E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
EVAP capillary leak (0.5mm) detected

Guys,

This problem been bothering lately.

The check engine light does not come on. I can only pick it up when scanning with my Peake's Tool.

I already changed my fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and the fuel hose around the fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator.

Additionally, I also changed my gas cap.

No matter what I do I keep on getting this error code. I know .5mm isn;t much but now it is driving me crazy.

Prior to the problem, each time I open the gas cap fill my car at the gas station I will always here a "gushing/vacum/pressure" sound. However, ever since I have the "EVAP capillary leak (0.5mm) detected" error I no longer hear that "gushing/vacum/pressure" sound from my gas tank.

Any ideas?
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
greatx

My Ride: 2007 328xi
I am having the same error (also with the Peake tool). But I also have the error 41 (Camshaft sensor - intake cam).

Could you figure out what is wrong??
greatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Surk

My Ride: C Blk E46///M3
I had this same prob in summer, and dealer replaced the evap canister valve in rear that syphons fuel between the tanks.. apparently it's common to replace these once in a E46 lifespan..
Old 12-20-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
ADA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surk
I had this same prob in summer, and dealer replaced the evap canister valve in rear that syphons fuel between the tanks.. apparently it's common to replace these once in a E46 lifespan..

Maybe this is why.

Prior to this problem: My gas tank would always have the glushing sound (ie...opening a soda bottle) when I am at the gas station filling my car up

After the problem: No matter how low my gas level is I will never hear the gushing sound.

My dealers thought my gas cap was not tighten. That was false. I got so upset that I replaced my gas cap with a brand new one. However, that didn't fix the problem either.

I will tell my dealer evap cansister valve thingy though. Thanks!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
ADA
Banned

Quote:
Hello....do you still have your service record. If so, can you PLEASE PLEASE post the parts number. Numerous people on here will appreciate your input.

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks
Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 AM   #6
Surk

My Ride: C Blk E46///M3
I'll look for it and post the p\n..hopefully it helps others out as cause\fix..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
Hello....do you still have your service record. If so, can you PLEASE PLEASE post the parts number. Numerous people on here will appreciate your input.

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks
Surk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
jaymar88

My Ride: Acura
I second that. I'm pulling two code, both referring to the air pump.

I'd like to see what the service sheet said.
jaymar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
ADA
Banned

Quote:
I'll look for it and post the p\n..hopefully it helps others out as cause\fix..
please do! thank you
Old 12-22-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
Tom Busby

My Ride: 2001 325i, 1995 318i
Check the solenoid valve that is on the passenger side rear of the car, on the underneath, behind a black plastic cover. Remove the plastic cover and then unhook the little solenoid (looks like an inductor coil of copper wire with a valve on the other side -- about 1 1/2" long and as big as a quarter around) and then pop the cover off the solenoid, re-grease the rubber seals front and back, and put it back together. The rubber seals and the solenoid are made a lot better than they need to be so don't replace the part. Just refresh the seals with some fresh dilectric grease (which is merely a high quality vasoline grease).
Tom Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
ADA
Banned

UPDATE: Went to the dealer last week. they did a leak test and couldnt find/detect anything. they charged me $35 for it.

So far the leak (error code) hasn't come back yet.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #11
MarvelPhx
www.my330i.com

My Ride: E92335i,04ZHP,99M3
Send a message via AIM to MarvelPhx
The car does this evap test every other time you drive the car basically. It runs a small pump that pushes air through a .5mm orifice into the evaporative fuel system. It then measures the load the pump encounters and checks it to see if, once it reaches a peak, if it must keep pumping. This shows a leak.

The leak could be anywhere in the evap system, but I would check valves, hoses, and the canister itself.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #12
ADA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
UPDATE: Went to the dealer last week. they did a leak test and couldnt find/detect anything. they charged me $35 for it.

So far the leak (error code) hasn't come back yet.

Error code came back. The dealers order some part for the replacement. I can't remember what he said. However, when I get my car fix (later this week. thursday or Friday) I will post the total price, part number, item discription, and whether or not it is covered under CPO warranty.

P.S. Please remind me to update if I forget. Lots of people on e46 post questions to their problem but are too busy to post updates so that other members can learn from their experience.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:46 AM   #13
E46Marine

My Ride: 99 323I
Hey ADA, you were supposes to post the results after the dealer fix your evap leak. Please post.
E46Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #14
cimbali

My Ride: 323i
This post is on the money for me! Looking foward to ADA's reply. I am bringing my car to the dealer to address this same problem!
cimbali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #15
ADA
Banned

busy but will post update ASAP
Old 05-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
ADA
Banned

it was the evap canister
Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #17
celsoglima

My Ride: 2001 330i
Does anybody know the part number of this "evap canister" or another name used for it? Could not find it on realoem.com.
celsoglima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #18
cimbali

My Ride: 323i
For my car it would be 16131183893...but check out realoem.com to confirm
cimbali is offline   Reply With Quote