E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
E46M3CAB

My Ride: 04M3Cab
E46 convert Hardtop Install

I have just picked up a hardtop for my 04 M3 Convert and now I need to do the retro fit. I purchased the installation kit from BMW (If your car came with a hardtop this was already installed) now I need to figure out how to attach the wires on the install kit to the car. There are two plugs that attach to the car. Anyone who did the retro fit know where the two plugs plug into on the car????? I CAN'T FIND THE WIRES ANYWHERE.
(If you puchased the hardtop with your car the dealer attached the plugs for you and when you clamp in the rear of the top it automatically powers up the dome light and defrost). I know the wires attach somewhere near the rear clamps, I have installed the two brackets but I can't find where to attach the wires! THANKS BILL
E46M3CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Sorry I don't have an answer but I wanted to ask you how much you paid for the top? Thanks and good luck!

Oh, ask Chien... he has one.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Wilson

My Ride: E46 328ci ->E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC
Sorry I don't have an answer but I wanted to ask you how much you paid for the top? Thanks and good luck!

Oh, ask Chien... he has one.
I was also wondering how much it was for one also? Cause my mom is looking for one. Thanks.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
E46M3CAB

My Ride: 04M3Cab
Ebay $ 1,000 with cart and cover. Painting was $400, instal kit is $120. Here are a few things to watch out for when buying. Try to buy one in your local area because shipping can be $300 - $400, and it needs to be crated to ship. All the tops for the E46 are the same but the exterior trim is different for the M3, it is black instead of chrome. The interior is either black or gray. Good luck. Bill
E46M3CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:04 AM   #5
Chien

My Ride: is my addiction
Send a message via AIM to Chien
I have a hardtop but I got it from the dealer at the time I purchused the car. I didn't have to install anything. Sorry I don't think I can help you.
Chien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
Obsidian

My Ride: M3 Vert
I just installed the prep kit myself 2 days ago. It is a pain in the ass if you don't have small hands to reach really far back into the compartment. I have scrapped up hands from the install but is better then paying the stealership 500-600 dollars to do it.
The right side was much easier to install than the left because there is an extra wire attached to the metal bracket, which gets in the way in an already tight space. 1 st open the top partially and remove the small plastic cover from both sides of the car next to the rear seat side panel. There is a larger plastic panel attached to a spring right above it. Remove the spring from the panel so that it slides freely. The wiring harness needs to be attached to a slot towards that front. If you look into the hole there is a wiring harness about 7-8 inches towards the front there are 3 slots but only the middle one is open. Shine a flashlight down the opening to see it. The top is small and the bottom is white and wider than the middle. Make sure you have the black wiring harness positioned correctly to fit into the middle slot, I beleive it's circular side to the right. You have to get the slot into the harness. You're supposed to take out the rear seats and a bunch of other panels to do it properly but I just crammed my hand in there. It took a couple hours and tons of frustration but I got it in there partially with my hand and stuck a chopstick in there to push it the rest of the way through. You also have to put the metal brackets into the predrilled slots. Put the bracket underneath the predrilled holes and attach it but putting the screws from the top, there are arrows on the metal brackets to show you proper positioning. DONT OVERTIGHTEN the screws with a socket wrench because you can rip off the screw head with too much torque. Stop tightening when you feels moderate resistance. Finally snap the plastic piece on the top of the metal bracket and your done.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
Obsidian

My Ride: M3 Vert
Here are some pics to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
mike greco

My Ride: M3
i needed that info
mike greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
grizzy727

My Ride: 08 m5 + 04 911=845hp
thats for the info too--i tried this morning plus the plus wre a royal PITA so I gave up and only install the brackets--I try again another day
Mike
grizzy727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #10
tran330cic

My Ride: Estoril Blue M3 Vert
Hi guys,

I just removed my hardtop install kit. I followed the instructions above and was pretty easy. However, I could not get my soft top to close. It's not working. The light flashes on the close top button. I guess it's stuck or something.

Any ideas? Thanks. David
tran330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Airbalancer

My Ride: 323CIC
Does the back lid open? Is it even latched?
My lid would not open, I had to get the motor replaced, would have been over $2500 CDN, luck it was under warrenty
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=351083
Airbalancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
grizzy727

My Ride: 08 m5 + 04 911=845hp
How did u make the connections--I cudnt fit apinky in there to see--Almost took off interior side panels--but wont have to worry until winter again
Mike
grizzy727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
tran330cic

Well, I removed the hardtop install kit from one car and installed it on another car. The soft top operates fine on the car I installed on. However, the soft top on my car is not working. Kind of strange?!?!?!

I took off the inside panels and had no problems with the removal or install of the hardtop kit. If you need more info, then let me know.
David
Old 08-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #14
SuperSleeper

My Ride: 2003 330CIC
How hard is it to install the brackets only? I need to pick up a hard top from someone tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #15
tran330cic

Not hard at all!! Took me about 1 hour to do the install. I have directions if you need. Let me know.

David
Old 08-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #16
hiatus1111

My Ride: BLACK E46 M3
does anyone know where i can look for a used hardtop? for a 02 m3
hiatus1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #17
at_b

My Ride: e46 320ci Cabrio Aut
hey guys, does anyone know if i can get just the top plastic parts with the wires? mine broke and that s all i need, don t wanna pay 100 usd for some metal mounts and screws that i already have
Please help me with this as i have not been able to get any information from the dealer or realoem except for pics that don t tell very much.
Cheers
at_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
geargrinder

My Ride: E46M3Cic6M E39540iT
Dead Thread Resurrection: Yeah yeah I know this is an ancient thread. Just have to say I just did the kit and thank Jebus I read the note here first caus the chopstick (or related long poking-tool) method is TOTALLY the way to go. Actually the wiring is not too tough once you:
  1. Unhook the spring for the sliding panel so it can slide all the way in out of the way
  2. Visually ID the plug with a mini-maglite through the hole
  3. Carefully feed the plug & wires in, and prop the metal socket in a place that gives you max slack wire to maneuver (at least for the left / drivers side one which stays attached to the wires)
  4. Line it up close using just the wire on the end, then
  5. Push it home with the chopstick / screwdriver
  6. Bolt the socket in
  7. Beer
  8. Profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
I just installed the prep kit myself 2 days ago. It is a pain in the ass if you don't have small hands to reach really far back into the compartment. I have scrapped up hands from the install but is better then paying the stealership 500-600 dollars to do it.
The right side was much easier to install than the left because there is an extra wire attached to the metal bracket, which gets in the way in an already tight space. 1 st open the top partially and remove the small plastic cover from both sides of the car next to the rear seat side panel. There is a larger plastic panel attached to a spring right above it. Remove the spring from the panel so that it slides freely. The wiring harness needs to be attached to a slot towards that front. If you look into the hole there is a wiring harness about 7-8 inches towards the front there are 3 slots but only the middle one is open. Shine a flashlight down the opening to see it. The top is small and the bottom is white and wider than the middle. Make sure you have the black wiring harness positioned correctly to fit into the middle slot, I beleive it's circular side to the right. You have to get the slot into the harness. You're supposed to take out the rear seats and a bunch of other panels to do it properly but I just crammed my hand in there. It took a couple hours and tons of frustration but I got it in there partially with my hand and stuck a chopstick in there to push it the rest of the way through. You also have to put the metal brackets into the predrilled slots. Put the bracket underneath the predrilled holes and attach it but putting the screws from the top, there are arrows on the metal brackets to show you proper positioning. DONT OVERTIGHTEN the screws with a socket wrench because you can rip off the screw head with too much torque. Stop tightening when you feels moderate resistance. Finally snap the plastic piece on the top of the metal bracket and your done.

geargrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #19
cinredman

My Ride: 330CI sonora Metalli
Right side...sucks!

Received my kit tonight and used instructions above to successfully install left side cable and bracket.

However, the right side...

Tried and tried, but no success. Even removed rear seat and back to open up the trim panel. However, that too struck me as too complicated to mess with as my state of mind was a bit

Called it a night and will make another run at it tomorrow.
cinredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #20
cinredman

My Ride: 330CI sonora Metalli
Tonight we reached success on the right side, by removing the interior panel. Thank goodness for bavaIran soundwerks and their DIY videos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1321595329.300213.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	425640  
cinredman is offline   Reply With Quote