E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
mimaaa

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Send a message via AIM to mimaaa Send a message via Skype™ to mimaaa
rear window tints

my uncle got a reallly crappy tint job awhile ago, now i have his car. i cant barely see out the rear window. how should i remove the tints without damaging the rear defroster?
mimaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
RSL

My Ride: 03 Evo VIII/02 325Ci
AFAIK, the only thing that will kill the defroster is if you actually severe one of the lines and open the circuit, but I would try anything except scraping it off if at all possible.

You might be able to pull the tint off in one shot (if you're really lucky), but to get the adhesive (or any tint that sticks) off, you'll probably need to carefully scrape it off from in between the defroster rows with a razor. Once you get the tint off, GooGone and a stiff brush will make pretty short work of the adhesive left on the window.

Good luck with it...
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
mimaaa

thanks so much, ill give it a try tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
RSL

No problem. I actually just tinted mine myself this weekend with some pre-cut Ebay tint (15% Luminar) Since I bought the car used and it was tinted before, when the dealer pulled the old tint off for recon (all but the rear, haha), some of the old tint glue was left over in between the black dots on all the side windows. GooGone + an old toothbrush took it off VERY easily.

Just try not to scrape any of the defroster lines with a razor/scraper and you should be just fine.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 AM   #5
TroyvM3

My Ride: e46 M3
I have the same problem with tint that I dont want for the rear and rear side windows. How much does a shop usually charge to remove the tint?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
01topaz330ci

My Ride: S/C ///M3...01 330ci
i had the same problem the dealer took off the tint but the entire window had the glue on it, so when i went to get my new tints, 10% all around they charged me 50 bucks to take the glue off of my windows. and they did a perfect job!
01topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
When I wanted to have mine removed, they told me that I would have to bring it in early in the morning so that they could spray something on the tint to loosen the bond and not mess with any defroster lines.
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
God Damnit Its Not Tints, Its Tint.

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:59 PM   #9
bigme

My Ride: three2fiveCI
Send a message via ICQ to bigme Send a message via MSN to bigme
Thumbs Up

The best way to take old window tint off is to "sweat it" off. Get your hands on any steamer and steam the at one corner and work your way down. If you happen to leave some glue on the glass use a double sided dish sponge the one with the scrubber on one side. Wet the class with soap and water mix, you do not need a lot of soap. Use the scrubber side lightly on the glass and it will remove the glue. Do not apply a lot of pressure as you will scratch you window. This will remove the glue and not harm your rear defroster at all. This is how I would do it when I was in the window tinting business.
bigme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
mimaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL
No problem. I actually just tinted mine myself this weekend with some pre-cut Ebay tint (15% Luminar) Since I bought the car used and it was tinted before, when the dealer pulled the old tint off for recon (all but the rear, haha), some of the old tint glue was left over in between the black dots on all the side windows. GooGone + an old toothbrush took it off VERY easily.

Just try not to scrape any of the defroster lines with a razor/scraper and you should be just fine.
GooGone and an old toothbrush worked very well! thanks!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:04 PM   #11
TC323i
Sick///Bird

My Ride: 323i
use a blow dryer to get it off once you have started pulling it. heating it up makes it come off very easily.
TC323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:39 AM   #12
RSL

Quote:
GooGone and an old toothbrush worked very well! thanks!
No problem Lots of other good suggestions in this thread
Old 12-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #13
PS323CI

My Ride: 2000 323CI
Garbage bag and 409 but, i prefer steamer. Thats what we use at my shop

AIM:PATSE46
PS323CI is offline   Reply With Quote