E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
5D Mark IV

Official Announcement coming august 25th...
http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos...t-25-2016-cr3/

Hoping it retakes the lead in the image quality space, but I guess time will tell. Didn't want to clog up the snapshot thread to talk cameras, so figured I'd start a separate thread. This camera will determine which body I get next, the 5D4 or the a7R3.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
I thought you were really anti-Sony? Why would you consider the A7R3? Rumor has it that the A7 line won't come with dual slots but there's rumblings of a A9 line that would be the real pro level body with dual slots and stuff.

Why not get a 1DX2 as a replacement to your 1Ds?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I thought you were really anti-Sony? Why would you consider the A7R3? Rumor has it that the A7 line won't come with dual slots but there's rumblings of a A9 line that would be the real pro level body with dual slots and stuff.

Why not get a 1DX2 as a replacement to your 1Ds?
Why do you think I'm anti Sony? I love what they are doing, I just don't think they are ready for my $4000, or for me to have it be my only camera on a trip, but I sure as sh!t am not anti sony. I love 90% of what they do.

The 1Dx isnt actually better than my 1Ds (image quality wise), sure it's better in terms of speed, but I have no use for that. nor do I care about video. I care about one thing when shooting, that's low ISO performance with the best detail possible...so as of right now, thats going to go with the 5DSR, but, the a7R2 has slightly better DR, so I can sacrifice 8mpixels of detail for better DR, and all the other goodies offered with mirrorless. I fully expect the A7R3 to fix all the current beefs most have with the current line of Sonys...and while they are fantastic cameras, they still have issues that can (and do) make them unusable in certain situations as the only body.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
SamDoe1

Newest updated rumor...

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Specifications:

30mp
Compact Flash/SD Card Slots (No CFast)
Built-in Wifi
24/30fps @ 4K
60fps @ 1080
120fps @ 720
USB 3
Cable release port moved to the front of the camera where the "Mark XX" badge was.
A lot more touchscreen functionality than the EOS-1D X Mark II
Other ergonomic changes, such as a new "locking switch" on the rear of the camera.

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos...ons-and-image/

Definitely not a high MP camera...

Last edited by SamDoe1; 08-10-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Why do you think I'm anti Sony? I love what they are doing, I just don't think they are ready for my $4000, or for me to have it be my only camera on a trip, but I sure as sh!t am not anti sony. I love 90% of what they do.
Because every comment you have about them is about how their body is a POS, buggy, battery hogging, etc...
Old 08-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Because every comment you have about them is about how their body is a POS, buggy, battery hogging, etc...
And I absolutely stand by those statements, and after I say that, the next sentence is all about the stunning image quality, the amazing dynamic range, how I love the WYSIWYG of it all, etc. I said it cannot be my primary camera at this point in time because the negatives are pretty severe, but in time. I also never said it was a POS, I did talk about bugs, appalling battery, etc.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Newest updated rumor...

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Specifications:

30mp
Compact Flash/SD Card Slots (No CFast)
Built-in Wifi
24/30fps @ 4K
60fps @ 1080
120fps @ 720
USB 3
Cable release port moved to the front of the camera where the "Mark XX" badge was.
A lot more touchscreen functionality than the EOS-1D X Mark II
Other ergonomic changes, such as a new "locking switch" on the rear of the camera.

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos...ons-and-image/

Definitely not a high MP camera...
Very strange, why they would come out with an all new flagship that isn't even as good as the CURRENT sony. Weird.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
SamDoe1

Quote:
And I absolutely stand by those statements, and after I say that, the next sentence is all about the stunning image quality, the amazing dynamic range, how I love the WYSIWYG of it all, etc. I said it cannot be my primary camera at this point in time because the negatives are pretty severe, but in time. I also never said it was a POS, I did talk about bugs, appalling battery, etc.
That's fair. Like I've said, never had any issues with bugs (maybe the rental didn't have up to date firmware or something) but the battery thing is a big issue.

In other news, I just synced my camera to my phone. This will work awesome for astro shoots.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
That's fair. Like I've said, never had any issues with bugs (maybe the rental didn't have up to date firmware or something) but the battery thing is a big issue.

In other news, I just synced my camera to my phone. This will work awesome for astro shoots.
I tried doing it in the field, was a bit too cumbersome, and I was under pressure, plus it wasn't my camera, but I can see it being useful instead of a remote shutter cable, etc. As for firmware and such, very possible, and I am certain these issues will be fixed on the A7R3. I think people got off "look at a size difference wagon" because it isn't even noticeable when you have real glass on it, so sony will make them slightly bigger in favor of dual cards and better batteries. Having said that, putting the camera in airplane mode makes a HUGE difference in battery life, try it.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 08-10-2016 at 07:42 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #10
SamDoe1

Quote:
I tried doing it in the field, was a bit too cumbersome, and I was under pressure, plus it wasn't my camera, but I can see it being useful instead of a remote shutter cable, etc. As for firmware and such, very possible, and I am certain these issues will be fixed on the A7R3. I think people got off "look at a size difference wagon" because it isn't even noticeable when you have real glass on it, so sony will make them slightly bigger in favor of dual cards and better batteries. Having said that, putting the camera in airplane mode makes a HUGE difference in battery life, try it.
Mine is always in airplane mode for that very reason.

The size is a lot smaller depending on which lens you use. My Zeiss 55 is FAR smaller than most comparable lenses and rocks for image quality. It's not a huge size difference when you get the bigger stuff but it makes a difference and it's a lot lighter too.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
SamDoe1

Here we go, this looks about as close to final as it's going to get before the official reveal...

30.4mp
7fps
Dual Pixel AF
61 point AF (Likely 41 crosstype)
150,000-pixel RGB + IR sensor
Anti-flicker
ISO 100-102400 (extended sensitivity)
Built-in Wifi
24/30fps @ 4K
60fps @ 1080
120fps @ 720
4:2:2
8bit 500mbps MJPEG
Touchscreen LCD
Dust and weathersealed
8mb Image from 4K video
Time-lapse movie
GPS built-in
Wi-Fi
NFC
SD / SDHC / SDXC and CompactFlash TypeII
USB 3.0 terminal, HDMI terminal
Size X 116.4Mm X 150.7Mm 75.9Mm
Weight 890g (1.96lbs)

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com/full-spec...#ixzz4HcQYrkVJ
Old 08-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
NFRs2000nyc

Ugh, what a waste...a new camera that can't even keep up with the old cameras from sony and Nikon. They keep adding video functions to these things, forgetting that some people dont GAF about video and want the best possible photos. I guess I'll be picking up the next Sony A7R body when it comes out.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #13
SamDoe1

Well if it can finally keep up with the low light and dynamic range of the current (and past, lol) Sony sensors then it might be worth a look. If not, IDGAF. Either way, something that's not as good yet is bigger and heavier is out of the question in my book especially when this will cost as much as an A7R2. Also, if you need focus speed...this is going to be WAY better than the A7X series.

And bro. Built in wifi and gps...

Last edited by SamDoe1; 08-17-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Well if it can finally keep up with the low light and dynamic range of the current (and past, lol) Sony sensors then it might be worth a look. If not, IDGAF. Either way, something that's not as good yet is bigger and heavier is out of the question in my book especially when this will cost as much as an A7R2. Also, if you need focus speed...this is going to be WAY better than the A7X series.

And bro. Built in wifi and gps...
All useless features to me. For me, it's simple...I look at a spec on a camera and say "is this feature going to get me a better, more detailed, noise free image?" If the answer is yes (like the presence of a Sony sensor, IBIS, etc) then I care....if not, like fps, gps, wifi, toaster, etc, then I don't care. I want a native ISO of 50, I want as many megapixels as possible, I want a stabilized sensor, I want a high res screen, I want the menu system to be licensed from a cell phone manufacture/apps from a manufacturer directly, not proprietary software that sucks ass. All this crap they keep shoving into the cameras these days are completely worthless to me. The A7R2 has a lot of what I like, and hopefully the next one will be even better, and that's the one I'll pull the trigger on.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #15
SamDoe1

Asking price announced. Spend $3500 on this thing or spend $3200 on the (likely) better A7RII. Only upsides of the Canon will be the AF system and the lens availability. Both things are changing but many pros that require fast AF (sports and wedding) will likely stay with the Canon for now though changes are coming to make mirrorless better without the downsides of size and weight of DSLR.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/...-usd-4299-cad/