E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #41
T-MC-G

My Ride: Range Rover Evoque
I paid cash for my last oil change...

Tell me what you don't like about yourself...
T-MC-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:44 PM   #42
SnagD

My Ride: 2002 325i 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1
i did, and i fcukin love it!!!

ne1 else *HATE* getting a loan and paying interest?? i got a kickass APR 5 yr ARM on my brand new house and will be paying that off as well after 5 yrs..

40K cd=7% 40K loan=2.9% Next time you want to buy a car, look me up.
SnagD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:00 PM   #43
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist

My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
thats funny. I find it really hard to believe that a lot of you walked into the dealer and handed a check for $44k for a car. Now some of you I don't doubt....but the lot of ya....hmmm

Quote:
Stay away from FedEx if you want your packages delivered in one piece.
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:13 PM   #44
bimmerCi

My Ride: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi
thats funny. I find it really hard to believe that a lot of you walked into the dealer and handed a check for $44k for a car. Now some of you I don't doubt....but the lot of ya....hmmm
my car was purchased cpo with a check for $31,000+change. the same way my dad paid for his camaro ss and my mom's 2006 xl denali
bimmerCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:16 PM   #45
gtc6244

My Ride: 2001 330 Ci
Some funny opinions in here. In theory I suppose I could have paid cash for my car and bought 3 or 4 others at the same time... but at 3.9% financing, it makes more sense to take the loan and invest... I also write off much more then 100% of the monthly payments on the car, so leasing was actually a worse decision (since it's tough to write off more then 100% of a lease).

Props to all who stepped up and paid cash. You help the world go 'round.

--GTC
gtc6244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #46
2005_330xi_BMW

My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg
actually, the smart thing is to lease your $40K car and invest most of that $40K, instead of putting that $40K cash in something that doesn't appreciate. the lease payments generally cover the depreciation of the vehicle, plus the return you are getting from your investment will offset part of that depreciation. furthermore, with leasing you only pay tax for the "portion" of the car you use instead of on the whole car itself. basically, after a 3 year lease on a $40K car, you will pay tax on maybe $15K-$17K instead of the whole $40K. just something to think about...
I like your train of thought, but anyone giving investment advice and telling you to LEASE won't get much respect. Leasing is like rent, throwing money away.
2005_330xi_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #47
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnagD
40K cd=7% 40K loan=2.9% Next time you want to buy a car, look me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #48
Jeff 330CI

My Ride: 330CI
Wanted to pay cash but my accountant told me to finance. 3 year bank loan at prime and I can write off 90% of car, interest, insurance and fuel.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #49
Jeff 330CI

My Ride: 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzracer420
I like your train of thought, but anyone giving investment advice and telling you to LEASE won't get much respect. Leasing is like rent, throwing money away.
It depends where you live and your corporate/personal tax structure.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #50
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggaatl
Not cool. Some of us work hard for a living. If I took your post out of context, i apoligize, however, it came across as kinda foul.
yeah i think you did but that's ok. maybe is should have phrased it differently, it's like dave chapelle, "i bought this **** cash n***a" sorry if i offended you.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #51
rana

My Ride: 04' 320i, 03' 745Li
you can mod a lease....but you have to do mods that you can remove later on...

I can't understand why you would walk into the dealer and just hand over 30 grand. All those people thinking they are because they paid cash upfront are quite mistaken. The amount of money you lose due to depreciation is very high. Sure it might make your ego feel better but it is a bad finiancial decision. I would much rather finiance the car if I was going to buy it.

But what I personally like to do is this: I lease the car for 3 years with 0 down and my monthly payment is the depreciation on the car. Now if I like the car and want to keep it after the lease term is over, I would just buy it out and pay off the remaining value...

Also, leasing makes sense to business owners because they can write off their car payments. It also makes sense if you like to switch cars every couple of years.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #52
ty1200

My Ride: 03 BMW 325i
Send a message via AIM to ty1200
So the new rule is you must be among the "elite" to afford a BMW, that is a multimillionaire w/ unlimited cashflow, even a used $22,000 e46. Because I would NEVER write a check for $40,000 if my checking account balance was under $200,000. Why not invest the money instead of just throwing it away on something that's value only depreciates. This is stupid thread. Let's make a new one: "YOUR BANK ACCOUNT BALANCE AFTER BUYING YOUR E46"

Last edited by ty1200; 10-25-2005 at 05:04 PM.
ty1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:28 PM   #53
joedaddy

My Ride: OCTA
yea
Old 10-25-2005, 06:14 PM   #54
mattclaud

My Ride: 01 330ci 5spd
ty1200 - LOL, that would be a good thread haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzracer420
ANYTIME you buy/lease a car your throwing away money. Cars depreciate, so comparing it to realestate which almost always goes up is unfair.
mattclaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:56 PM   #55
2005_330xi_BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattclaud
ty1200 - LOL, that would be a good thread haha.

ANYTIME you buy/lease a car your throwing away money. Cars depreciate, so comparing it to realestate which almost always goes up is unfair.
Rent isn't real estate, its a service. You're paying for the service of a place to live like you'd pay the service of a car. Once you're lease is up, what do you have? Nothing. You can rent an apartment or lease a car(s) for 10 years and have nothing to show for it. Even if you option the lease to buy, why would you if you plan on buying anyways? Why do you think monthly payments are cheaper on a lease? Is it a gift to you?

Bottom line, everyone knows cars depreciate, that doesn't mean you should throw money away on a lease.

As for the tax structure, I couldn't comment on that. As far as I know the only write off you could get in the US would be for a commercial vehicle used for business purposes? Are you from Canada? If you want to fill me in on that I'd like to know the secret.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:59 PM   #56
2005_330xi_BMW

But on a side note, the 5 series is the least depreciating luxury sedan, and from what I've read the 3 series isn't too far behind.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #57
RedBarron

My Ride: Lexus LS
Send a message via AIM to RedBarron
Paid cash for my 330ci two years ago and also paid cash for our 2003 530I.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 PM   #58
FunPoliceSam

My Ride: 2001 325i
a lot of people live irresponsibly. they just leased their s-class merc because they make 100k and think why not...

WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

always pay cash...if you can't afford it, don't buy it.. thats why honda is there.

its the 1920's thinking of buying everything on credit that gets people in trouble down the road.

my uncle ended up in cc debt and he has no responsibilities, a 60k job, and lives in one of his parent's house.

wonder how?

answer: buying on credit.
Have any of you heard of "sloming"? Supposedly, high school students are sticking leeches to themselves in exchange for some kind of high. Since when did this become the new thing? What happened to just kicking back with a group of your close friends and smoking a joint?
FunPoliceSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #59
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunPoliceSam
a lot of people live irresponsibly. they just leased their s-class merc because they make 100k and think why not...

WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

always pay cash...if you can't afford it, don't buy it.. thats why honda is there.

its the 1920's thinking of buying everything on credit that gets people in trouble down the road.

my uncle ended up in cc debt and he has no responsibilities, a 60k job, and lives in one of his parent's house.

wonder how?

answer: buying on credit.
No its the SMART INVESTOR thinking that tells you to put your money where it MAKES MONEY......

Why would you pay cash for a car and tie up your money when your money could be making you 3-20% interest?

Your uncle had no responsibility...that was his problem, he spent more then he earned.. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY.....Doesnt even relate...

I done it b4, and I learned from my mistakes...

Buying items IN CASH that dont earn you money is STUPID....

If "Owning" a car makes your head feel bigger....Fine...But I'd MUCH rather check my bank everyday and see my interest pay my car insurance every month

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #60
FunPoliceSam

My Ride: 2001 325i
key word: INVESTOR

now what happens when one of your investments fails (say you dropped it on a stock) and you've got no money and a bmw lease on your hands.

obviously if you have the income and the price of the commodity doesn't affect you or in a very minor way, you won't care and you'll pay cash.

same reason why we don't drive a ferrari....

my parents could easily make the monthly payments on a new one.... but if they lost their job... we couldn't afford it.

aren't you late? you must keep up with the jones. *sarcasm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDoubleU2k4
No its the SMART INVESTOR thinking that tells you to put your money where it MAKES MONEY......

Why would you pay cash for a car and tie up your money when your money could be making you 3-20% interest?

Your uncle had no responsibility...that was his problem, he spent more then he earned.. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY.....Doesnt even relate...

I done it b4, and I learned from my mistakes...

Buying items IN CASH that dont earn you money is STUPID....

If "Owning" a car makes your head feel bigger....Fine...But I'd MUCH rather check my bank everyday and see my interest pay my car insurance every month
Have any of you heard of "sloming"? Supposedly, high school students are sticking leeches to themselves in exchange for some kind of high. Since when did this become the new thing? What happened to just kicking back with a group of your close friends and smoking a joint?
FunPoliceSam is offline   Reply With Quote