E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #41
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Take off your engine cover and see if your coils are Bosch. They will say them on the top of each one.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #42
Corsa999

My Ride: 2004 325CI sport
Thanks Ken. I'll have to check this weekend.
Corsa999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #43
M3^4EVER
Formerly 330CI6spd

My Ride: 05 M3 Jet
Just did my recall yesterday.. she's running stronger than ever!

Maybe that could be because I was in a corrolla loaner..
M3^4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #44
rsjean
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325i/328i/535is/Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconGuy
You mean this? http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...chmentid=49115

Sad part is they kept putting know bad parts in NEW cars after they issued this bulletin
Yeah they replaced all mine with the same part in 2003. Then they did it again with the Bosch parts. It's been fine since.

Dinan Software
Dinan Throttle Body
Dinan CAI
Dinan Front & Rear Braces
Bilstein Coilovers
Racing Dynamics Sway Bars
UUC Pulleys
UUC SSK/DSSR
AA Exhaust
Modified CDV
3.46 Rear End
Sparco Seat
Cross Drilled Rotors
Stoptech SS Brakelines
rsjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:23 PM   #45
3tri330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW330i
They replaced all six coils for me last week.
2003 330i topaz blue/sand/pp/sp/cwp/bi-xn/nav/pdc/rear airbags/oem clears/philips ultinons 6000k/spp super white fogs/silvervision indicators/oem alarm/universal transmitter/oem 6 cd changer/irain/iwindow/ACS roof spoiler/ACS 3-piece spoiler
3tri330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #46
1edyson
Yoda Rocks!

My Ride: 325CI
Send a message via AIM to 1edyson
I have an 04 325ci, I do have my SES light on and have a very rough idle. No stalling, but I am about 3k miles way from a scheduled oil change with a total of about 39,xxx on the car. Should I be weary that this is the case for my rough idle, or is it simply a needed oil change?d

1edyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #47
FalconGuy

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to FalconGuy
Without seeing the car its hard to say except its not the need of an oil change thats for sure.
FalconGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #48
04ImolaZHP

My Ride: S65
my vin is not part of that series (by a little bit) last digits are km07381 but it was manufactured during the time period the recall covers. what up with that?
2005 M3 Convertible - Sold
2004 330i ZHP - Sold
1997 Acura CL 3.0 Premium - Sold
2004 CBR 1000RR - Sold
2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT - Sold
2005 Range Rover Westminster Edition - Sold
2003 ///M5 - Sold
2002 CBR 600F4i - Sold
2002 Grand Prix - Sold
1993 Nissan Maxima - Traded In
1989 Trans Am GTA - Sold
04ImolaZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #49
zeehpee

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
I hate my BMW service center. I took it in the other day for a few things and also because my car was idling very low and felt as if it were going to stall out. So the service advisor informed me that there is a recall for the ignition coil but has nothing to do with my idling and stalling. Either way he offered to change it out for me anyway. One week later, everything I had an issue with before I brought it in was happening again and my car has stalled out over 6 times in a matter of a few days. I spoke the Service Manager and he told me to bring it directly to him in Wed. Hopefully they take care of my car this time otherwise I'm going to, well actually I don't know what to do, probably just change my service center.
zeehpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #50
Getagrip

My Ride: 03 330xi
It was a summer Sunday afternoon when I started my car and to my dismay a misfiring engine and Engine warning light. I took to my dealer and they got the car in the next day (without an appointment) and replaced all my coils. Said they have a TSB on 'em. But I guess its a full blown recall now.
Getagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #51
titanium beaver

My Ride: 05 330ci & 05 M3
Send a message via AIM to titanium beaver
i took my car to feilds BMW for the recall (it was a 45 minute drive from me). After making me wait 2 hours for service, they told me i was fine, i asked if they checked my coils and they pretty much brushed off my question and told me some more useless crap. So i asked again if they checked my coils, and they said i was fine, but if i wanted them to check the coils i would have to pay them to check the coils for me .

I am pretty positive there is a problem, because everytime i start my car in the mornings or after i havent driven it for more than 6 hours or so, the start up sounds really really odd. And on top of that, my car was producted in october 2004, the recall dates for E46's are between sept 2002 and dec 2004.....

"A Supreme Court in Geaorgia ruled that high school biology teachers were permitted to continue using the term 'evolution' when teaching their classes. However as a compromise, they must now refer to dinosaurs as 'jesus horses'."
titanium beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #52
SST

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1edyson
I have an 04 325ci, I do have my SES light on and have a very rough idle. No stalling, but I am about 3k miles way from a scheduled oil change with a total of about 39,xxx on the car. Should I be weary that this is the case for my rough idle, or is it simply a needed oil change?d
If you have an SES light you shouldn't be waiting for 3k miles to have it looked at.
Also, if you have a coil gone bad your idle won't just be rought, it will be ROUGH to the point where the whole car is shaking. If this is the case, I can't believe you are even driving it. Can't you smell the raw gas?
If you have a coil that is not firing you will smell raw gas and have a severe vibration that doesn't feel normal at all.
Needing an oil change won't make your idle bad, and SES light is not triggered by a needed service interval unless you've ignored that too long as well.

BTW, I just called my SA and he checked and my 325i sport is part of the recall. Last year I had a coil failure in mid-winter when it was COLD. I had to wait for flat bed for a long time and came to work very late.
Instead of replacing the Bremi's with Bosch they only replaced the one bad Bremi with another Bremi. Ain't that nice?
So, my SA confirmed that my car will get the recall and he said they do have the parts/coils.
I also need my alternator belt checked as it sqeeks on startup and I need the emergency brake adjusted cause it too makes a loud squeak when I'm getting into the car.
The other big issue, besides the coils, is the 4k power dip during aggressive acceleration. There is a thread about this as well and I hope they can have a fix for it as the thread indicates.
Finally, now that I have only 6 months left on my lease they'll get it fixed for the next person.
I'll be ordering my E90 325i this April, that is if BMW gets these recalls/fixes done correctly.

TT
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #53
1edyson
Yoda Rocks!

My Ride: 325CI
Send a message via AIM to 1edyson
Quote:
Originally Posted by SST
If you have an SES light you shouldn't be waiting for 3k miles to have it looked at.
Also, if you have a coil gone bad your idle won't just be rought, it will be ROUGH to the point where the whole car is shaking. If this is the case, I can't believe you are even driving it. Can't you smell the raw gas?
If you have a coil that is not firing you will smell raw gas and have a severe vibration that doesn't feel normal at all.
Needing an oil change won't make your idle bad, and SES light is not triggered by a needed service interval unless you've ignored that too long as well.

BTW, I just called my SA and he checked and my 325i sport is part of the recall. Last year I had a coil failure in mid-winter when it was COLD. I had to wait for flat bed for a long time and came to work very late.
Instead of replacing the Bremi's with Bosch they only replaced the one bad Bremi with another Bremi. Ain't that nice?
So, my SA confirmed that my car will get the recall and he said they do have the parts/coils.
I also need my alternator belt checked as it sqeeks on startup and I need the emergency brake adjusted cause it too makes a loud squeak when I'm getting into the car.
The other big issue, besides the coils, is the 4k power dip during aggressive acceleration. There is a thread about this as well and I hope they can have a fix for it as the thread indicates.
Finally, now that I have only 6 months left on my lease they'll get it fixed for the next person.
I'll be ordering my E90 325i this April, that is if BMW gets these recalls/fixes done correctly.

TT

The SES just turned on the other night, and I plan on scheduling a serivce appointment as soon as possible. But the shakes aren't violent per se, but it may just be the start of it all. Thx for the info guys.

1edyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #54
Tp///M3

My Ride: CarbonBlack_/_/_/M3
Does this include any of the M3's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojan4JC
My bad, ya'll. It's E39 and E65/66 vehicles being notified first. I just checked.

CB/IR, 20% GlossBlack PowderCoated HRE C20, PSS9, AA Gen.4 Exhaust, OEM CSL BOOTLID, Ebay CSL Diffuser, PowerFlex RTAB, AutoSolutions SSK, ZHP Knob, ZCP Brakes, Intravee II for Ipod, CDV Free, That's all for now.
Tp///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #55
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tp///M3
Does this include any of the M3's?
I'm thinking the same thing. I have an 05 and some of the symptoms of bad coils happen with my car.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:22 PM   #56
abomb

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I posted earlier that I paid out of pocket to replace my Bremi coils with Bosch.

I called BMW NA today and they said to take the car to the dealer where they would inspect the car to make sure they were installed right (20k miles later without problem I can't imagine they were not installed correctly), and that I would also be reimbursed for the six coils I bought.

Figured I'd post to help anybody out in this situation... though most of you with the affected cars are probably still in warranty.

Will let you all know how it goes.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:11 AM   #57
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
So did BMW decide to move away from the Bosch coils during those build dates or what? My car's an 02 but has a build date in sept. 01. My Vin ends with JU25816 which is out of the range posted on the first page of this thread. Does this mean I have nothing to worry about here?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:21 AM   #58
pixelated
Ich bin pleite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon
So did BMW decide to move away from the Bosch coils during those build dates or what? My car's an 02 but has a build date in sept. 01. My Vin ends with JU25816 which is out of the range posted on the first page of this thread. Does this mean I have nothing to worry about here?
Probably nothing to worry about. Mine is a '02 325Ci, 12/01 build and I called in. They checked my VIN and said my car isn't listed for this recall. You can always double check by calling your dealer. But again, you're probably fine.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:39 AM   #59
schutney

My Ride: 03 325i
i read about this problem before
and it happened to my car and i took it to the dealership and said it was the coils and they said my vin wasent showing as the coil recall but i insisted and they kept saying it wasent the problem
low and behold when i picked up the car it said replaced 6 coils
some dealership ppl are just *******s
schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:55 AM   #60
guitarvenue

My Ride: MOPED
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojan4JC
Dave, there were no outstanding recalls on your vehicle at that time. The new recall (just issued this month - 10/2005) is to replace Bremi ignition coils (the 223's) with Bosch ignition coils (the 219's). I'm a warranty administrator at Pacific BMW. kpeng, listed the vehicles affected earlier in the thread. If you had all your old Bremi coils replaced with Bosch ones already per SI B12 08 03, you are completely fine and don't need coils again. You would know if you had this performed already if the defect code 12 13 92 12 00 is on your DCSnet Vehicle History report that your service advisor can look up (and print out) for you.

And xxcosmicxx is right, some service advisors get confused pretty easily! So if the ones at Crevier are confused, ya'll should send your cars up here to Pacific for the proper service! j/k

If you haven't been notified yet, don't stress. Most of your cars are probably running fine right now. Just imagine how many thousands of cars are affected. It wouldn't make sense to notify these people all at once and overburden BMW service departments throughout the country. IIRC, BMW NA is notifying customers with E39 (prev. gen 5 Series) and E53 (X5 SAV) vehicles with the M54 engines first.

I hope this helps!

yeah..right. The parts guys at Pacific are incompetent as well. I could not get a turn key solution in ordering a M3 Strut Bar. You guys know who you are. Bastages.....pure bastages. Crevier or bust...
guitarvenue is offline   Reply With Quote