E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
Overboost

My Ride: 2002 325i
E46 Data Acquisition

We now have a data logger and dash for the 2002+ E46 that is plug-n-play directly into the CAN bus. Speed, RPM, temps, TPS, brake status, etc. are all brought over using the BMW CAN bus. This makes for an easy 4 wire connection (12V, GND, CAN+, CAN-) to the car and will provide alarms, shift lights, gauge values and laptimes with an optional 8 or 16 megabytes of logging for track mapping, graphs, overlays, min and max values, etc. through user-friendly windows software. The AIM MXL starts at US $999.00. This is a must have Christmas gift for track enthusiasts and hard core racers.

Last edited by Overboost; 12-06-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
Will ZCPM3

My Ride: ///M3
so this would not work on a 2000 323ci? reading aim sports website they list the bosch ms4, i think the 323ci has an ms42.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Overboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will ZCPM3
so this would not work on a 2000 323ci? reading aim sports website they list the bosch ms4, i think the 323ci has an ms42.
Hi Will,
The BMW CAN bus started in 2002 in the OEM cars. The MS in the Bosch protocols are for Bosch MotorSport. Completely different. They started in 2000 with the MS3.1 for the Porsche 996 GT3R. The MS4.0 was released from Bosch last year. You can run the unit as a stand-alone version but will require duplication of sensors and wiring. The CAN data stream is so much easier.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #4
emthree

My Ride: E46 / E60 M5
Send a message via MSN to emthree
Nice.. LINK?
emthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Overboost

Hi M3,
http://www.aim-sportline.com/AUTO/mxl.htm
Follow the pages to the auto products/MXL.

Also, the MCL TG is a great in-car laptimer device that also provides some great features for those with a smaller budget. US $249.00

http://www.aim-sportline.com/AUTO/lighttg.htm

IR lap receiver and transmitter
128x64 pixels green graphic display
+/- 45 visual inspection
memory: 128 kb
huge 2000 lap storage capability
built in database for lap management
histo visualization of laps and runs
built in clock and calendar
auto-power off after 20 minutes inactivity
capability of 50 track names storage
possibility to enter driver's name
internal power (batteries included)
Old 12-06-2005, 10:09 PM   #6
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

My Ride: B3 epsilon
I think 2001 has CANbus already. I am pretty sure of that cos I hacked some of the sensors' signals.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
Overboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
I think 2001 has CANbus already. I am pretty sure of that cos I hacked some of the sensors' signals.
I could stand corrected but if you shared the signals for voltage or resistance, then it would be analog, not CAN. Can someone at BMW clarify this?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:12 PM   #8
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

When I say "hacked", I don't mean spliced. So it's not analog signals. I know what CANBus is. CANBus carries identifier codes and each code represents a signal from RPM, TD etc, for example. I have done some major work in building a monitoring, data acqusition control system for my car. Btw, CANBus has been around in BMWs as early as MY1995 E38s.

So this AIM system you have...which track car are you installing in? Are you using multiple beacons for sector timings?

Supercharged E46 M54B25.
Track blog.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:04 AM   #9
Overboost

Quote:
When I say "hacked", I don't mean spliced. So it's not analog signals. I know what CANBus is. CANBus carries identifier codes and each code represents a signal from RPM, TD etc, for example. I have done some major work in building a monitoring, data acqusition control system for my car. Btw, CANBus has been around in BMWs as early as MY1995 E38s.

So this AIM system you have...which track car are you installing in? Are you using multiple beacons for sector timings?
You can indeed put out split beacons, or you can divide the track by simple distance with software providing sector times, theoretical and best rolling laps. Perhaps you could answer Will's question of his 2000 E46 compatibility?
I would like to try his model if you think it has the CAN protocols.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:52 AM   #10
SLMS
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
now if only it had GPS to controll the throttle on the track. J/K this isnt CART
SLMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #11
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost
You can indeed put out split beacons, or you can divide the track by simple distance with software providing sector times, theoretical and best rolling laps.
I am in fact interested in sector timing/speed/g-load via GPS. I think there are maybe 2 or 3 companies in the world that offer a system like that. Compels me to work on something for myself instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost
Perhaps you could answer Will's question of his 2000 E46 compatibility? I would like to try his model if you think it has the CAN protocols.
Missed that post. Well if you're selling this system, shouldn't you have more info than I do? Bosch MS4 has nothing to do with Siemens MS series DME. CANBus protocol is developed by Intel and Bosch in the late 80s which I am sure you know that already.

Supercharged E46 M54B25.
Track blog.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
Will ZCPM3

ive heard alot of good things about the traqmate gps system. it is able to do segments to.

http://www.traqmate.com/
Old 12-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #13
Overboost

Quote:
I am in fact interested in sector timing/speed/g-load via GPS. I think there are maybe 2 or 3 companies in the world that offer a system like that. Compels me to work on something for myself instead.

gload vis GPS? Hmmm... Don't think that applies... Laptime, speed and track map for sure. Make sure you have a decent GPS of at least 5 Hz or better...

Quote:
Missed that post. Well if you're selling this system, shouldn't you have more info than I do? Bosch MS4 has nothing to do with Siemens MS series DME. CANBus protocol is developed by Intel and Bosch in the late 80s which I am sure you know that already.
Sorry paddleshift, I am a track support rep and race engineer, not an electronics engineer. The BMW OEM protocols are something the company is getting into lately as the need for data acquisition has finally come down to the level of Club racing. Beleive me, I have worked with Tom Milner and PTG with Hans Stuck, Bill Auberlin and Boris Said as far back as 2000. Those cars run MoTeC and have a completely different set of protocols. Maybe I'm reading you wrong but are you trying to pull me in for a fight? I'm not here for anything other than helping our members.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #14
Will ZCPM3

so no answers to whether my car would have the CANBus protocol? i wish i was at home, its probably in the bentley manual
Old 12-07-2005, 07:27 PM   #15
Overboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will ZCPM3
so no answers to whether my car would have the CANBus protocol? i wish i was at home, its probably in the bentley manual
Hi Will, I will call Turner Motorsports tomorrow as I know a few of the guys over there and will see if I can get you an answer. I can also send you out a system to hook up and try as well.

The Traqmate system you mentioned has been getting some good reviews out there but is limited to GPS inputs and a few inputs and certainly not CAN protocols. We are working on a GPS solution as well but the biggest issue right now is accuracy. Everytime you pass under a bridge or lose the satellite signal the GPS must reinitiate a satellite lock. The g sensor must take over until this can be acheived. This allows for an accuracy error of up to several feet or more. This can be a lot when judging your apex position. Any GPS system can provide a track map, speed, distance, and laptime but the common GPS receiver works at only 1 Hz. Again, an error... If you are going 150 MPH, that's 220 ft/sec. At 1 Hz or (once per sec), I think you see what I'm talking about. The advantages of GPS can great for tracking different racing lines, but until the accuracy issues are solved, I would use the standard beacon, wheel speed and lateral g force that most systems have already.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 AM   #16
///M3Matt
BMWCCA Club Racer

My Ride: Smurf mobiles
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Matt
Just wanted to say this is a great product....we run them in all 3 of our racecars