E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
dsharpe89

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Sunroof wont open

Ive read through a bunch of the threads and it seems usually sunroof issues are all shade related but my sunroof will not open at all. It is stuck with just a small opening and i tired to close or open it manually and it wont move at all. Motor makes a loud clicking noise
dsharpe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
BillB

My Ride: e46
Most likely the motor is bad.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Scot Bailey

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsharpe89 View Post
Ive read through a bunch of the threads and it seems usually sunroof issues are all shade related but my sunroof will not open at all. It is stuck with just a small opening and i tired to close or open it manually and it wont move at all. Motor makes a loud clicking noise
Mine recently did the same thing. It was open, and when I went to shut it, it went half way and stopped. I closed it the rest of the way with the wrench. I now here a slight "click" when the button is pressed, but no movement. I don't think this is a shade issue. I guess I will be taking the motor out to test it. Please let us know if you find the problem with yours before I get around to checking mine.
Scot Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Xoutas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: '02 325i, '04 Pathy
Mine was doing the same thing when I bought the car. It turns out the cable that moves the sunroof broke through the track under the headliner. I think the PO forced the sunroof open somehow and it broke. When this happens you either have to replace the whole cassette or you can do what I did and use some tie wire to repair the track. This is usually caused when something obstructs the operation of the sunroof rails, in my case the shade driver got stuck, the sunroof found resistance and broke through the track. We'll after I fixed it I removed the driver and I open the shade manually.

I found out this was the cae by removing the visor lights. Mine popped through the track on the drivers side.

Anyway I was able to fix mine. Took me a whole weekend and I had to remove the headliner to do this. Now it works great.

Let me know if this is your problem and I will explain in more detail exactly what I did.
Xoutas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
mad_with_tea_time

I think I have this same problem. My sunroof glass just stopped a quarter of the way while opening last night. The motor works still but now the glass is just stuck. I can't move it forward or backward at all. The slide cover also still moves easily up to where the glass is but that's it.

Your saying you had to remove your headliner to get the sunroof back on its tracks? Or how did you actually fix your problem? And what's this "cassette" thing you brought up?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mad_with_tea_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
dsharpe89

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoutas View Post
Mine was doing the same thing when I bought the car. It turns out the cable that moves the sunroof broke through the track under the headliner. I think the PO forced the sunroof open somehow and it broke. When this happens you either have to replace the whole cassette or you can do what I did and use some tie wire to repair the track. This is usually caused when something obstructs the operation of the sunroof rails, in my case the shade driver got stuck, the sunroof found resistance and broke through the track. We'll after I fixed it I removed the driver and I open the shade manually.

I found out this was the cae by removing the visor lights. Mine popped through the track on the drivers side.

Anyway I was able to fix mine. Took me a whole weekend and I had to remove the headliner to do this. Now it works great.

Let me know if this is your problem and I will explain in more detail exactly what I did.
how hard was the headliner to pull out?
dsharpe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
Xoutas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: '02 325i, '04 Pathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsharpe89 View Post
how hard was the headliner to pull out?
It wasn't that hard, more of a PITA. You have to remove the handles & the visors (they just unscrew), then there is one screw where the sunroof motor is. I also removed my A-pillars. B & C pillars just freed them up from the top. Also you have to remove the cover for the third brake light, then I think there were rivets underneath holding the headliner up. Once I got all that out I had to wiggle it free so that it would drop. Then I had to bend it a little to get it through the door, not too much cause I didn't want to have a permanent crease in it. And that's how I did it. Putting it back in was another PITA. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more help.

2002 325i - 116500 - 'Molly'
2004 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4 - 157,000
Xoutas is offline   Reply With Quote