E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Exhaust size recommendations for ESS TS2 kit

I'm running ebay headers with the magnaflow 16533 right now, which is a dual 2.5" system until you get to the rear muffler, which shrinks to a single 2.25" restriction (don't ask me why?).

I've got tons of torque but I feel like my top end should be better.

I haven't dyno'd yet, I will in July.

Before then, I've been thinking a lot about the optimal exhaust size for a M54B30 with the TS2 kit.

I'm sure a single 2.25" isn't remotely enough.

I'm considering replacing the rear muffler for a Magnaflow 12198, which would convert my single 2.25" restriction to a single 3".

Is a single 3" pipe at the end of the exhaust system sufficient for the 300whp or so that a TS2 should be making?

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 05-30-2015 at 01:48 PM.
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
cosmos328Ci

My Ride: 328Ci -M54B30 on E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
I'm running ebay headers with the magnaflow 16533 right now, which is a dual 2.5" system until you get to the rear muffler, which shrinks to a single 2.25" restriction (don't ask me why?).

I've got tons of torque but I feel like my top end should be better.

I haven't dyno'd yet, I will in July.

Before then, I've been thinking a lot about the optimal exhaust size for a M54B30 with the TS2 kit.

I'm sure a single 2.25" isn't remotely enough.

I'm considering replacing the rear muffler for a Magnaflow 12198, which would convert my single 2.25" restriction to a single 3".

Is a single 3" pipe at the end of the exhaust system sufficient for the 300whp or so that a TS2 should be making?
I have been doing a fair bit of web trolling the last few weeks:

1. Minimum 3" single all the way back.

You already have twin 2.5" back to the muffler, use the 12198 3" muffler (as you said) - cheapest option for you.

Ensure you do a before and after dyno run to verify any gains or loss.

Is your tune set up for the free flowing exhaust?
- Get your AFR read, to see if you are already running lean up top.

Get the dyno done before any changes.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #3
rkneeshaw

Dyno is like 4hrs away

And unfortunately they don't read A/F I was looking for some options for reading A/F on my own, like getting a wideband, but I'm not interested in wiring up a permanent solution so maybe something like borrowing a LM-1 or something would be best.

I'm thinking I'll just do the 3" muffler swap, because I don't know what other option I have short of replacing the entire exhaust (which makes me sad because I LOVE the sound of this magnaflow). I'm sure the dual 2.5" is good for power, its just that last section. Magnaflow does make a dual 2.5" in/out but its a 4" x 9" body instead of the 5" x 8".... I dont want to make this thing any louder if I can at all help it so the dual 2.5" in/single 3" out muffler seems most appealing to me. I guess I am just looking for validation that the 3" should be good for good power out of the TS2 kit.

On another note, the other theory I'm exploring for the power issue is pulled timing in the higher RPM's. I dont' think i'd be the first with that problem with the TS2 kit and the MS45.1 DME.... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1038699

I swear I've ran through the gears a couple times where this thing just RIPPED to 60+. But then more often I feel like it gets over like 5k RPM and it still pulls but it doesn't RIP... if you know what I mean. I wish I had another TS2 car to compare to. I need data to backup my subjective unreliable feelings.

Since I'm sure that 2.25" restriction isn't a good thing, I'm thinking I should move forward with the 3" muffler, and then do some datalogging to get some data on my timing, and then after that try to get some A/F data. Then once that all checks out, I'll get the "after" dyno.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
cosmos328Ci

My Ride: 328Ci -M54B30 on E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Dyno is like 4hrs away

And unfortunately they don't read A/F I was looking for some options for reading A/F on my own, like getting a wideband, but I'm not interested in wiring up a permanent solution so maybe something like borrowing a LM-1 or something would be best.

I'm thinking I'll just do the 3" muffler swap, because I don't know what other option I have short of replacing the entire exhaust (which makes me sad because I LOVE the sound of this magnaflow). I'm sure the dual 2.5" is good for power, its just that last section. Magnaflow does make a dual 2.5" in/out but its a 4" x 9" body instead of the 5" x 8".... I dont want to make this thing any louder if I can at all help it so the dual 2.5" in/single 3" out muffler seems most appealing to me. I guess I am just looking for validation that the 3" should be good for good power out of the TS2 kit.

On another note, the other theory I'm exploring for the power issue is pulled timing in the higher RPM's. I dont' think i'd be the first with that problem with the TS2 kit and the MS45.1 DME.... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1038699

I swear I've ran through the gears a couple times where this thing just RIPPED to 60+. But then more often I feel like it gets over like 5k RPM and it still pulls but it doesn't RIP... if you know what I mean. I wish I had another TS2 car to compare to. I need data to backup my subjective unreliable feelings.

Since I'm sure that 2.25" restriction isn't a good thing, I'm thinking I should move forward with the 3" muffler, and then do some datalogging to get some data on my timing, and then after that try to get some A/F data. Then once that all checks out, I'll get the "after" dyno.
At least, you should try and get your data logging and AFR done before any changes, this will allow more accurate diagnosis.

It would not be the first time that a TS2 tune has been running leaner at the top end than it should be, therefore timing being pulled as a result.

You are using 93 fuel?

Just add the 3" Muffler.

Last edited by cosmos328Ci; 05-30-2015 at 04:13 PM.
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
rkneeshaw

Yep, running 93 octane here in the US.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #6
pokeybritches

My Ride: G-Power Z4M, VF Z4
There's probably a dyno closer than 4 hours away, unless you're in the middle of nowhere. What's your location?

I'm a little over your power level on my M54B30 Z4, and I have a Supersprint y-pipe that goes to a single 3" exhaust. I love it for both the scavenging and tonal qualities. The crossover is just after what would be considered the s-pipe.

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
pokeybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:43 AM   #7
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Some of us are 3hrs away from a roller dyno, and 10-13hrs away from a load control dyno.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
rkneeshaw

pokey, I'm not sure what you mean by S-pipe? is that shortly after the headers meet the typical cat-back exhaust?

I'm in northern michigan, a few minutes from the mackinaw bridge. Population 15,000.