E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #21
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthsa
Wow, that looks awesome.
Actually, I'm gonna have a double-din setup like you very soon but I'll have an eclipse radio though.
Although I'm not a person who has good mechanical knowledges like you, I'll try to install it myself.
I'm pretty sure about to modify that airvent stuff but I don't have any ideas for factory wires that which wires are for speakers, a speed sensor, a power and etc.
If I could get that wiring info, I might be able to get the double-din done by myself.
Any hepful info will be very appreciated.
Thanks.

Wiring is the easy part.

http://www.projectbimmer.com/BmwWiring.htm
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...26&postcount=5

-Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Sensor & Reverse wires.jpg
Views:	1214
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	155495  
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 PM   #22
lthsa

My Ride: e46 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrCsTc
Rich, you da man.
Great info although I'm still not very cleared about wiring.
Is there anyone would write up whole wiring process with the pics for aftermarket double-din NAV units?
It'll be greatly appreciated.
lthsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #23
turbo38sfi

My Ride: 2004 M3
I've got last yr's model of that radio. Have had it in for over a yr and a half now. The original material that was used on my vents did not hold up and over time warped like mad. This past weekend I began to work on a new solution. Using a different plastic and duct tape, I got it pretty good. My next step it to make a glass mold from the plastic/duct tape contraption I got there now and make a "Cap" so to speak, all one piece w/no leaks. I retained the arm behind it so the flapper doors are operational.

It's hard to tell from the pics, do you have anymore close ups? I think I've got more material cut away than you do but your radio appears to be sitting more level than mine, where mine is angled up slightly, so I'm not sure how that's working, but it looks great. I don't want to put too much time on reworking mine cause once the new Eclipse radio comes out with a Sirius connection, I'm ditching my Kenwood and moving to that, so I may have to rework it again and don't want to do it 2x in the matter of a few months.
turbo38sfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:04 AM   #24
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Nice install.

Does anyone have a pic of the assembly pre cut so I can get a better idea of the control arm?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:27 AM   #25
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
i'm lost..

what is that little box for? support of the double din unit?.. or it redirects air flow?.. huh?.... how was the vent system modified?

TIA

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #26
digitalsin

My Ride: 01 M3 Imola Coupe
if anyone is interested I'm selling a brand new Kenwood DDX-7017 with KN-DV4100 over in the Classified section. Here's a pic of mine in my car with the kit I bought from Rich.

digitalsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #27
Myster

My Ride: 04 330Ci/06 CooperS
Great installation! Do you have any more pictures of the vent modifications you completed?
Myster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #28
bigjae1976

Can anyone tell me if this part:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...112&sasel=&id=

is the same as the part that is cut below?

How much will this thing cost from the dealer? Just curious in case I FUBAR mine up.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:06 PM   #29
SrCsTc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Can anyone tell me if this part:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...112&sasel=&id=

is the same as the part that is cut below?

How much will this thing cost from the dealer? Just curious in case I FUBAR mine up.

Yes it is, they sell on ebay all the time.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #30
jamoses66

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
To replace that part, you would have to remove the entire dash assembly, to take out the cut heat/vent box and replace it with a new one. Not a simple operation from what I've read. In other words...measure twice, cut once.

-J
jamoses66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #31
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoses66
To replace that part, you would have to remove the entire dash assembly, to take out the cut heat/vent box and replace it with a new one. Not a simple operation from what I've read. In other words...measure twice, cut once.

-J
Yes, it looks very complicated to remove. At least I'd like to get one and do science experiments on it first. So when I cut, I know what's behind there.

I'm still debating this.

BTW, how hard is it to remove the dash assembly?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:56 AM   #32
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
If you remove the sunglass pocket/carrier, hvac controls and radio, you have all the access space you need.

The main duct has a cover plate in the front that can be easily removed by undoing 4 clips. You can then see what is inside and decide whether you want to do it or not. You can cut the top portion of the plate on a workbench and then cut the rest of the ducts in the car using tin snips (you could use a dremel, but it would get a bit messy).

Once you remove the cover, you will be able to see the two dampers that control air flow to the driver's and passenger's side foot areas. The two dampers are connected by a plastic rod. If you want to install a double-din in the middle of the hole and make it look good, you would have to remove the rod. Most people remove the rod and leave the dampers permanently open or closed, since they won't be able to automatically move.

If you do want to retain full functionality of the dampers, you have to relocate the rod to the lower part of the dampers, which involves cutting the dampers, cutting the rod supports and reworking the mounts in the lower part of the dampers. You still need to trim a small corner on the dampers so that they clear the radio, but the corner would probably allow a "leak" of only 5%-10% air.

Quote:
Yes, it looks very complicated to remove. At least I'd like to get one and do science experiments on it first. So when I cut, I know what's behind there.

I'm still debating this.

BTW, how hard is it to remove the dash assembly?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #33
turbo38sfi

Quote:

I was told by the dealer that's a $2k part and requires the whole dash, and then some to be replaced...
Old 01-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #34
SrCsTc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
I was told by the dealer that's a $2k part and requires the whole dash, and then some to be replaced...

I see those selling on ebay for under $100 all the time. And nothing else needs to be replaced. I bet every salvage yard has one.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #35
turbo38sfi

Quote:
I see those selling on ebay for under $100 all the time. And nothing else needs to be replaced. I bet every salvage yard has one.

What I was told...my dash was replaced..while it was asked I asked about replacing this part, cuz I was moving away from the dbl din...dealer said it was 2k and that it was still a pain to do w/the dash out of the car, it was behind some braces or something...

Anyways..I am tradin in the M for an X tomorrow..so I'll have a new project soon!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #36
ca1242

The $2000 is probably mostly labor, since they have to take the whole front of the car apart.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #37
bigjae1976

Quote:
One just sold for $100 with 1 bid.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #38
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242
Once you remove the cover, you will be able to see the two dampers that control air flow to the driver's and passenger's side foot areas. The two dampers are connected by a plastic rod.
So if I remove the damper rod, the only thing that will happen is that air will always be blowing into the footwell?

I have sweaty feet and run the air conditioner most of the time so that would actually be a plus!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #39
ca1242

If you just remove the rod that's in the way, the passenger's side damper would still work (you would need to cut a small corner off so it fully opens). The driver's side damper would not move at all.

You could leave the driver's side damper in any position you want and it will stay there. So you could leave it fully open (again, you might need to cut a notch in the corner), midway open or fully closed (no cutting required for midway or fully closed).

Take the cover off one of these days and take a looksy. No harm done with just looking.

Quote:
So if I remove the damper rod, the only thing that will happen is that air will always be blowing into the footwell?

I have sweaty feet and run the air conditioner most of the time so that would actually be a plus!
Old 01-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #40
GarrettF
needs a new sig...

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to GarrettF
i am doing adouble din install and i cam more ocnfised by this post then I was before, what exactly do i need to CUT to get the unit to fit. Second i dont care if the vents are always open, if i remove the rod in the open position then the air flow will be on all the time and ill still get good airflow?