E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
dirkdigg

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Thermostat DIY

I have a 2000 328ci & Recently my car over heated and a cracked the coolant tank . I'm in much need of some help . I'm assuming it's the thermostat. There were no leakes prior to this F'n event and I'm about to attempt to install a new thermostat....Is this a easy DIY project. Any help on installing this thing??? Or any other ideas of what it could be??

I tried doing a search and couldnt find much about about it...
dirkdigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
EDawg

My Ride: :/
the thermostat is straight forward. just remove the clips on the 2 hoses connecting the thermostat, remove the hoses on both ends of the thermostat, remove the bolts on the thermostat, remove the thermostat, and reverse order with the new thermostat. the expansion tank, on the other hand, although just as straight forward, requires a bit of muscle work to remove and install. good luck.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
dave96dcm
It ain't cheap to be cool.

My Ride: 2002 325i
Send a message via AIM to dave96dcm
While it is all apart I heard that Bavarian Auto sells a aluminum t-stat housing to replace the factory plastic one. Also are you sure that it is not the water pump? I have read many places that the stock plastic impeller can just shatter and you will overheat. How many miles do you have?
dave96dcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:27 AM   #4
dirkdigg

Question

68000 miles....I recently just changed the thermostat and the radiator tank.I think I bleeded everything correct. My heater does not blow hot air and within 20 minutes it will start to over heat again....PLEASE HELP ..Im assuming it may be the water pump any ideas??

Is the water pump easy to intstall?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:22 AM   #5
EDawg

My Ride: :/
you probably didn't bleed it correctly. make sure your key is in position 2, with the fan on low and the temp on 91. also, make sure you remove the bleed screw right next to the expansion tank and add coolant until it spills out of the bleed hole without bubbles. when you've completely filled your system, you should have used up a whole bottle of bmw coolant plus an equal amount of distill water. if you haven't added that much, then you probably do not have enough coolant and that is why it is overheating. also, take your car for a spin a couple of times around the block. the first time i refilled my coolant i had the same problems as you: heater not blowing hot air and engine overheating. after i started driving, everything went back to normal. i think the reason i had this problem the first time was because i did not turn on the heater fan, like i mentioned above, while i was pouring in the coolant.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
dirkdigg

Thanks for all your help guys...Ive been talking to mechanics and they say (like you said) i probably did not bleed correctly...is there a certain type of coolant were supposed to use??I Know that you can buy BMW coolant I just assumed that is one of there ways to purchase there stuff for ten million dollars
Old 09-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
dirkdigg

Question

Wich bleeder screw is it the one on top or the 2 blue ones under the car....Any good instruction as far as bleeding it correcty...do I have to drain all the coolant I put in allready and start over or....
Old 09-20-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Stick with the BMW coolant - it isn't that much more money. I did a complete flush to the orange Prestone Long Life stuff because I live a distance from a BMW dealership, and it has worked well for me but all things being equal I would have stuck with the BMW coolant.

Whatever you do, do not use the old style green stuff or any other coolant that contains phosphates.

And the water pump is dead simple to do - with a MY2000, I would definitely replace it. It takes a couple hours max.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 01:05 AM   #9
dirkdigg

Question

Well.....I took it to a mechanic and I guess I didnt bleed it properly. It doesnt overheat anymore when I'm driving but when its just idleing at a stand still it will start to over heat again....I'm assuming its the auxillary fan.Beacause I dont thinks it turning on. Any ideas??

I did search and it could be the fan fuse, I guess?? But forgive me but when I bought my car it did not come with a manual and for the life of me I cant find the fuse box or where the fan fuse would be. Any one want to help a poor neebie out
Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
falconx

My Ride:
fuse box is in the glove compartment,
falconx is offline   Reply With Quote