E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
ylwmonkee13

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Ball Joint for $300.00 plus labor! help help help!

I have a 01 e46 M3. I have dropped the ride with H&R springs and it has been a month or two since the drop.

I took the car to get alignment and good year told me that the ball joint is broken and needs to be replaced.

Then i took it to the dealership and they told me the same thing.

Dealership is asking me for $300.00 plus the labor.

How hard is to change the ball joint and where could i get good price for it? should i replace it with aftermarket parts?

Is this save to drive?

HELP HELP HELP!
ylwmonkee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
If it is a ball joint in the front the entire control arm needs to be replaced - there are two BJs in each arm and new ones cannot be pressed into the arm. They are likely quoting you for two control arms (they tend to replace them in pairs) and a bushing set - 300 in parts alone is pretty close on that.

Unless something happened during the installation of the springs, I wouldn't blame them on the problem. There are people here who have done CAs two or three times already - the BJs and bushings are weak points.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
ylwmonkee13

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
thanks! so does anyone knows how to replace the control arm? hard? medium? easy?

I have most of the tools and i am pretty handy with cars.
ylwmonkee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
Canuck328i

I'll copy the text I posted on another thread currently running here re CAs:

Removing the CA requires a ball joint separator as well as some extra Metric tools (and some brute force too). Depends on your skill level - not for the faint of heart though.

I thought there was a DIY here - if not, refer to the one I wrote for my "local": http://www.tuningemotion.com/forum/...read.php?t=1990. The info is down around post #17.

BTW, check on EBay for control arms. I've seen pairs for sale of OEM units, and the prices were pretty good. Bottom line is the BJs obviously not lasting very long on dealership OEM ones, could these one be much worse?

Mark

Last edited by Canuck328i; 11-01-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
doncmleon

My Ride: layin in the cut!
Send a message via AIM to doncmleon Send a message via Yahoo to doncmleon
There is!

There is a DIY on this is the DIY forum. I was thinking about doing this, but am REALLY glad i didnt. I took my 330Ci to a friends shop and watched them replace the bushings, arms, tires, and do an alignment. This is a pretty tough job to me. I wouldnt have been able to do the bushings part at all. I paid about $300 for my install. (Alignment/tire setup was free, courtesy of my friend)
Old 11-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
Canuck330i

My Ride: 2001 330i
Bavarian Auto sells replacement CA's that allow you to change just the BJ.
On top of that the bushings can be ordered with urethane which gives a better ride and lasts longer.

When mine go that's what I'm ordering
Old 11-29-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
harold_callahan

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325CiC
My dealer is asking $1305!!!

He says that it must be done in pairs and that they replace the control arm.

OUCH...

Only my left side ball joint is loose.

-Callahan-
harold_callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Turner Motorsports changed mine, both sides arms and bushings $350 parts and 2 hours labor. Included balancing bote front wheels. Such a bargain and why I will keep going back for stuff I don't want to do.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #9
Canuck328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harold_callahan
My dealer is asking $1305!!!

He says that it must be done in pairs and that they replace the control arm.

OUCH...

Only my left side ball joint is loose.

-Callahan-
Which dealer did you go to? In the GTA?

I bought my parts from Maranello in Woodbridge - the RS control arm was around $230CAD and the bushing set was around $135CAD, so add a second arm and labour and yup, you are in the right ball park.

The arms don't need to be done in pairs IF you already have the current type installed. The early E46 had a different style of arm (non-webbed) - in that case you need to do both so they match. The bushings however should be done in pairs (especially if they have a bit of time on them). The problem is the bushings only really survive one installation onto an arm, so if the dealer leaves an old arm in place then it fails a few months later, they'd need to sell you another set of bushings.

Mark
Old 12-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #10
harold_callahan

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325CiC
Quote:
Which dealer did you go to? In the GTA?
I took my car to Town and Country on Kennedy...

it is a 99 328i...

quite the drag to spend 1500 with taxes....

anyone know of a more resonable way to get this service in the GTA??

-Callahan-
harold_callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #11
Canuck328i

You can try Cross Avenue in Oakville - a bunch of members on TE (our local forum, see sig) recommend them highly. Not sure what the price will be but they do good work and apparently are reasonable.

Even from the dealer the price would be about $600CAD for the parts, then it depends on how much labour you get charged. Actually I thought your original quote was with taxes - $1500 total, that's pretty pricey.

Mark