E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 07:43 PM   #61
2005_330xi_BMW

My Ride: 330xi
The only reason I'd pay cash would be if money was so far from being an issue that 40,000 was simply immaterial (0.0something of a %) or if liquidity was my first priority and I could afford that kind of cash.

Sure you could invest the money you have up front, but investing is long term, and if you're tied up in a CD or in portfolio that happens to be down in the short, and disaster strikes.... you're gonna get hit with penalties and loss. If you're car is leased, you'll take even more of a hit. If you're tied up in a loan, you can sell and eat whatever that may be, less than a lease for sure though. But if you're car is already paid for, you can cash out with only depreciation loss, keep your portfolio so it can regain its money, and finish any termed deposit.

On ANOTHER side note, the best way to avoid depreciation is to buy a low mile-used car and not take the 20% "off the lot" avg. loss.

So in reality, if you pay cash for a used car its not all that bad. Depends, again, on the particular financial situation you're in.

ON ANOTHER side note. Capital One and ING Orange are both decent online savings accounts, with 2.5-4% yeilds. So if you want something flexible, and can deal with the restrictions on withdrawals and in some cases mediocre customer service, I'd reccomend them.

Last edited by 2005_330xi_BMW; 10-25-2005 at 07:46 PM.
2005_330xi_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #62
J.DoubleU.O.

My Ride: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artan5
cash is and getting your office is good, winning your car in a lottery and winning a yaught in a lottery is even better woot woot
WTF is a yaught? That must be something they only have in Texas.

And on the other hand, like Tenchi said, I find it very hard to believe that so many people in here paid cash for their BMW. Some I really don't doubt. But I don't think that all the people in this thread claiming to have paid cash for their car did actually pay cash for their car. But that is just me.

And as for the original thread starter, unless you are making insane money or bought a shack in Iowa or something, how in the hell do you plan on paying off your house in 5 years? I'm a mortgage broker, and I'm sorry, but that just doesn't happen unless people are extremely well off, and even then it is rare. I know very well of people that don't do that, so I don't quite see how you are planning on that. But I don't know your personal situation, so I'm not saying that you can't do it or that you won't, just basing it on averages and my personal experience in the mortgage industry.
J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:33 PM   #63
metalgear575

My Ride: 2005 330i
damn you... i wish i were that rich... or my parents since they bought the car for me but i know my friend's parents bought him his c230 kompressor in cash... rich bastards....
Old 10-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #64
RidinBimmerz

My Ride: Porsche 997 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGA
Actually EDawg has the right idea. Leasing can be a good idea, but if you like to mod your car leasing is not the way to go. Buying a new car isn't a good idea, from a financial point of view, as soon as you drive off the lot you've lost money. Probably the best way to go is to pay cash (if you can afford it) for a late model, low mileage used car. That way you've let the original owner lose money on the initial depreciation, you own it so you can mod it all you want and you're not paying the high interest rates associated with used car loans.
Exactly what I do with all cars

997S X-51 Pack, PCCB, Full Cocoa leather and MUCH more
RidinBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:47 PM   #65
3tri330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW330i
I gave the financial manager an offical check and they gave me my car.
2003 330i topaz blue/sand/pp/sp/cwp/bi-xn/nav/pdc/rear airbags/oem clears/philips ultinons 6000k/spp super white fogs/silvervision indicators/oem alarm/universal transmitter/oem 6 cd changer/irain/iwindow/ACS roof spoiler/ACS 3-piece spoiler
3tri330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:05 PM   #66
rappy2k

My Ride: 330ci2003
Send a message via AIM to rappy2k
paying cash is stupid, ask any1 who knows anything about investing
rappy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 PM   #67
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunPoliceSam
key word: INVESTOR

now what happens when one of your investments fails (say you dropped it on a stock) and you've got no money and a bmw lease on your hands.

obviously if you have the income and the price of the commodity doesn't affect you or in a very minor way, you won't care and you'll pay cash.

same reason why we don't drive a ferrari....

my parents could easily make the monthly payments on a new one.... but if they lost their job... we couldn't afford it.

aren't you late? you must keep up with the jones. *sarcasm*
I can get a 4% return on my money and ZERO risk.... No-Brainer

$200,000 x's 4% = 8000/yr or 666.66 Month
$100,000 x's 4% = 4000/yr or 333.33 Month
$50,000 x's 4% = 2000/yr or 166.66 Month

No Brainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 10-25-2005 at 09:18 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #68
SnagD

My Ride: 2002 325i 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo
WTF is a yaught? That must be something they only have in Texas.

Heyyy! Watch it
SnagD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:33 PM   #69
Allen Yad

My Ride: Hooptie
Paid cash for my e46 323i and X5 4.4i. No loan payments are great.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:34 PM   #70
ultra-violence
-The Wristwatch Pimp-

My Ride: E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi
thats funny. I find it really hard to believe that a lot of you walked into the dealer and handed a check for $44k for a car. Now some of you I don't doubt....but the lot of ya....hmmm

I was thinking the same thing. I call on the majority of these (not all, so don't some of you start crying and flaming). I have friends that work in the sales departments of some of the luxury car dealerships (Mercedes, Jaguar) and the number of people that came in and paid cash for their car were few and far between. The ones that did were usually 80 year old fossils that really had nothing else to do with their money but spend it.

Last edited by ultra-violence; 10-25-2005 at 09:36 PM.
ultra-violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:20 AM   #71
Wagon Man
Ultimate Wagon

My Ride: 00 iT (SOLD)
I susepct someone may soon start a thread like: "Calling E46 owners: who can top my $250k income?".

I've never paid cash for any of the cars I owned ... but my cars are all paid for .. yeah, it was a good feeling .. will I pay cash i the future? probably not.
Wagon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:56 AM   #72
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
Wow, just wow.

You must be a real baller bro, congrats on being a baller and braggin about it

^^sarcasm.

True rich people drive nice cars but nothing extravogant, don't brag about their cars and don't talk about money. This honestly has to be one of the worst threads I've read in the history of the forum.

Sorry to be a dick, but seriously, financial status is one of those things noone should care about. Half of my freinds are loaded out the ass, the other half are dirt poor, can you tell whos who, sometimes, does it make a difference in how they act or whether or not they are cool people - no.

I paid for my car in cash, with the help of my parents of course (was 17). However, my car was a much smaller investment and has depreciated very little in the time I've owned it.

I'm with Tenchi as well, smells like BS to me.

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:59 AM   #73
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
If you have the cash, why not invest it... if you have good credit - get a loan at 4%... return from investment is better then 4% so your money makes money.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 AM   #74
Wagon Man
Ultimate Wagon

My Ride: 00 iT (SOLD)
I have one on par with this BS thread .. months ago over on the Fest.. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71044

total horse sh*t.. and I thought that was "the" worst .. well, we got company....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18
Wow, just wow.

You must be a real baller bro, congrats on being a baller and braggin about it

True rich people drive nice cars but nothing extravogant, don't brag about their cars and don't talk about money. This honestly has to be one of the worst threads I've read in the history of the forum.
Wagon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #75
ProV1
Banned

My Ride: i ride b1tches
Send a message via MSN to ProV1
LOL... funny how ppl get so worked up whenever the "m" word creeps up.

wow, didn't know there were so many "investment gurus" on this board. BTW, ppl here consider 4% savings account APR return from ING direct or EmigrantDirect "investment"??

also, why are some of you doubting a lot of folks here who claim to have paid cash?? when i read the responses, it sounds more like everyone has stash of cash saved up but rather "invest" for 20% annual return rather than use it for car purchase.. oh and let's not forget, all this crazy modding everyone here does on their car is an outstanding investment as well..! lol..

Last edited by ProV1; 10-26-2005 at 10:27 AM.
ProV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:40 AM   #76
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist

My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1
LOL... funny how ppl get so worked up whenever the "m" word creeps up.

wow, didn't know there were so many "investment gurus" on this board. BTW, ppl here consider 4% savings account APR return from ING direct or EmigrantDirect "investment"??

also, why are some of you doubting a lot of folks here who claim to have paid cash?? when i read the responses, it sounds more like everyone has stash of cash saved up but rather "invest" for 20% annual return rather than use it for car purchase.. oh and let's not forget, all this crazy modding everyone here does on their car is an outstanding investment as well..! lol..

cuz maybe there a lot of us that work in the finance industry?

and the average person does not save up $44k in a blink of an eye. thats more money than what a lot of ppl on here make for salaries after taxes.

So yeah, no offense but its real easy to call BS.

Quote:
Stay away from FedEx if you want your packages delivered in one piece.
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:09 AM   #77
mattclaud

My Ride: 01 330ci 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi
cuz maybe there a lot of us that work in the finance industry?

and the average person does not save up $44k in a blink of an eye. thats more money than what a lot of ppl on here make for salaries after taxes.

So yeah, no offense but its real easy to call BS.
So true. Go to any highend car lot, and they will tell you MOST people lease that come on the lot. From the responses it seems like roughly 50% have paid in cash, 40% finance, and 10% lease. The paid in cash seems a bit high. Even when I glance in the forsale forum, most people are selling their cars for what they owe on this board.
mattclaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:40 AM   #78
downtoearth

My Ride: 2003 330i
People up in Canada will tell you finance or lease is a better idea as our Gov't is $$$ hungry and can get tax benefit from leasing/financing. Beside we don't make as much as you guys do down south.
downtoearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:54 AM   #79
J.DoubleU.O.

My Ride: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattclaud
So true. Go to any highend car lot, and they will tell you MOST people lease that come on the lot. From the responses it seems like roughly 50% have paid in cash, 40% finance, and 10% lease. The paid in cash seems a bit high. Even when I glance in the forsale forum, most people are selling their cars for what they owe on this board.
I call BS on a lot of the posts in here. Everyone on here that is
18-21 seems to have bought their car cash, people are paying their houses off in 5 years, blah blah blah. People who buy cars cash are people with extreme amounts of money or people who buy less expensive cars, for the most part. This thread sucks (*then don't post here*, "Foff, I'm just trying to add some commentary and enlightenment").

Why don't we just start a "How much money did you make last month" or "How much money do you have in the bank" or more relevant for a lot of people on here "How much money do you parents make or have in the bank".
J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:38 PM   #80
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo
or more relevant for a lot of people on here "How much money do you parents make or have in the bank".
Yeah, thats the problem I have with this thread. Most of the people pasting that they paid cash really mean "My daddy wuvs me and paid cash for my car. Its really mine ven though its in his name as is the insurance, and if I get bad grades they take my keys away."

Paying in cash is a ridiculous idea for most of the members on this board. My parents pay in cash for cars now because they are able to. They don't trust investments and so they just dump money into CD's, bonds, etc, but they would rather pay everything off if they can.

But again, that doesn't matter, everyone is too obsessed with money, clout, and who's e-dong is longer.

And that thread, thats the reason I absolutely hate answering the question "what kind of car do you have." Either the person knows that its old and cheaper, and thus no effect, or they make a big deal about it - fussing over money = bad in my eyes so it pisses me off. Just like this thread did

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote