E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
flacoy2k

My Ride: 2002 M3
Turner Motorsports looses championship at VIR M3 engine failure

I read that the turner motorsports M3 could not compete at VIR on the Grand American GS series. They were second in the championship and could have won it. That M3 won the most races. The M3 had an engine failure during qualifying and I guess turner motorsport did not have an extra engine. What a shame. There were tons of BMW fans for the October Fest there. Why didn't anybody lend them their engine.

The new mustang won the championship.
flacoy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Mteknic330ci

My Ride: Turbo E36 M3, 335i
Send a message via AIM to Mteknic330ci
That is sad... Mustangs are gay (wanabee Corvettes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flacoy2k
I read that the turner motorsports M3 could not compete at VIR on the Grand American GS series. They were second in the championship and could have won it. That M3 won the most races. The M3 had an engine failure during qualifying and I guess turner motorsport did not have an extra engine. What a shame. There were tons of BMW fans for the October Fest there. Why didn't anybody lend them their engine.

The new mustang won the championship.

SOLD-95' 325i Lightly Modded
Mteknic330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:33 AM   #3
flacoy2k

With all the fans that were there with plenty of M3s. I would have lend them my engine. But I believe they would not have time to change the engine anyway since they only had about an hour.

Was anybody here present at that race?
Old 10-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
SLEEP3R

My Ride: R6
hmmm... a fan can lend a team an engine from their own car? can someone clarify this for me.

Last edited by SLEEP3R; 10-15-2005 at 06:50 AM.
SLEEP3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:19 AM   #5
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEP3R
hmmm... a fan can lend a team an engine from their own car? can someone clarify this for me.
I seriously doubt it.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #6
flacoy2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
I seriously doubt it.
For this particular series yes. The M3 engine engine for this series has no mods at all. The most the team can do is blueprint the engine. I believe they don't even allow new Intake system on the M3 engine.

read what is allow for the M3 on page 7.

http://www.grandamerican.com/CONTENT...GAC%203-28.pdf
Old 11-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #7
rnitti

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by flacoy2k
For this particular series yes. The M3 engine engine for this series has no mods at all. The most the team can do is blueprint the engine. I believe they don't even allow new Intake system on the M3 engine.

read what is allow for the M3 on page 7.

http://www.grandamerican.com/CONTENT...GAC%203-28.pdf
Actually, if you read closely, almost every part can be modified (lightened, balanced, different pistons) to an extent. These cars are not running factory OEM engines from BMW. They have definetly been gone through.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Also theres the possibly that the "fans" engine is highly modified internally(ie-not visible).
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
flacoy2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
Also theres the possibly that the "fans" engine is highly modified internally(ie-not visible).
I agree but it would have been fun anyway even if it failed the post race inspection.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #10
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
if you read 7-8.2 through 7-8.5, the engine internals can only be balanced, not lightened in any way, and must be the same diminsions as OEM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnitti
Actually, if you read closely, almost every part can be modified (lightened, balanced, different pistons) to an extent. These cars are not running factory OEM engines from BMW. They have definetly been gone through.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #11
flacoy2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
if you read 7-8.2 through 7-8.5, the engine internals can only be balanced, not lightened in any way, and must be the same diminsions as OEM.
Agree the M3 is probably the closest car to production in the entire field. That is why I was sad to see it loose. The mustang that won the championship has a total different engine from Ford racing. The Transmission is not the stock either. The Control arms and suspension pieces are not stock. The M3 is the other hand has its stock engine, transmision and intake. The control arms are stock. Only the shocks, springs, front brakes, exhaust and roll cage are not stock. The turner motorsport M3 was the car that won the most races. They could not catch the mustang in points because the first race they finished last due to electronic pedal malfunction. Grand American has a funny point system like nascar were is hard to beat a car that finishes 3-4 every race when you finish last on one race.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #12
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
GARRA is a waste. PTG M5/6 in ALMS next year
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #13
jsedlak

My Ride: 2002 325i
Send a message via AIM to jsedlak Send a message via MSN to jsedlak
Don't they run the GTR V8 anyways?
jsedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #14
flacoy2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3one3
GARRA is a waste. PTG M5/6 in ALMS next year
I wish this was true. Although autoweek published an article that BMW was looking to enter the ALMS with the M6 in the GT1 category.

Here is that article.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101336
Old 11-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #15
b-mak

My Ride: everything
Here is a different take on Turner's GAC M3:

http://grandamerican.com/Messageboar...ad.asp?ID=2726
b-mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #16
rnitti

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren
I was referring to 7-8.3 where it states that the lightest piston and rod must be remain unaltered which means that the other ones can be lightened to match.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #17
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
I find it strange that the #96 car drove back to the trailer under it's own power after qualifying. It was parked in the corner of the tent and it never moved from that position. I have worked on many dry sumped motors (the M3 motors in Cup are dry sump) and know that if the belt comes off, the block will have a hole introduced in it. This only takes about 5sec of running.

Plus, there were many M3's at the track and I doubt that it would take very long to change a motor with top notch mechanics. Turner was able to change two motors in their ST cars at Barber without a problem. They only had one spare and a fellow competitor lent them their spare.

One other point. The 996's and 997's are the most stock cars in the GS class. The M3 is next in line, as it is allowed bigger front brakes and a dry sump.

Read into this all you want but something is strange about this whole situation.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #18
BDB325xi

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Just finished watching the Speedvision coverage of the race. The team had only had 1 1/2 hours to change the engine. Not enough time, even for the Turner crew. That s**ks, but thats racing. Sometimes that happens to "our" team, sometimes to the other guys.
BDB325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:01 AM   #19
b-mak

My Ride: everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB325xi
Just finished watching the Speedvision coverage of the race. The team had only had 1 1/2 hours to change the engine. Not enough time, even for the Turner crew. That s**ks, but thats racing. Sometimes that happens to "our" team, sometimes to the other guys.
Do you always believe what you see on television? If that's the case, I've got a 04 M3 that I'd like to sell you cheap. Just transfer the $20K to my escrow account...
b-mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #20
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
There were 2hrs of available time to change the motor. GS qual ended at 11:40 and the Cup race started at 1:50. 3 of us can change a motor in a 330 under 2hrs, so I don't see why an M3 would take any longer. Also, these cars are stripped to the bone, so it is easier to work on them as compared to a normal street car.