E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Glass Plate Negative Display Idea

I have an 8x10 glass plate negative of a rock outcropping in the ocean.

The idea is to create a kind of shadowbox with a light source illuminating the plate from behind.

Something like this:

Light Source ---> Opaque Glass ---> Glass Plate ---> Opaque Glass

The light source will more than likely be LED Christmas lights in a pegboard for even distribution.

This goes through a frosted pane to defuse the light.

Glass plate and final opaque pane to display image.

I've searched lightly for light box/shadow box and such, but didn't see anything. Has anyone seen such a set up before? The frame would be rather simple to construct with my neighbor's table saw, but any suggestions as to distances between the plates? Because of the cord, this would probably be displayed on a shelf.
Rate this post positively

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
The distance between plates will be determined by the brightness of the lights and the opaqueness of the glass that you're using. I'm assuming you're talking about frosted glass to get diffuse light coming through the negative, right? Just get a few thin strips of wood/plastic/whatever and lay them on either side of the lights, then you can play with the distances between plates until you get it right. The frame should be simple enough, just cut channels to allow the plates to slide in and cap the top/bottom.

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Frosted up a dollar store 8x10 and what was in the back of my mind happened: it didn't work.

For some reason (foolish hope) I thought a projected image of a negative would inverse onto a surface. I forgot that the reason for the negative is to regulate light onto a chemical solution to create an image.

So, unless there is a way to inverse the coloring of a negative by optic means alone, I think I'm SOL.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
I have a vague memory of seeing a negative print with different colored light projected on it that showed up in "true" colors. I'm sure it could be done with some gel filters or colored LEDs

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 06-13-2016 at 05:32 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote