E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #1
jEEliX

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to jEEliX
Where can I find the surface mount LEDS that are used in the BMW cluster?!

Hey, Ive made a few posts in this forum, and talked to a lot of people about the problem I have. When I bought the car the check engine light was busted out of the cluster by the damn retards at the shop they took it too just so they could sell me the car. All it had was a faulty spark plug wire which I had fixed. Anyways I have to get it working in order to pass emissions, I already failed once because of it. It is obviously a surface mount LED and I just want to make sure I get what I need. Tonight I ordered one that I am worried may be too big, but it is very hard to tell. Here is the link to it, I had to buy 250 of them!!

http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/smd-plcc/dstr0009.pdf

I think that no matter what I can cut the barrier around where it mounts, but then the problem will be actualy sautering it to the board... I hope it works out for me, or Im screwed. Anyone know if it would be possible to take the window washer fluid one out and re use it in place of the CEL if they dont fit? I hope that actual size comparison is a crock of ish.

All I want to know is how to detatch the electrical board from the plastic! I dont want to break anything pulling the hell out of the needles either.

Pictures:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7783/clusterf3yd.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3286/cluster2om.jpg

Last edited by jEEliX; 12-06-2005 at 11:08 PM.
jEEliX is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
So manu electronic items these days have SMD LEDs in them. If you still need to find one that fits, try old cell phones, VCR front panels, lighted remote controls, etc etc.

As for removing them, there are a few different methods. You need a very fine tipped soldering iron set at around 600 to 700F, and you need to get one end loosethen try to get the other side quickly to knock the component off the board. Be careful not to overheat it though.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
travisbickle

My Ride: '03 Jet Black M3
Hmm, what a sucky predicament. The depths that some will sink to in order to pull the wool over someone's eyes is amazing.

Anyway, what color is the LED? Regardless, I don't think I'd try to stick a surface mount LED back on there. There looks to be enough room in that cavity to install a standard round can-type 5mm LED with leads. You could try to take out the busted LED or simply bridge the old LED with leads of the new, making sure you have your polarity correct.

Check out Radio Shack. They've got assorted colors for about three bucks each. Sell the "lifetime" supply you bought on eBay. :p
'03.5 M3|Jet Black|Cinnamon|Nav|HK Removal|BBS LM 19s|TCK D/A Coilovers 400F/500R|TCK Camber Plates|TCK Rear LCAs|Powerflex RTABs|TMS Subframe Reinforcement|Borla Cat Back|AA Stage 1 Gen 2 SC|Mach V Motorsports TLC
'05 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad 4X4|5.4L Hemi [The wife's ride]
travisbickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
jEEliX

LOL I didnt buy them on ebay, I bought them from LED tronics! Anyways I have some exciting pictures to upload soon!

BTW: LED color doesnt matter regardless, but I would think the CEL would be red correct? I just want to get it working, and dont care if it lights up pink lol.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
jEEliX

Here they are.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
jEEliX

Closeup of the broken one

Old 12-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
travisbickle

My Ride: '03 Jet Black M3
No, I meant SELL that assload of LEDs you bought on eBay...

Anyway, that doesn't look so bad. You should be able to get that off using a fine pencil tipped soldering iron and a solder sucker. You'll have to be really carefull not to lift the pad off the PCB. Another way you might be able to remove the bad SMD is to use one of those crackpipe torches used to glaze the top of creme brule. Soldering the new one on should be a piece of cake.

Man, wtf were those morons thinking? As if the check engine light doesn't normally POST when you firt turn on the ignition...
'03.5 M3|Jet Black|Cinnamon|Nav|HK Removal|BBS LM 19s|TCK D/A Coilovers 400F/500R|TCK Camber Plates|TCK Rear LCAs|Powerflex RTABs|TMS Subframe Reinforcement|Borla Cat Back|AA Stage 1 Gen 2 SC|Mach V Motorsports TLC
'05 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad 4X4|5.4L Hemi [The wife's ride]
travisbickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #8
jEEliX

Ohhhh ok, my bad, thats a good idea BTW!

LOL no kidding, I noticed it right when I recieved the car. But by then it was too late.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #9
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jEEliX
Ohhhh ok, my bad, thats a good idea BTW!

LOL no kidding, I noticed it right when I recieved the car. But by then it was too late.
No torches! My company assembles printed circuit boards. just take a very fine tip soldering iron and get a pair of tweezers...Hit it with the soldering iron and lift with tweezers. Make sure you have a magnifying glass and make sure you don't let the solder splash anywhere. One little splash and you could have a short and not know where to look. Cover the rest of the printed circuit board with paper and masking tape in any area which you aren't working on. Also, work on this in a static free enviroment, stay away from carpets!

You can look at www.digikey.com for parts. Your best bet would have been to turn the ignigtion on and with a meter measure the voltage at the LED to determine what you need. Measure the size of that LED with calipers if you have one.

Look here for LEDS
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T053/SectO.pdf