E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
samytampafl

My Ride: 325ci
Lightbulb cricket noise/electric buzz behind dashboard driver's side

Ok.. here's the DIY for the cricket/electric buzz behind the dashboard (driver's side) culprit is an air blower that feeds cabin temperature air into an electronic cluster across the firewall.. this blower works at all times with the A/C either on or off.. blower is on as long as the key is on the second position, so after 80k miles of use or such, the blower begins to loose it's balance and the blower itself begins to scratch the plastic housing hence creating the chirp/cricket/buzz sounds behind the dashboard on the driver's side.. so I found the blower, took it apart, and greased it but all it did was hide the noise for a couple of days.. no good!

To fix this problem you will need the following description and part number from the dealership:
BLOWER WITH COVER PART NO. 12-14-1-437-454. Cost $70.00.

It takes approx. 30 mins to change and the following tools:
a hexagonal tool set and a phillips screw driver.

STEP 1: remove the plastic cover just above the pedals..

JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER REMOVE THE PIN
COMPLETY OFF THE FASTENER..
IF U PULL THE FASTENER WITH THE PIN INSIDE IT WILL BREAK!!!

STEP 2: remove the 3 screws from the blower.. yes this is the culprit to the cricket noise!!.. which dealer could never find..
Warning! once blower is free.. is NOT!..
DO NOT PULL ON IT!! it's not yet free from the electric connection..

STEP 3: open hood.. head out to the front of the car.. find the electric box and remove the 4 hex screws, then remove the plastic cover..

STEP 4: Where my index finger is, in the back of the box you will see the connector to the blower slide it off (after releasing the safety clip it slides down not up...) Then disconnect the blower and retrieve it from the inside..

STEP 6: get replacement, connect it.. and place everything back!!

Hope this helps and enjoy u'r cricket free car!!
samytampafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:34 AM   #2
samytampafl

(don't know what happened to the pics.. let's try again)
Ok.. here's the DIY for the cricket/electric buzz behind the dashboard (driver's side) culprit was the fan. You will need the following description and part number from the dealership: BLOWER WITH COVER PART NO. 12-14-1-437-454. Cost $70.00. It takes approx. 30 mins to change and you will need the following tools a hexagonal tool set and a phillips screw driver.

Here we go.. STEP 1: remove the plastic cover just above the pedals..

JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER REMOVE THE PIN
COMPLETY OFF THE FASTENER..
IF U PULL THE FASTENER WITH THE PIN INSIDE IT WILL BREAK!!!

STEP 2: remove the 3 screws from the blower.. yes this is the culprit to the cricket noise!!.. which dealer could never find..
Warning! once blower is free.. it's NOT!..
DO NOT PULL ON IT!! it's not yet free from the electric connection..

STEP 3: open hood.. head out to the front of the car.. find the electric box and remove the 4 hex screws, then remove the plastic cover..

STEP 4: Where my index finger is, in the back of the box you will see the connector to the blower slide it off (after releasing the safety clip it slides down not up...) Then disconnect the blower and retrieve it from the inside..

STEP 6: get replacement, connect it.. and place everything back!!

Hope this helps and enjoy u'r cricket free car!!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
rayxi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
The vent hole is where I ran my DDE remote wire. I was wondering what the hole was for - now I know.

What happened to Step 5?
rayxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
samytampafl

Step 6... typo meant 5.. anywho.. you will also find the pic. with the opened electrical box in the "general forum" if you search for "cricket dashboard".. somehow it got messed up on this thread..
Old 07-04-2006, 01:11 AM   #5
hanzo

My Ride: '03 325i, '04 M3 SMG
Is the cricket noise like the A/C blowing? My car sounds like AC is blowing but a/c isn't on.
hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:06 AM   #6
hanzo

My Ride: '03 325i, '04 M3 SMG
How do u remove the pin? it's stuck in there
hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
dgoodson

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo View Post
How do u remove the pin? it's stuck in there
Take a flathead screwdriver and begin to pry it slowly. Once it's pulled out a little, use a pair of pliers to grip the head and pull it out. the first time i did it was stuck in real good too and you just have to work it slowly. If it's still stuck, try a squirt or two of silicone lubricant or something. good luck!
dgoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:43 PM   #8
Siena325i

My Ride: 2001 325i
I have wondered for the longest time where that same "cricket" noise was coming from in my car. I thought it was coming from the LCM. Thanks for this great post.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
booshay

My Ride: 2002 325i sedan
Had the same problem

I thought for sure it was my instrument cluster and after i sawpped it out I found out I was wrong after looking into it I found my ECU fan was shot and filthy. replaced and all is well. Good write up!
booshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
summit425

My Ride: E46 AW 323Ci
how is cricket noise??? any video when you had that noise??
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #11
x509v3

My Ride: 2000 328i
Search for "weird cricket noise" in these forums and you'll eventually find someone who posted a video that perfectly describes the noise:
x509v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
soslower82

My Ride: M3
OMG, that **** was bugging me! and i thought it was the LCM too!
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
taconugget

My Ride: 325CI
Replaced this fan abot 2 weeks ago and the awful cricket noise is gone gone gone!!! I've been listening to that for years.

Thank you!!!
taconugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
Rynology

My Ride: 2002 325i
Has the part number changed to 12907571019? This is what pulls up on ecstuning.com as a superseeded part.
Rynology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #15
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Awesome! I heard this noise a few times! Now i can change this blower!
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #16
mitchell172

My Ride: 2003 E46 325i
Is it the same part number for sedans and coupes? I got this far: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...12&fg=35&hl=36

Is it me or are there three different versions? I've got a 2003 325i sedan with auto trans.

Thanks,
Brad
mitchell172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #17
mitchell172

Got it figured out.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #18
Blacksage

My Ride: E46 M3
Bump. Thank you! Video and everything. You guys are AWESOME! No chick I'm dating asked wtf is that? I told her it was a radar detector and a cop was nearby
Blacksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
Itzed

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksage View Post
Bump. Thank you! Video and everything. You guys are AWESOME! No chick I'm dating asked wtf is that? I told her it was a radar detector and a cop was nearby
Should have told her it was a virgin detector that is built into the passenger seat.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #20
mitchell172

I got my replacement fan in and it is the same except for the wiring. The one I removed from the car has three wires and the new one I got has two. I'm trying to find out now if I can exchange it for the right one. Fun Fun. Maybe they used different configurations in different cars so I'd suggest you remove your old one first to make sure you get the right one for your car before the dreaded, "man...i got the wrong part..." feeling. : )

Tags
buzzing, cluster, cricket, noise