E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
hemant

My Ride: 323i
Oil change (from regular to synthetic)

Hi folks, I got myself a 99 BMW 323i before a couple of weeks. Looks like the previous owner has been using regular oil in the car and I would like to switch to synthetic. I've heard that one should gradually shift to synthetic by using a regular + synthetic mix for a few times before using full synthetic. May be you guys can throw some light into this, what should be the proportion of the mix and how many times and how often should I do this before switching to full synthetic.

Considering the cost, I guess I'll DIY. I was thinking about using a oil pump extractor but was unable to locate a store that sells one. Has anyone purchased it from the local stores and how much does it cost?
hemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #2
hamann99
X-Hamann99

My Ride: 323i->350Z->87 325is
Send a message via AIM to hamann99
I have no idea what's going on, but all e46 should've came with synthetic to begin with. Mine did. If the previous owner was dumb enough to use mineral oil, then I really want to slap him for being that stupid. Only thing I can think of now to going back to synthetic si actually flushing the system first with synthetic oil and then do it like a regular oil change.

Any fool can drive in a straight line
hamann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
hamann99
X-Hamann99

My Ride: 323i->350Z->87 325is
Send a message via AIM to hamann99
oh and as for a pump extractor here you go www.griotsgarage.com you'll find it on there.

Any fool can drive in a straight line
hamann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
I have read that synthetic and mineral oil should not be mixed. I'd suggest going straight to the synthetic oil - if you really want to be safe, do another change maybe 500 to 1000km later. That might be overkill though.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
hemant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamann99
I have no idea what's going on, but all e46 should've came with synthetic to begin with. Mine did. If the previous owner was dumb enough to use mineral oil, then I really want to slap him for being that stupid. Only thing I can think of now to going back to synthetic si actually flushing the system first with synthetic oil and then do it like a regular oil change.
How do I flush the system? should I do it myself.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
i would call a bmw shop (not a dealer) and ask them what they think is a good idea
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Kmhmuboy

It's not really going to be a problem. When you do switch from synthetic back to non is when you'll have problems. It's hard to explain why, but basically the seals get use to the synthetic and when you go back sometimes they bust causing leaks which then creates the problems. Hope i've helped you some.
Kmhmuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
Tom Busby

My Ride: 2001 325i, 1995 318i
Oil is oil when you put it in; the difference is that synthetic lasts longer, all other things being hypothetically equal as to detergent level, initial viscosity and viscosity extenders, etc.

Check out bobistheoilguy.com for actual tests and a much more scientific explanation.
Tom Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
Is Mobile 1 Synthetic a good choice for our cars?

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #10
deutsch325

My Ride: xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRITE
Is Mobile 1 Synthetic a good choice for our cars?
ONLY the 0w-40 grade
Old 11-19-2005, 03:00 AM   #11
still

My Ride: 01 R6
i used 10w40 Castrol full synthetic,on my 63k miles 01 325i.. is that bad?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:18 AM   #12
rooneym

My Ride: 2001 E46 325I
Send a message via AIM to rooneym
Quote:
Originally Posted by still
i used 10w40 Castrol full synthetic,on my 63k miles 01 325i.. is that bad?

Make sure the oil is BMW LL approved. Look on the back of the bottle for "BMW Longlife 01" approved
rooneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #13
hemant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooneym
Make sure the oil is BMW LL approved. Look on the back of the bottle for "BMW Longlife 01" approved
Ok, so I guess I'll buy the PELA oil extractor and change oil (Mobil 1 OW 40) once now and again after 500/1000 miles.