E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2015, 02:32 AM   #1
celoe46

E46 330i supercharger questions

Im new to the forums so be easy on me lol ive also been a mechanic for 12 years and i do all the work on my cars. I have a 2001 330i with a vortech supercharger(VF engineering stage 1 kit). I'm looking to upgrade the pulley, put bigger injectors, and intercooler. Any suggestions? I'm also looking for a tune/tuner for that. I have a hex flash which I used to upload the VF tune into my ecu. Is there a way to load another tune once I'm done with the upgrades?
celoe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:55 AM   #2
Davew
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1082287

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1081659

Read through the links. I run an ESS TS and have raised boost by 5 psi, installed larger injectors, larger fuel pump and used the software supplied in those threads to tune
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Rob43
Performance Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by celoe46 View Post
Im new to the forums so be easy on me lol ive also been a mechanic for 12 years and i do all the work on my cars. I have a 2001 330i with a vortech supercharger(VF engineering stage 1 kit). I'm looking to upgrade the pulley, put bigger injectors, and intercooler. Any suggestions? I'm also looking for a tune/tuner for that. I have a hex flash which I used to upload the VF tune into my ecu. Is there a way to load another tune once I'm done with the upgrades?
I would first recommend a phone call or Email with "Nik" Saran the owner of VF Engineering, he of course knows what can & can't be done to their VFK 17-01 kit.

Having said that, I'd recommend:

1) A rebuild of your Vortech unit with High Speed bearings & an improved CNC'd High Performance billet impeller. The high speed bearings allow your Vortech to safely spin much faster with your newly installed smaller pulley, and the billet impeller will add 10 to 15% more boost in ALL RPM ranges.

Standard rebuild ~$429
Premium rebuild, with upgraded mechanical seal for the impeller shaft, and ceramic high-speed bearings ~$695
Premium Rebuild with upgraded mechanical seal for the impeller shaft, ceramic high-speed bearings, & CNC'd High Performance Billet Impeller ~$1229

2) Use a water/meth injection kit which will do two very important things:

A) Cooling, running a Before & After W/M nozzle placement will cool the S/C unit plus cool the incoming air charge.

B) Supply an Extra High Octane Fuel supply, this will aid in knock suppression & may allow you to KEEP your current fuel injectors.

3) Smaller pulley for more boost with a granular coating that is applied into the vees of the pulleys, this special coating will prevent belt slippage.

4) Tune: It is possible that the original VF Tune will adapt to these new changes, Nik from VF will can comment on this more.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

NEW E46 Xi COILOVERS DISCOVERED FOR ~$729 SHIPPED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Inexpensive Coilovers Like: Jom, RL, SE, RK, SW, & FK.

Last edited by Rob43; 10-23-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
celoe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post

Read through the links. I run an ESS TS and have raised boost by 5 psi, installed larger injectors, larger fuel pump and used the software supplied in those threads to tune
Damn this is really gonna help me! Thanks I really appreciate it, I'll try and keep you guys updated on my results after I get everything done.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
celoe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I would first recommend a phone call or Email with "Nik" Saran the owner of VF Engineering, he of course knows what can & can't be done to their VFK 17-01 kit.

Having said that, I'd recommend:

1) A rebuild of your Vortech unit with High Speed bearings & an improved CNC'd High Performance billet impeller. The high speed bearings allow your Vortech to safely spin much faster with your newly installed smaller pulley, and the billet impeller will add 10 to 15% more boost in ALL RPM ranges.

Standard rebuild ~$429
Premium rebuild, with upgraded mechanical seal for the impeller shaft, and ceramic high-speed bearings ~$695
Premium Rebuild with upgraded mechanical seal for the impeller shaft, ceramic high-speed bearings, & CNC'd High Performance Billet Impeller ~$1229

2) Use a water/meth injection kit which will do two very important things:

A) Cooling, running a Before & After W/M nozzle placement will cool the S/C unit plus cool the incoming air charge.

B) Supply an Extra High Octane Fuel supply, this will aid in knock suppression & may allow you to KEEP your current fuel injectors.

3) Smaller pulley for more boost with a granular coating that is applied into the vees of the pulleys, this special coating will prevent belt slippage.

4) Tune: It is possible that the original VF Tune will adapt to these new changes, Nik from VF will can comment on this more.

Rob43
Thanks for the info man, those are definitely somethings I'll look into. As for VF I contacted them about the upgrades I'm doing and they said they didn't have a tune for the things I'm doing to it. I don't recall talking to Nik but Davew sent those threads and that will probably help me finish everything up. I will try VF again and see if I can get a hold of Nik but i honestly think those threads will help me with the tune. I really appreciate it the helpful tips though!
Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
celoe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post

Did you tune it yourself or did you use the software to have someone else tune it? I'm still trying to understand how the software works.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:53 AM   #7
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
As far as i know, he did it himself. But hes probably chiming in in short period of time.

What exact problems do you have?

Did you already watch my instructional video on youtube on how to work with TunerPro?
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:23 AM   #8
Davew
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
Quote:
Did you tune it yourself or did you use the software to have someone else tune it? I'm still trying to understand how the software works.
My car/ tuning experience goes back to carbureted V8's and 6's to be completely honest. So tuning a charged E46 was pretty daunting to start with. I first started playing with the software and interfaces (galletto and Inpa cables) until I was confident I had a good grasp of it. I then just made a few smaller changes to get a bit of confidence.

I asked a lot of questions, and the people I asked were very helpful. I first managed to tune the car on the road with datalogging good enough to drive to a local dyno.

I was selective on which dyno I used, I told the operator that I knew the software, but would need a lot of help analysing the data and making finer changes. After a few hours, the car was tuned.

After that first tune, I upgraded the fuel pump, but have now just road tuned it till the next upgrade (fuel pump I tuned it on was too small for injectors, or defective). The next upgrade will be well above my comfort level, so I will be asking for some help remote tuning it.
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #9
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
And im confident you will get that help
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #10
celoe46

anyone knows where theres a good tuner here in socal?
Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
Hobbit382

My Ride: 99-328i 00-323i
Quote:
anyone knows where theres a good tuner here in socal?
I could probably help you with a remote tune
Hobbit382 is offline   Reply With Quote