E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Amyris

My Ride: 2000 323i
Question about parts

I need to order a lot of parts for my 2000 323i and found a place online that seems to be a lot cheaper than most. I read the reviews about them online and some are good and some are bad. Can anyone give me feedback on this place if you have used them before? Thank you for your time.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/
Amyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Dbills

My Ride: 99' 328i
Honestly when buying parts you will save a lot of money by taking the time to shop around. Dont set yourself on using one website. Grab you PNs and plug them into multiple websites to find the best prices. When I refreshed my suspension I ordered parts from 6 different websites to get the best deals.
Dbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Amyris

Thanks, I do shop around a lot. However, the MAF for my car is around $200-$350 at most places. This place has it for $40. Even the junkyard down the street wants $100 for it. I just didn't want to replace it for $40 only to have it be a crappy part and then have to replace it later which is what the negative reviews about this place said. That part wouldn't be a pain for me to change but if I ordered others they might.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Amyris, I absolutely agree with Dbills that shopping with multiple websites can save you a significant amount of money. Iím not familiar with the site you provided, and after doing a quick search for some common parts, Iíd be cautious since they donít appear to supply the partís manufacturer.

Itís generally recommended to go with OE/OEM parts for the best quality and reliability. For example, better to buy an FSR by Behr, an oil level sensor by Hella, or a fuel pump by Siemens/VDO, over an aftermarket or lower quality counterpart. Cheaper isnít always better, especially if fails early or runs the risk of jeopardizing your safety.

I recently made a post listing over twenty popular and frequently shopped BMW parts vendors. You can read it here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...0#post16268561. A good number of them are site sponsors, and many people have bought and had good luck from almost all of them over the years, including myself.

What are some of the parts youíre looking to order? Do you have a list of part numbers for everything? Send me a PM or list some of them here, and Iíll try and find you the best deal.

If youíre interested in doing some price comparison yourself, you might take a look at www.bmwpnpc.com for a useful tool that compares all of the vendors listed in that first link (click the link in my signature to read the forum announcement, if you're interested, as well).

Seems to be a lot of questions about parts and reliable vendors lately, and hope some of this helps. Again, feel free to post some of the part numbers youíre looking for.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyris View Post
Thanks, I do shop around a lot. However, the MAF for my car is around $200-$350 at most places. This place has it for $40. Even the junkyard down the street wants $100 for it. I just didn't want to replace it for $40 only to have it be a crappy part and then have to replace it later which is what the negative reviews about this place said. That part wouldn't be a pain for me to change but if I ordered others they might.
I would highly recommend against buying an aftermarket MAF (which it will be for $40). The MAF sensor on these cars rarely goes bad and is often not the root of your issue. If you have a scenario you'd like some advice on, especially when it comes to the MAF, you'll have great luck in getting pointed in the right direction over in the General Forum.

If you do decide on buying a new MAF, be sure to hang on to your old one, and going with a used one from a junkyard (meaning a used Genuine BMW one) that's been tested is usually the cheapest way to go.

Last edited by SilberVogel; 08-12-2014 at 09:01 PM.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
The 2000 Hyundai Sonata shares the same Siemens VDO MAF as some e46's. You may be able to save some money by buying that part. See this thread for more details.

Last edited by Sansho; 08-12-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Sansho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Amyris

Wow, thanks for all the good advice and information! I really appreciate it. I literally just bought a 2000 323i manual transmission, car of my dreams on Saturday and took it to get it checked out. It has $6445 worth of repairs from a BMW mechanic, not the dealer. I can do all of them myself (thanks to being ASE Certified in parts when I was a manager at Western Auto 20 years ago and thanks to YouTube) with the exception of the rear sub frame replacement. I was on my way to take it to get a quote today for the sub frame when the darn thing would not start and has been acting crazy all day. (see my post http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=)There are a bunch of parts I need but I will be starting with most important which is brakes. I will check out all your links, thanks so much!

Last edited by Amyris; 08-12-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Amyris is offline   Reply With Quote