E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

View Poll Results: Please vote for your favorite auto-x suspension.
H&R Sport/Bilstein (Turner Motorsport) 11 42.31%
SACHS Suspension Kit (UUC) 5 19.23%
H-Sport TVS springs & sways (no shocks/struts) 1 3.85%
Vogtland/Koni adjustable 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
gbn

My Ride: 2002 325i
Suspensions for autocrossing

I was getting an oil change Friday and my mechanic said that I have a broken transmission mount and a broken rear spring.

I've narrowed the trans mounts to either UUC or Rouge Engineering. Anyone with experience with either?

I'm still trying to figure out what to get for the springs, but here are my current candidates:
- UUC tuned spring kit (with stock shocks)
- SACHS tuned suspension kit
- H&R Sports/Bilstein Kit
- H-Sport TVS kit (springs & sways, no shocks)
- Vogtland springs (they may have an KONI adjustable kit with these)

Anyone with experience with the H-Sports and matching shocks/struts?
Anyone know if the SACHS kit has progressive springs?

My car is a daily driver that I autocross with BMWCCA. I want to dial out understeer (plows like a pig). Also, any one have problems due to spring/suspension upgrades (subframe tear out, cracked shock tower mounts, etc.).

Thanks. Looking forward to your opinions. I'll keep you posted on my research and my ultimate decision.
gbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:24 AM   #2
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Personally I dont think any of the above are agressive enough for my liking/use.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
gbn

You just bought GC coilovers! You are a track junky and I understand your choice. I'm looking to spend about 1/2 what you did.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
Rongeur
DON'T F^CK WITH ME

My Ride: IS INFERIOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbn
You just bought GC coilovers! You are a track junky and I understand your choice. I'm looking to spend about 1/2 what you did.

Dude, it's all about preference. What's your budget?

Rongeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbn
Old 12-06-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
gbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mack
Dude, it's all about preference. What's your budget?
Definitely under a grand... for now.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #7
leej323

My Ride: '00 323i
I had H&R springs for a few months, then upgraded to coilovers. If coilovers aren't an option, I would go w/ a custom matched spring and shock set. Those are probably your best bet. You want to stay away from just changing springs.
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #8
gbn

Web links for products

Quote:
Originally Posted by leej323
I had H&R springs for a few months, then upgraded to coilovers. If coilovers aren't an option, I would go w/ a custom matched spring and shock set. Those are probably your best bet. You want to stay away from just changing springs.
I was thinking the same thing. I contacted H-Sport and they stated that they designed the springs with the stock shocks. Don't know if I want to replace shocks with the OEM however. I would'nt mind something more aggressive.

Here are a few links to the manufacturers in my poll to help with any decisions.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...6&subcat_id=69
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/
http://www.h-sport.com/cgi-bin/EDCst...alogno=80825-1
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=Avnd5s1.qG...43/CA=188/PA=7
Old 12-20-2005, 10:58 AM   #9
jun14scr
booo for body roll.

My Ride: 2009 335i.
i didn't really like any of the combinations you listed either... but if i had to pick one i'd pick the UUC stuff. personally i thought the cupkit handled very well on an auto-x course for a very little amount of money. i suppose you are just going to run DSP. cupkit + camber adjustments from gc = 1k?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #10
robweenerpi

My Ride: GMC Seirra(Tow Rig)
If you are on that much of a budget, stock class is probably your best bet.
robweenerpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
gbn

H&R Cup Kit

I purchased the H&R cup kit. I decided to go with an engineered package. I have had it installed for a few days and took an extended trip with it. The ride is definitely firmer than stock and gives a lot more road feel. The ride is not harsh and I didn't feel any more fatigue on my trip than I did with the stock suspension. Body roll is nearly non-existant especially when cornering hard. The car tends to slide instead of pitch or roll. I'm getting an alignment on Tuesday so I'll post some information when I'm done with that. Other than a minor squeek from the rear driver side when I get in or out I'm very happy. The lowering is noticeable, but still subtle. Only a fanatic would probably be able to tell without seeing 2 cars side by side. I also replaced the stock shock tower mount with a myle heavy duty ones with the Z4 reinforcement bracket. Rogue enigeering transmission (rubber) tranny mounts are still being delivered (one of mine failed).

Any one have ideas why the rear spring/shock might squeek?

Those looking for a nice smooth ride I would highly recommend you look elsewhere.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #12
vaio76109

Are you shure it's the spring and not the parking brake?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
Bim Growl
Banned

My Ride: E86 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robweenerpi
If you are on that much of a budget, stock class is probably your best bet.
In my opinion, with Solo II, you've got to either focus on being the best in stock class, or go all out, spend thousands, and place yourself on the pedestal. The first option obviously, is much much more desirable.

I'd just get a set of adjustable sways, run your season like that, and then get some coilovers, bushings, RSM's, etc... If you want to move up in class and think you can be competitive.

remember the best mod. is making yourself a better driver. If you practice enough, you'll get better, and you'll need that money for new tires...

Good Luck.
Bim Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #14
gbn

Update

I do not compete in SCCA. I competing in the BMWCCA local chapter, so the rules regarding stock classes are a bit different. Different models have varying starting points with mods adding points. The number of points you have determines your class. It's not the big leagues like Solo II, but it's fun and I enjoy it. I still get to work on the driver part.

For an unrelated reason my car ended up at the dealership for warranty work. They said that the rear control arm was bent and was causing the squeek. They covered under warranty and realigned the car, which was a mixed blessing since I paid for an alignment the previous day! I think the independent that I went to did a better alignment job than the dealer (the number tolerances were much closer at each wheel, but he did miss the bent control arm?!).

I've still got the winter tires on so I really won't know how the car really handles until warmer weather.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #15
IDLOOK2

My Ride: 00' 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to IDLOOK2
what class are you in now? Im in B class.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #16
wildpanda86

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Cupkit + H&R sways set to soft up front and middle in back... I also just replaced my worn front control arm bushings to 66mm ones and changed my rear shock mounts to JT designs aluminum ones fro TMS & got M3 strut bar.

The car just sticks to the road like glue now!!! Doesn't seem to have any understeer and the car slides nicely through corners & stays nice and flat.

I still have to install my Turnermotorsport rear control arm limiter kit.

I can't wait to see how this setup does on the track.
wildpanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:44 AM   #17
E28Fiend
Track it

My Ride: '06 M3
Send a message via AIM to E28Fiend
How many miles are on your car..?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #18
gbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDLOOK2
what class are you in now? Im in B class.
I was in B class last year. I'm the autocross chair this year and there will be some adjustments to the classifications. Depending on your car and mods you could be in C class this year.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #19
gbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by E28Fiend
How many miles are on your car..?
I have over 60,000 miles. It's only a 2002 and I drive about 18-20k miles per year. I've already broke a tranny mount (still waiting for parts, should be getting the Rogue Engineering mounts with my next oil change). The RSM wears out in the 60k to 100k range from what I've been hearing. With the cup kit and the new RSM's I couldn't tell if my old ones were worn or not. The OEM shocks weren't leaking and seemed to be still working ok.

So far I'm very happy with the upgrade. We'll see how autocrossing goes this year!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #20
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbn
I have over 60,000 miles. The OEM shocks weren't leaking and seemed to be still working ok.
Supposedly the stock shocks are only good for about 60k miles.