E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
oyster

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325xi
Send a message via MSN to oyster
Xi fluid change - DYI

hi all

has any e46 Xi owner ever diy the following?

1-fluid change front differential
2-fluid change transfer case
3-fluid change rear differential
4-fluid change tranny

Thanks

Canadian forum for BMW and Porsche enthusiasts & more

www.tuningemotion.com
oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
deutsch325

My Ride: xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster
hi all

has any e46 Xi owner ever diy the following?

1-fluid change front differential
2-fluid change transfer case
3-fluid change rear differential
4-fluid change tranny

Thanks
I'm in the same boat you are man.. All I have determined is which fluids and viscocities are needed(don't know about transfer case though)
Old 11-11-2005, 02:21 AM   #3
rayxi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Just did everything but transfer case with redline. I couldn't find any information on what type of oil or where the fill/drain plugs are for the xfer case. From what I can tell there is only one plug which means you have to remove the xfer case to change the oil.
rayxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #4
oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxi
Just did everything but transfer case with redline. I couldn't find any information on what type of oil or where the fill/drain plugs are for the xfer case. From what I can tell there is only one plug which means you have to remove the xfer case to change the oil.

I think I will use my mity vac to suck it out and use a clean hand pump to pump in the new fluid

what is your mileage on your car and how often are we suppose to do it

btw ALL: I took screen shot from TIS on all the items. PM me your email so I can send attachement

www.tuningemotion.com
Old 11-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch325
I'm in the same boat you are man.. All I have determined is which fluids and viscocities are needed(don't know about transfer case though)
can you please post fluids name and model or part number?

www.tuningemotion.com
Old 11-11-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Getagrip

My Ride: 03 330xi
What mileage interval were you guys going to change those fluids?

rayxi- what mileage did you change yours?
Getagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
deutsch325

Quote:
can you please post fluids name and model or part number?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the thing to do is change out the oem "lifetime" fluids with Redline synthetics(change interval = 30,000). I plan to order them from http://turnermotorsport.com they carry the whole line of Redline fluids.

Manual transmission: Redline Synthetic D4 ATF
Power steering: Redline Synthetic D4 ATF
Front Differential: Red Line 75w90 Differential Gear Oil
Rear differential: Red Line 75w90 Differential Gear Oil

These are DIY instructions from bmw325i.net (not XI specific!)
http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_tran_fluid.shtml
http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_rear_diff_fluid.shtml
http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_ps_check.shtml

Did I miss anything? I'm already at 38k with no changes, so I'm itching to take care of that.. I talked to my dealership about it, and they said lifetime fluids don't need to be changed blahblahblah, but of course they will do the manual transmission fluid change for over $400(half for the fluids, half for labor)... I said no thank you... why waste the money when I can DIY it for under $50?

Last edited by deutsch325; 11-11-2005 at 02:29 PM.
deutsch325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #8
oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch325
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the thing to do is change out the oem "lifetime" fluids with Redline synthetics(change interval = 30,000). I plan to order them from http://turnermotorsport.com they carry the whole line of Redline fluids.

Manual transmission: Redline Synthetic D4 ATF
Power steering: Redline Synthetic D4 ATF
Front Differential: Red Line 75w90 Differential Gear Oil
Rear differential: Red Line 75w90 Differential Gear Oil

These are DIY instructions from bmw325i.net (not XI specific!)
http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_tran_fluid.shtml
http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_rear_diff_fluid.shtml
http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_ps_check.shtml

Did I miss anything? I'm already at 38k with no changes, so I'm itching to take care of that.. I talked to my dealership about it, and they said lifetime fluids don't need to be changed blahblahblah, but of course they will do the manual transmission fluid change for over $400(half for the fluids, half for labor)... I said no thank you... why waste the money when I can DIY it for under $50?
Thanks. I am at 76,000 km so Inspection 2 is around 80k therefore I started looking into it.

Funny, I have a few Redline bottle hanging around too. Dealer does not carry a lot of fluids and must be expensive too. If I go Redline, then 30k change seems reasonable.

OT > which coolant fluid are you using for the radiator?

Now my Million dollar question is

Since the blabla Lifetime stamps and dealer preaching this stuff, I wonder what happens in the event of Tranny, front or rear differential or transfer case failure?

like if we change it they blame use but if we don't change it, we have no one to blame, dealer always have upper hand

www.tuningemotion.com
Old 11-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
deutsch325

Quote:
OT > which coolant fluid are you using for the radiator?

Now my Million dollar question is

Since the blabla Lifetime stamps and dealer preaching this stuff, I wonder what happens in the event of Tranny, front or rear differential or transfer case failure?

like if we change it they blame use but if we don't change it, we have no one to blame, dealer always have upper hand
We should only use the BMW OEM antifreeze 50/50 with distilled water(flush every 2 years), it will not corrode the aluminum like others will. Also, for high ambiant temps, add Redline Water Wetter.

If tranny or differentials fail within warrenty period, of course, they have to cover it. But in all likelyhood, the car will make it to 100k with no driveline fluid changes, this is how it was designed. It might be in bad shape by that time, but not many owners keep it that long to find out.

I plan to change all those fluids at regular intervals to keep the vehicle in top condition, so it will last 200k without excessive costly repairs. If you want to keep it a long time, the best thing to do is keep up on all the necessary preventative maintainence.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #10
rayxi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I'm only at 45,000 km but the car is 5 years old.

Nobody has info on the xfer case fluid change? I don't think you can use an extractor since the only plug I've found is at the bottom.

BTW, I've noticed much smoother shifting since the tranny fluid change. It's been about a month so I'll see soon whether I loose the smoothness as some have reported with Redline.
rayxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #11
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Quote:
BTW, I've noticed much smoother shifting since the tranny fluid change. It's been about a month so I'll see soon whether I loose the smoothness as some have reported with Redline.
I went with Redline in the manual transmission early in the year and am now finding getting a bit notchy again - this seems to be a common observation with this fluid for some reason. I'll likely do it again in the spring, either with the same fluid or try RP since that is the brand I'm using for motor oil and have been very happy with it.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:13 PM   #12
oyster

Quote:
I'm only at 45,000 km but the car is 5 years old.

Nobody has info on the xfer case fluid change? I don't think you can use an extractor since the only plug I've found is at the bottom.
Thanks for sharing, I haven't had time to look at it. But if it is at the bottom, then it is like the mystery of the CARAMILK.

www.tuningemotion.com