E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2005, 08:03 PM   #21
fstazzwhip

My Ride: 330ci AsA SK+
Send a message via AIM to fstazzwhip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshin02
I've heard a lot of draw backs that the step/auto equipped e46's have with major power upgrades. For example, there is no stage 2 SC kit for them due to the tranny not being able to withstand all that extra power......What is it really that can't withstand the power in the trans.? Is it the gears, the torque converter, etc.. Also, is there a way to correct this weakness in step/auto transmissions without swaping on over to a manual? Thanks!
i had level 10 tranny work done and a 330ci with sk+ and my tranny went also i would say level ten is huge waste of money
fstazzwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #22
Kwanghyun Chi

My Ride: BMW VIS VF 325xi '03
Quote:
I've heard a lot of draw backs that the step/auto equipped e46's have with major power upgrades. For example, there is no stage 2 SC kit for them due to the tranny not being able to withstand all that extra power......What is it really that can't withstand the power in the trans.? Is it the gears, the torque converter, etc.. Also, is there a way to correct this weakness in step/auto transmissions without swaping on over to a manual? Thanks!
Hi, I think if you want to go for stage II, you can do it!! I`d heard you must modify your autotranny by changing more larger torque converter and hydrosystem valve(??). In addition, the auto tranny controlling chip should be also upgraded. However, I think there`s additional problem, which is your engine. I am not sure whether those higher boost will be okay. I mean you need to change piston to a forged one, if you wanna go more than 350-400HP. I even don`t know when forged piston is needed in terms of horsepower. 350-400HP is just my guess from my research.

By the way, I`d heard it`s only matter of chip, when you upgrade power of your auto tranny car. That is to say, if tranny chip is well modulated, I`d heard there will be no problem without modifying your actual part of auto tranny.

In my opinion, it`s wierd why auto tranny is not recommended for supercharger kits. Don`t you think there will be less risk as gear is automatically changed? NX express guy says auto tranny is the right one for NX kit. Then, why supercharger or turbocharger not?

Let me know anything you know about this issue, because myself also had been looking for the way to upgrade my autotranny for more than six months. I don`t want to have manual, and I just want to have 350HP or better torque than stock E46 M3 with less than 8K. My car is 2003 BMW 325xi auto tranny.
Kwanghyun Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #23
fstazzwhip

My Ride: 330ci AsA SK+
Send a message via AIM to fstazzwhip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanghyun Chi
Hi, I think if you want to go for stage II, you can do it!! I`d heard you must modify your autotranny by changing more larger torque converter and hydrosystem valve(??). In addition, the auto tranny controlling chip should be also upgraded. However, I think there`s additional problem, which is your engine. I am not sure whether those higher boost will be okay. I mean you need to change piston to a forged one, if you wanna go more than 350-400HP. I even don`t know when forged piston is needed in terms of horsepower. 350-400HP is just my guess from my research.

By the way, I`d heard it`s only matter of chip, when you upgrade power of your auto tranny car. That is to say, if tranny chip is well modulated, I`d heard there will be no problem without modifying your actual part of auto tranny.

In my opinion, it`s wierd why auto tranny is not recommended for supercharger kits. Don`t you think there will be less risk as gear is automatically changed? NX express guy says auto tranny is the right one for NX kit. Then, why supercharger or turbocharger not?

Let me know anything you know about this issue, because myself also had been looking for the way to upgrade my autotranny for more than six months. I don`t want to have manual, and I just want to have 350HP or better torque than stock E46 M3 with less than 8K. My car is 2003 BMW 325xi auto tranny.
i had all of the above done and my tranny broke do not go crazy on an auto unless u have a few grand for a new tranny even if you "beef" up the tranny it will still suck
fstazzwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:21 AM   #24
djyoungz

My Ride: 323ia
level ten is f***in garbage.... i had a level 3 installed on my car and my tranny was still giving me problems.... the car is just sitting in my driveway and i just got a brand new Mustang... thank god those cars don't have the kind of transmission problems the bimmers do with boosting but.... i miss the handling in the bimmer ...
djyoungz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 04:56 AM   #25
Oshin02

My Ride: turbo E46/M3/MCoupe
Send a message via AIM to Oshin02
Wow, I never thought are step/auto's will be this much of a hassle...........Wait, If our Trans.'s are maid from GM. How can does domestics run high hp without a trans swap? is there an auto swap that we can do using another auto trans. from GM which is "beefier"?

I am, CARBON MAN.....
Oshin02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #26
BMWE46Fl

My Ride: 2000 E46 turbo
Send a message via AIM to BMWE46Fl
2 questins
first i thought the problem with the level ten tranny was simply software
secondly if you 2 that stated above that it broke did you guys ever return it and get your money back or anyhting???
04 325ci
04 M3 Vert SMGII-NEW TOY
00 Toyota Camry

BMWE46Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:56 PM   #27
faded67

My Ride: 2004 330CI
[QUOTE=fstazzwhip]i had level 10 tranny work done and a 330ci with sk+ and my tranny went also i would say level ten is huge waste of money[/QUO

So what did you end up doing, and what do you got now? Any more problems?
faded67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:28 AM   #28
supergripen

My Ride: E46 328i
BUMP!!

this is one topic that apparently no one has a definite answer on..and it is a major concern for all step users.this is the only thing keeping me from my SK1..damn.

i'm so close to getting SC'd but this 'small' obstacle is in the way..

my ZF is rated at 325Nm..i've got 280Nm stock.i'm only allowed a measly 45Nms??? that's abysmal!!
supergripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:44 AM   #29
Oshin02

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergripen
BUMP!!

this is one topic that apparently no one has a definite answer on..and it is a major concern for all step users.this is the only thing keeping me from my SK1..damn.

i'm so close to getting SC'd but this 'small' obstacle is in the way..

my ZF is rated at 325Nm..i've got 280Nm stock.i'm only allowed a measly 45Nms??? that's abysmal!!

I am, CARBON MAN.....
Old 02-03-2006, 02:33 AM   #30
bimmerboy36

My Ride: 02 Sk+ 330ci
Quote:
your 328 should be fine with the sk1 kit. I have a step 330 and I'm running the Sk+ kit. For the 330, you can either run the sk+ or run the sk1 with a 5.5psi pulley.

Shinobi is currently running the sk1 6.5psi kit on his step 330 and I think he is still running strong. He tracks his car so we shall see how well his tranny holds up. When I was at Technik, I believe i saw his car dyno high 260, maybe 270 to the wheels. I might be wrong.

C.S.U.N. Fanatics Sign Up!!!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...51#post4894951
bimmerboy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:15 AM   #31
supergripen

My Ride: E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy36
your 328 should be fine with the sk1 kit. I have a step 330 and I'm running the Sk+ kit. For the 330, you can either run the sk+ or run the sk1 with a 5.5psi pulley.

Shinobi is currently running the sk1 6.5psi kit on his step 330 and I think he is still running strong. He tracks his car so we shall see how well his tranny holds up. When I was at Technik, I believe i saw his car dyno high 260, maybe 270 to the wheels. I might be wrong.
yeah..i gathered as much.i'll stick to what Alpina does with its cars and use that as a guide(thanx Vince).as it is right now i'll most probably go with a SK1 5.5psi..that way i'll still have peace of mind when i gun her.
one thing i notice though..with step u get longer gearing which gives a lower rpm at any given speed when compared with a manual which has 1:1 direct drive.so end of the day,less stress for the engine/drivetrain combo.
supergripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #32
jonny-Q

My Ride: 330ci
My car is stock under the hood and it has gone into "limp mode" three times. the second and third times work consecutive. (got #2, turned car off to reset, light came back with in a few seconds WITH AN ENGINE LIGHT, reset again and all was ok) I have not had any problems after that but i have also been driveing it like an old woman now. I can forsee this being an issue later on. Any of you have any recomendations about this?

Thanks

JQ
clarion VRX755VD (in)
RE SX sealed x1 (in)
lots of dynomat

will have pics soon........

next is new lights.....
more to come with more $$$$$$
jonny-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:46 PM   #33
xxe46xx

My Ride: '03 CB M3
bump
xxe46xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #34
xxe46xx

*cough bump cough*
Old 03-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #35
Oshin02

for the ones who have the "level 10" upgrade. Did you swap out the torque converter as well?.....I don't understand why the level 10 upgrade failed to support the power. I know about 2 Audi guys that have done the upgrade themselfs on there auto transmissions and it works beutifuly. Also, to top it all off. The B5 audi A4 auto trans. is really weak to begin with. Somethigns not right........who installed the kit for you guys by the way?

I am, CARBON MAN.....
Old 03-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #36
Oshin02

I forgot to ask, did you guys leave your stall at the factory setting or did you raise it?

I am, CARBON MAN.....
Old 03-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #37
xxe46xx

So I would be able to use this and I would have 340 crank horsepower?

http://www.technikpower.com/catalog/...mw/S1/E46/330/
Old 03-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #38
faded67

My Ride: 2004 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe46xx
So I would be able to use this and I would have 340 crank horsepower?

http://www.technikpower.com/catalog/...mw/S1/E46/330/
I think you have the MS45 software on your car. You would need to ask Technik if they have it available for you yet.

BLACK BIMMER
faded67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #39
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name

My Ride: '07 E92 335i
340 hp is more than what most tuners recommend for the step transmission, 320 is more in the correct range. though it's really the torque that kills the steptronic, not the hp

"if you wanna be king of the ring, this is the kind of car you should get" -M3 CSL
"there's no replacement for displacement" - only BMW ///M
BayerischeMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #40
xxe46xx

damn torque sensor someone should do make up a project to figure out how to remove this or mod it