E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
Slpnbyu

My Ride: 2011 M3 (E90)
Thermostat/Water Pump - Catch=Steptronic

Ok gang,

I have read every post out there on changing the thermostat and the waterpump. All in all it does not sound too bad and is def. not worth $850 at the dealer...

Here is where I need help... I have a MY00 323Ci that is Steptronic. Several of the posts I read hinted to a difference with the step vs. manual when doing this. Has anyone with a steptronic tranny done this? If yes, please share any additional insight (pics if possible too).

Thank you!
Slpnbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
I have a manual and an auto and have done WP on both - only difference I saw was the auto had the fan attached to the front of the WP, and you need to remove it.

I did a DIY - see it here: http://tuningemotion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2471

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
Slpnbyu

That DIY is spectacular, thank you!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:12 AM   #4
Cabrio

My Ride: Slow but fun
Mark's the man!

19" Axis Supermesh, Hartge Front, ACS Rear, LED Rears, M3 Mirrors, M3 Lip Spoiler, Halos, TiAg Bumper Reflectors, Clears + Solaris bulbs, M3 Front Strut Bar, 17" Kosei K1 Racing
Cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:31 AM   #5
Canuck328i

slpnbyu >> No prob man, I wish you were closer so you could use the toolie thing!

cab >> No, YOU the man! We are trackin' next year buddy, can't let you have all the fun!

Mark
Old 11-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Slpnbyu

Mark,

Thanks, I wish I was closer too! Oh well, the writeup is priceless.

One additional thing that would help are some measurements on the "toolie" thing. How far apart are the two holes for the bolt heads (center to center)? What size bit did you use for those two holes?

That info will allow me to start crafting the tool before I tear the car apart. Granted, I can always fine-tune later.

Jason
Old 11-03-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
Slpnbyu

Well, I tackled the project today and unfortunately the water pump pullley proved to be tougher than I.

I worked up a tool like Mark's, only I used aluminium. Bad part is that the amount of material left between the bolt-head holes and the arch is so small that there is not enough strength to withstand the torque needed to loosen the fan nut. In short, my home-made piece snapped in two once I really started putting the pressure on.

Lesson learned - if you are going to attempt to forge your own tool then use steel. I didn't have anything steel to work with nor do I have anything to drill/cut steel so it is not that big of a deal either way for me.

I ended up ordering the tool from BMW. If you go this route, check all of the dealers in your area. I called two dealers around me and one quoted me $59 and the other quoted me $38. Go figure...

Needless to say I ordered the $38 tool plus another 10% off for CCA discount so that is not too bad. All in all, I will have spent around $270 (pump, thermostat, two belts, coolant, BMW special tool) so that is still a heck of alot less expensive than the $880 price the dealer quoted to do the job.

Last edited by Slpnbyu; 11-03-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
Canuck328i

Damn, 38 bucks is pretty fair - as I'm sure you are aware after making your tool, it takes a while to make and a lot of test fits. In my case however, canadian prices are generally higher for that sort of item plus the nearest dealership is an hour away.

Anyway good luck when you get at it - with that tool things will go much easier! (Let us know how it goes.)

Mark