, I was able to save a few steps by:
a) Unhook the electronics under the hood.
b) Get under the dash (had the new fan in hand)
c) Swap the fans
d) Return to under the hood and button things up.

I skipped the details over the dash-guard/plate/cover removal as I did that on the way in/out of getting under the dash similar to the original DIY instructions.

-Duck
theduckylittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #31
abbott0222

My Ride: 2002 330i
I hear this cricket but it does not sound like its coming from down by the floor boards. It sounds like it's right in front of me. Around the instrument panel. Is this the same area everyone heard the cricket sound?
abbott0222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #32
Nicker

My Ride: 323ci
Im not sure if I have a "cricket" sound or not.

Can someone post a sound clip plz!

00' 323ci - 170hp
Nicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #33
refill

My Ride: 2000 323 Ci
Part update: I been callling stealerships around my area and it seems this part has been superseded by a new part number:

It's still the same blower with cover part, but with a new number. Does anyone know if there is any difference in quality between the older part and this new one?
refill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #34
refill

My Ride: 2000 323 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by samytampafl View Post
(don't know what happened to the pics.. let's try again)
Ok.. here's the DIY for the cricket/electric buzz behind the dashboard (driver's side) culprit was the fan. You will need the following description and part number from the dealership: BLOWER WITH COVER PART NO. 12-14-1-437-454. Cost $70.00. It takes approx. 30 mins to change and you will need the following tools a hexagonal tool set and a phillips screw driver.

Here we go.. STEP 1: remove the plastic cover just above the pedals..

JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER REMOVE THE PIN
COMPLETY OFF THE FASTENER..
IF U PULL THE FASTENER WITH THE PIN INSIDE IT WILL BREAK!!!

STEP 2: remove the 3 screws from the blower.. yes this is the culprit to the cricket noise!!.. which dealer could never find..
Warning! once blower is free.. it's NOT!..
DO NOT PULL ON IT!! it's not yet free from the electric connection..

STEP 3: open hood.. head out to the front of the car.. find the electric box and remove the 4 hex screws, then remove the plastic cover..

STEP 4: Where my index finger is, in the back of the box you will see the connector to the blower slide it off (after releasing the safety clip it slides down not up...) Then disconnect the blower and retrieve it from the inside..

STEP 6: get replacement, connect it.. and place everything back!!

Hope this helps and enjoy u'r cricket free car!!
How do you free the clips that are directly under the streering column which holds the front of the the footwell trim in place? I am afraid if I tug too hard, I will snap some plastic or rip something from the inside out.
refill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #35
kp1pbr

My Ride: BMW 325i
You guys are awesome. I wanted to verify it's the blower before purchasing one and installing so I removed the cover under the hood and disconnected the blower connector. Started the car a few times and no more crickets. I'll be replacing the part as soon as it comes in. I was thinking it was the alternator going bad which is totally going off course. This bulletin has been very helpful.
kp1pbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:23 AM   #36
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
My Dad's x5 does the same thing!

bookmarking page.....
Old 08-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #37
Telecoguy

My Ride: 330i
My sound - is this the same as yours?

Hi Guys,

Did you still have the noise when you turn the fan completely off? (I did) The other problem I face is that my high-pitch chirping / buzzing sound is inconsistent - my mechanics and BMW say they have to find it first.

My sound happens only when the car is on, and only sometimes - when I turn the car off and take out the key, I hear a fan for a few seconds more, but I don't think the chirping has continued. Can someone help confirm if this is the blower? If not the blower, does the group have experience with any other possibilities for the issue?

I've had my car at the mechanic for 3 weeks now - it may not recognize me when I go pick it up!! =)

Thanks in advance!
Telecoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #38
jpk226

My Ride: 325cic
I actually did this same thing without these directions would have been a lot easier with this, but this is exactly how to do it. Also I got mine used off ebay for 30$ off an e39 works great. If you have this problem follow these steps and do it outside under the steering wheel is very dark GREAT DIY.
jpk226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #39
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...acuum+line+mpg

if you have hissing noise on your gauge cluster..during stop and go.

I get the cricket on my sterring wheel column, i was thinking its more the epod gauge holders..comes and goes..

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #40
basanti

My Ride: 2002 325i
Part Number

Awesome info.. I was looking this forever.

Where did u buy the part from..please do post

thanks
basanti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blower, cover