E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Anyone here shoot/own dual systems?

Just curious, Im a canon shooter and have a lot of money invested in canon gear, so much that Im not interested in parting it all out. However, I have really been interested in adding a sony a7R to my arsenal along with maybe 2-3 Zeiss lenses...just wondering if anyone else has two camera systems that they use. I watched a video the other day that really makes a strong case for photographers sticking to old tech just having a penis measuring contest while the real pros moved into the future...tests also seem to show the a7r putting a hurting on damn near everything.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:10 AM   #2
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
The Sony A7ii is the best camera out right now and it's like $1600. You gain 4.5 stops from its stabilization.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
328iGuy
SensFan

My Ride: 2012 Audi Q7 S-Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspoo View Post
The Sony A7ii is the best camera out right now and it's like $1600. You gain 4.5 stops from its stabilization.
I would definitely not concur with it being the "best" camera out right now, all reviews point away from that, in the mirrorless ok, but still in all aspects doesn't compare to the 5D3 etc...
Old 04-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
NFRs2000nyc

From what I understand the A7R is the one to beat for pure photo quality, with the A7ii being great for certain applications (like wedding shoots).
Old 04-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Cowspoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
From what I understand the A7R is the one to beat for pure photo quality, with the A7ii being great for certain applications (like wedding shoots).
The a7r does have insane dynamic range!
Old 04-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl, no roof
Quote:
The a7r does have insane dynamic range!
A7r has best errythang.

I hope the next gen canon cameras have similar similar performance.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
NFRs2000nyc

I really love my 1Ds, but Im loving the technology coming out elsewhere...I just don't want to have to switch systems, so Im hoping Canon starts coming out with comparable products. The features on these new age cameras are incredible. The 5Dr could be a contender, but it's still with a mirror, so it's bulky, and other than a 50mpix sensor, I don't see anything revolutionary...

You gotta hand it to Sony...they usually make crap, but once in a while, they make a product that completely turns an industry upside down on it's head. Well, here's hoping Canon stops riding their reputation and starts coming out with serious leaders.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
I really love my 1Ds, but Im loving the technology coming out elsewhere...I just don't want to have to switch systems, so Im hoping Canon starts coming out with comparable products. The features on these new age cameras are incredible. The 5Dr could be a contender, but it's still with a mirror, so it's bulky, and other than a 50mpix sensor, I don't see anything revolutionary...

You gotta hand it to Sony...they usually make crap, but once in a while, they make a product that completely turns an industry upside down on it's head. Well, here's hoping Canon stops riding their reputation and starts coming out with serious leaders.
Am i missing something or have photo pros ditched their Nikon and Canon gear for Sony products? Srs, not up today on leading edge of photography these days.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #9
Cowspoo

Most of my favorite landscape photographers are using the A7r. Others are on the 5d3, 5d2 or 6d. I haven't noticed any on Nikon.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Am i missing something or have photo pros ditched their Nikon and Canon gear for Sony products? Srs, not up today on leading edge of photography these days.
Sony's majority conquest is coming from Nikon...remember, Nikon's have been using Sony sensors for ages now, and their new Mirrorless cameras have VERY tasty features....Im not jumping the canon ship just yet but the A7R and Zeiss Glass has been very appealing to me. Im starting to switch careers over from hospitality to photography, so I was considering in investing into a Sony system...I just don't see anything on the horizon from the Canon camp that is truly revolutionary.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Most of my favorite landscape photographers are using the A7r. Others are on the 5d3, 5d2 or 6d. I haven't noticed any on Nikon.
Who are they??? Just curious? I know Art Wolfe is sponsored by Canon, and John Shaw is Nikon, but Im always looking for new guys to look up to, so if you don't mind sharing, that would be cool.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
NFRs2000nyc

This is what Im talking about...watch this video...after you see it, you realize how "carburator" the Canons and Nikons are compared to sony forced induction and direct injection. I have been commenting for years on forums about my praise for Sony SLRs...just looking at the photos, I could tell they have excellent image quality and phenomenal dynamic range, I guess now the Sony disease is spreading to the masses.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-18-2015 at 08:34 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Cowspoo

Quote:
Who are they??? Just curious? I know Art Wolfe is sponsored by Canon, and John Shaw is Nikon, but Im always looking for new guys to look up to, so if you don't mind sharing, that would be cool.
Sure!
Matthew ShainBlum
Matt Aden
Ted Gore
Adrian Klein
Jeff Lewis
Erin Babnik
DK Photography
Zack Schnepf
Andreas Wonisch
Luis Mad
Alex Noreiga
Darren J Bennett

Any of these guys should give you a nice collection of inspiration.

Last edited by Cowspoo; 04-20-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Cowspoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:32 PM   #14
NFRs2000nyc

Cool, will check em all out!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #15
Cowspoo

Quote:
Cool, will check em all out!
Updated with links so you dont guess who I referred you to
Old 04-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

Man, my portfolio would be so much more expanded if I lived somewhere that didn't suck so much (east coast.)
Old 04-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
I have a D7100 and I'm going to pick up a used Fuji X-E1 mirrorless just to play around with. I found one for a price that made me decide to give it a try. I don't think I will be acquiring too many new lenses if any for it though. At best, I will probably buy an adapter so I can manually focus my current Nikon glass on the fuji body and have some fun with the focus peaking.

I'm no expert, but I don't think there are too many professionals switching over to Sony. Are there some? Definitely, but I think the majority of Sony's customers are enthusiasts (not pros) coming from larger DSLR setups who are just tired of lugging around all of their gear. This statement holds true for the entire mirrorless market, not just Sony. If you can get the same features and image quality with something half the size then why not do it. I know for myself, I don't go on vacation with all of my gear. I usually only bring two or three lenses and make that work. If I could bring all of my gear with the same weight and space requirements as I've been used to then why not do that. That is what I see as the appeal of mirrorless systems.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
I have a D7100 and I'm going to pick up a used Fuji X-E1 mirrorless just to play around with. I found one for a price that made me decide to give it a try. I don't think I will be acquiring too many new lenses if any for it though. At best, I will probably buy an adapter so I can manually focus my current Nikon glass on the fuji body and have some fun with the focus peaking.

I'm no expert, but I don't think there are too many professionals switching over to Sony. Are there some? Definitely, but I think the majority of Sony's customers are enthusiasts (not pros) coming from larger DSLR setups who are just tired of lugging around all of their gear. This statement holds true for the entire mirrorless market, not just Sony. If you can get the same features and image quality with something half the size then why not do it. I know for myself, I don't go on vacation with all of my gear. I usually only bring two or three lenses and make that work. If I could bring all of my gear with the same weight and space requirements as I've been used to then why not do that. That is what I see as the appeal of mirrorless systems.
If you watch the vid I posted above, you'll see that part of the reason why most professionals are staying away is the intimidation factor. Also, the lens selection is a bit lacking as of now. Sony is just pumping out the tech, while the other two seem to be stuck and not coming out with features that would truly help us improve AND speed up. If Canon doesn't come out with a pinch-to-zoom touch screen soon, Im going to punch someone. I will be picking up a 5DR when it comes out, and wouldn't mind a full frame 10fps body, but alas, those don't exist, and I don't want a 1DX. I would also like Canon to come out with something like the sony's a6000 93% focus coverage..very helpful when you have events with lots of people moving around, or kids running around quickly. I need tools that make my job easier, not crap that I don't care about (like video of any kind.) I don't know why they stuck video capability in their bodies...I don't know any photographers that give a rats ass about the video, and I don't know any video guys that use SLRs.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #19
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl, no roof
New Nikons use Sony sensors. Rumor has it that Canon will too.

Biggest downside of the Sony is that their lens selection is quite poor unless you get into the extremely expensive world of Zeiss products. Their new bodies are out of this world though, I love the images they produce. Tons of high end photographers are going with Sony because of the images and also because they don't GAF about lens costs. If I had an unlimited budget, I would buy an A7R in a heartbeat and a collection of Zeiss lenses to go with it.

My hope is that the 6D2 will be the first Canon body coming out with a Sony sensor that has comparable performance to the A7R. That's what I plan to buy.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-21-2015 at 04:22 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
New Nikons use Sony sensors. Rumor has it that Canon will too.

Biggest downside of the Sony is that their lens selection is quite poor unless you get into the extremely expensive world of Zeiss products. Their new bodies are out of this world though, I love the images they produce. Tons of high end photographers are going with Sony because of the images and also because they don't GAF about lens costs. If I had an unlimited budget, I would buy an A7R in a heartbeat and a collection of Zeiss lenses to go with it.

My hope is that the 6D2 will be the first Canon body coming out with a Sony sensor that has comparable performance to the A7R. That's what I plan to buy.
Well, the 5DR is supposed to be like the A7R (no AA filter) but with 50mpix. Zeiss glass is indeed awesome, and honestly, isn't any more than Canon L, so if I was just getting into the game now, I would give Sony a good hard look. There are a few lenses where no one, including Nikon can touch canon, for example, the 70-200 F2.8. As of now I am so deeply invested in Canon that I simply can't jump ship, and using canon lenses on the Sony bodies loses all the lightning AF options and a few other features. For now, my 1Ds keeps the clients happy.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-21-2015 at 05:01 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote