E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2002, 11:46 AM   #1
Calsonic

Angry Why I hate Pirelli P7000s. A 5-7-5 haiku by Calsonic.

Why, why Pirelli?
Make road noise so bloody loud.
Want my money back.

These are the worst tires since Karl Benz patented the tri-wheel motor carriage back in 1887. And the worst part was that I was going to get Kuhmos, but I figured since I was more familiar with Pirelli, I'd be better off with them.

Wrong. My sons and daughters, I have sinned, for I tried to keep it cheap with the rubber. And I have paid the ultimate sacrifice. Next time we go with Michelin pilots.

I bought the p7000s b/c the treadwear was rated at 320. But with rating that high, I should have known I would be riding on bricks.
Calsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:57 AM   #2
-Ryan-
Registered Abuser

My Ride: E92 335i
That was my same complaint with those tires. The hum made me feel like I was in an off-road truck with 44's. Don't worry though, as they get more worn they get even louder. LOL. They suck for traction too. Kumho's are much better on all accounts.
-Ryan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 12:05 PM   #3
Jake N
Lord of the Idiots

My Ride: 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to Jake N
They're that good, eh?
Old 04-12-2002, 12:49 PM   #4
Calsonic

I've realized that if you lower the tire pressure, you can decrease the noise somewhat. It's gotten to the point that I am riding on 27psi. I am about to bring down to 25 if things don't shape up.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:51 PM   #5
Jake N
Lord of the Idiots

My Ride: 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to Jake N
Quote:
Originally posted by Calsonic
I've realized that if you lower the tire pressure, you can decrease the noise somewhat. It's gotten to the point that I am riding on 27psi. I am about to bring down to 25 if things don't shape up.
What size wheels do you have? Running such low tire pressure may lead to bent rims and uneven tire wear.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:52 PM   #6
Froggie

My Ride: 04 m3, 11 Genesis
Send a message via AIM to Froggie
I had them on my 18" Hamann's...

and they sucked big time. The noise was really annoying, I am glad that I went with Nitto's for my current 19" setup.
Froggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:27 PM   #7
Calsonic

Quote:
What size wheels do you have? Running such low tire pressure may lead to bent rims and uneven tire wear.
I have the sport M68 wheels (328ci sport package). I have 225/45 17 in front and 255/40 17 in rear.

An interesting note, I thought this car is supposed to be 51/49 weight balanced. My psi is 27 all around, but my front tires seem much more deflated than the rear ones.

And with a treadwear of 320, I am not too concerned about uneven tire wear. :smile:

I am going to trade the car in next april. I was debating on getting a G35 coupe, but someone told me never to buy version 1.0 software, if you get my drift. But I do think the G35's has a nav system is much nicer and easier to use. And someone told me that Radio Shack sells some sort of upgrade for 50 bucks that allows you to play movies on the screen. Aside from the nav system and the horsepower, nothing else really moves me about that car.

But realistically, the G will never have the clout that the 3 has. BMW has been doing this for too long. There is something about a 3 series convertible designwise that no other sub 50K convertible has.

I love the design on the CS concept. And no, I'm not smoking. :tongue:
Old 04-12-2002, 03:21 PM   #8
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
My buddy got Kuhmo's for his M3....

very nice tire and good bang for the buck!
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 03:58 PM   #9
clark

My Ride: '00 323i
Send a message via ICQ to clark Send a message via AIM to clark
I have been riding on my Kuhmos for about a week now... so far i LOVE them. They make less noise than my winter tires, and grip the road like they are on rails... not to mention the sweet ass tread pattern.

clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 04:05 PM   #10
Cal
Still a fanatic...

My Ride: 08 GL450/04 E320/98M
The Pirelli P7000s are known to be loud. If there is anything good about them, it is that they have a long tread life rating (320) and they are also one of the lightest tires out there. (Probably 2-3 lbs lighter than a typical tire.)
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote