E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements

Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements
Get the latest news and announcements from the site sponsors! To ask a question please use the 'Ask a Sponsor' forum.
Click here to view all the site sponsors and see what they are offering!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #421
MITE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,982
My Ride: 323i
I'm curious because there's no reason for a product like this to be dragged on for almost a year...they gotta be doing something productive over there right?

I think the hardwork part is debatable...BMW/OEMs came up with the initial design...Eagle Eyes did a lousy job copying it...sure there were some minor adjustments but nothing I would consider extremely hard considering Eagle Eyes' current product portfolio...they should be pros at this...
MITE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #422
Custom3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,445
My Ride: HellRot 330CI
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #423
Josh@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
Josh@AutoWerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 327
My Ride: E46 328ci
Send a message via ICQ to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via AIM to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via MSN to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via Yahoo to Josh@AutoWerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITE46
I'm curious because there's no reason for a product like this to be dragged on for almost a year...they gotta be doing something productive over there right?

I think the hardwork part is debatable...BMW/OEMs came up with the initial design...Eagle Eyes did a lousy job copying it...sure there were some minor adjustments but nothing I would consider extremely hard considering Eagle Eyes' current product portfolio...they should be pros at this...
Well, I can't really speak for Eagle Eyes on specifics. That is not my place - however I do believe a lot more goes into designing a product like this than you might imagine. I have met the project leader and much of the engineering team for this product and they are very dedicated and capable people (they also drink a lot of beer, but that is another story).

Overwhelmingly, the comments we have received about the E46 LEDs have been positive - people like this look which is evidenced by the size of this thread and the number of people on the waiting list to receive this product. So in that respect I think Eagle Eyes did a pretty good job. In fact you are the first person I have heard who has referred to their design as lousy, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

We believe in this product and are very excited about getting this in our customer's hands.
Josh@AutoWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #424
mteezy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: california
Posts: 14
My Ride: black 2004 330i ZHP
so when do we get our mits on them? any new details regarding when the shipments will occur?
mteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #425
BimmaBwoy
Registered User
 
BimmaBwoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MD,PA,DE,NJ,NY depends on the day
Posts: 2,151
My Ride: 2003 325i
Send a message via AIM to BimmaBwoy
^^lol... I think they are still waiting on the April 15th shipping date. Nothing has been released that would suggest anything different.
__________________
-If you look up your nothing close to the rich but if you look down, your way better off than the poor- Yellowmann


Get your Calendar/Poster here:http://stores.lulu.com/bimmercalendars
Release thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7663111
BimmaBwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:25 AM   #426
SaN NizZLe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,024
My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmaBwoy
^^lol... I think they are still waiting on the April 15th shipping date. Nothing has been released that would suggest anything different.
SaN NizZLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #427
minsoox1983
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 219
My Ride: ///
subscribed,,, LED tail for coupe,,
__________________
_____________________________________\\\\\\\


__________\\\\\\\
minsoox1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #428
chandz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Somewhere Only We Know
Posts: 119
My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITE46
I'm curious because there's no reason for a product like this to be dragged on for almost a year...they gotta be doing something productive over there right?

I think the hardwork part is debatable...BMW/OEMs came up with the initial design...Eagle Eyes did a lousy job copying it...sure there were some minor adjustments but nothing I would consider extremely hard considering Eagle Eyes' current product portfolio...they should be pros at this...
I think what MITE46 meant by lousy is the missing LEDs and uneven curvature. They're copying the original design from BMW with a little modification here and there. Actually it's quite common in China where people do reverse engineering on certain items. I know it's illegal in US, but not in some parts in the world.

Yes, there are some people who are waiting for this LED because this one looks like OEM the most. Now here's the key word, OEM. Poeple are willing to wait because it looks OEM. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer (of course you guys know that), which in this case is BMW. Hence, it's BMW original design not Eagle Eyes.

There are also some people who wish they'd fixed the missing LEDs. DEPO's LED doesn't have any, why does Eagle Eyes' have some?

Despite all of that, Eagle Eyes has made something, which in my opinion, the most preferrable E46 tail light.

Now, I just wish they came up with "perfected" version next. *cross fingers*
chandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #429
chandz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Somewhere Only We Know
Posts: 119
My Ride: E46 Sedan
So, how's news? April 15th is in a week. There should be at least a little news.
chandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #430
Josh@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
Josh@AutoWerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 327
My Ride: E46 328ci
Send a message via ICQ to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via AIM to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via MSN to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via Yahoo to Josh@AutoWerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandz
I think what MITE46 meant by lousy is the missing LEDs and uneven curvature. They're copying the original design from BMW with a little modification here and there. Actually it's quite common in China where people do reverse engineering on certain items. I know it's illegal in US, but not in some parts in the world.

Yes, there are some people who are waiting for this LED because this one looks like OEM the most. Now here's the key word, OEM. Poeple are willing to wait because it looks OEM. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer (of course you guys know that), which in this case is BMW. Hence, it's BMW original design not Eagle Eyes.

There are also some people who wish they'd fixed the missing LEDs. DEPO's LED doesn't have any, why does Eagle Eyes' have some?

Despite all of that, Eagle Eyes has made something, which in my opinion, the most preferrable E46 tail light.

Now, I just wish they came up with "perfected" version next. *cross fingers*

Chandz, you make some good points and I didn't mean to sound defensive in my post to MITE46.

I think Eagle Eyes was obviously going after the look of the OE Coupe LED lights. However, there are no LEDs for sedans so they had to make their own design decisions. Due to the different dimension, you cannot achieve the same even curvature you see in the coupe version and make a DOT compliant assembly.

As far as the missing LED, I cannot defend that since they made the decision. I don't find it very noticeable in the real world when they are mounted on the car, but others may disagree.

I think the design is very good but not a perfect match for OE. However, there a whole host of aftermarket items that are derived from OE that are not even trying to be perfect matches. Examples include demon eyes, front splitters, rear wings, strut bars, bumper upgrades, etc. Each one of these items is derived form OE, but has its own style and points of differentiation. It doesn't make any of these products bad. I see the LEDs the same way.

Also, sorry I don't have any updates right now. We are all at Bimmerfest and were up to 4:30am last night getting the show car ready. Santa Barbara is thik with some seriously nice Bimmers! The AutoWerks cars and our booth look awesome. Hope to see a bunch of you here!
Josh@AutoWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:38 AM   #431
03 Dinan 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 984
My Ride: VW GTI
do these blink amber or can we DIY to blink white?
__________________
03 Dinan 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #432
BimmaBwoy
Registered User
 
BimmaBwoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MD,PA,DE,NJ,NY depends on the day
Posts: 2,151
My Ride: 2003 325i
Send a message via AIM to BimmaBwoy
I've asked the same question and the answer told to me was it's amber and white is illegal. Can we DIY to make them blink white (who knows) b/c no one ever answered that part of my question.
__________________
-If you look up your nothing close to the rich but if you look down, your way better off than the poor- Yellowmann


Get your Calendar/Poster here:http://stores.lulu.com/bimmercalendars
Release thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7663111
BimmaBwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #433
Custom3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,445
My Ride: HellRot 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 Dinan 3
do these blink amber or can we DIY to blink white?
To make it white instead of amber you would have to manually remove each led light and replace them with a white led light...these led lights arent like regular bulbs that you can pop out and replace...there actually welded into a circuit board....if there would ever be a DIY it wouldnt be a easy task...from a 1 - 10 scale ...10 being the hardest....that would probably be a 9
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #434
GBond007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 21
My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3
To make it white instead of amber you would have to manually remove each led light and replace them with a white led light...these led lights arent like regular bulbs that you can pop out and replace...there actually welded into a circuit board....if there would ever be a DIY it wouldnt be a easy task...from a 1 - 10 scale ...10 being the hardest....that would probably be a 9

I am not being a "know-it-all" or a dick, I just want the right information to be displayed. He is correct but the LED's are not "welded" they are souldered to a circuit board but you have to have a certain level of resistance that differs for each LED. This is accomplished by having a specific resistor in the circuit for each LED.

Again, I don't want anyone to think I am some anal a**hole (no pun intended) but I just didn't want anyone to think they would actually need to weld something in that project.

It wouldn't be too difficult of a project if you had someone with a slight background in basic electronics and schematics. That is if you already had a pair of these and were going to simply replace the amber LED's with white ones. To build something from the ground up would be a different story and would probably take you a year and you would more than likely develop a design missing an LED. Plus getting your single pair of lights OEM compliant would take forever and you would probably have to push back the release date of your lights several times.

Just messing about. Bad joke....
GBond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #435
minsoox1983
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 219
My Ride: ///
Hey Autowerks,,

when wil coupe LED tail be available ? (i'm talking about the one with no issue)

let me know,
thanks,




Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@AutoWerks
Chandz, you make some good points and I didn't mean to sound defensive in my post to MITE46.

I think Eagle Eyes was obviously going after the look of the OE Coupe LED lights. However, there are no LEDs for sedans so they had to make their own design decisions. Due to the different dimension, you cannot achieve the same even curvature you see in the coupe version and make a DOT compliant assembly.

As far as the missing LED, I cannot defend that since they made the decision. I don't find it very noticeable in the real world when they are mounted on the car, but others may disagree.

I think the design is very good but not a perfect match for OE. However, there a whole host of aftermarket items that are derived from OE that are not even trying to be perfect matches. Examples include demon eyes, front splitters, rear wings, strut bars, bumper upgrades, etc. Each one of these items is derived form OE, but has its own style and points of differentiation. It doesn't make any of these products bad. I see the LEDs the same way.

Also, sorry I don't have any updates right now. We are all at Bimmerfest and were up to 4:30am last night getting the show car ready. Santa Barbara is thik with some seriously nice Bimmers! The AutoWerks cars and our booth look awesome. Hope to see a bunch of you here!
__________________
_____________________________________\\\\\\\


__________\\\\\\\
minsoox1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #436
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0
 
dirsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,378
My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBond007
I am not being a "know-it-all" or a dick, I just want the right information to be displayed. He is correct but the LED's are not "welded" they are souldered to a circuit board but you have to have a certain level of resistance that differs for each LED. This is accomplished by having a specific resistor in the circuit for each LED.

Again, I don't want anyone to think I am some anal a**hole (no pun intended) but I just didn't want anyone to think they would actually need to weld something in that project.

It wouldn't be too difficult of a project if you had someone with a slight background in basic electronics and schematics. That is if you already had a pair of these and were going to simply replace the amber LED's with white ones. To build something from the ground up would be a different story and would probably take you a year and you would more than likely develop a design missing an LED. Plus getting your single pair of lights OEM compliant would take forever and you would probably have to push back the release date of your lights several times.

Just messing about. Bad joke....

it's "SOLDERED" mr know-it-all
__________________

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #437
GBond007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 21
My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirsh
it's "SOLDERED" mr know-it-all
HAHA....see, proves I am not trying to be a Mr. Know-it-all.

That's embarrassing...
GBond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #438
Custom3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,445
My Ride: HellRot 330CI
i didnt know the proper word was soldered so welded on was the next best thing...lol...thanks for the correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBond007
I am not being a "know-it-all" or a dick, I just want the right information to be displayed. He is correct but the LED's are not "welded" they are souldered to a circuit board but you have to have a certain level of resistance that differs for each LED. This is accomplished by having a specific resistor in the circuit for each LED.

Again, I don't want anyone to think I am some anal a**hole (no pun intended) but I just didn't want anyone to think they would actually need to weld something in that project.

It wouldn't be too difficult of a project if you had someone with a slight background in basic electronics and schematics. That is if you already had a pair of these and were going to simply replace the amber LED's with white ones. To build something from the ground up would be a different story and would probably take you a year and you would more than likely develop a design missing an LED. Plus getting your single pair of lights OEM compliant would take forever and you would probably have to push back the release date of your lights several times.

Just messing about. Bad joke....
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #439
thesethoughtsru
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,688
My Ride: is a fake CSL
Send a message via AIM to thesethoughtsru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3
To make it white instead of amber you would have to manually remove each led light and replace them with a white led light...these led lights arent like regular bulbs that you can pop out and replace...there actually welded into a circuit board....if there would ever be a DIY it wouldnt be a easy task...from a 1 - 10 scale ...10 being the hardest....that would probably be a 9
there IS A DIY ON THIS. search, some people have taken their coupe OEM LED tails and made the blinker red instead of yellow. do a search, you can just substitite their red LEDs with white ones.
__________________

Silver Grey on Recaros ///M3 - VCSL, CF Grills, SS Race, KW V2, Alcantara Int, Illum Door Sills
thesethoughtsru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #440
Josh@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
Josh@AutoWerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 327
My Ride: E46 328ci
Send a message via ICQ to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via AIM to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via MSN to Josh@AutoWerks Send a message via Yahoo to Josh@AutoWerks
You guys are cracking me up.

1. They blink yellow. White wouldn't be legal in the US.

2. They are soldered in (no welds), so replacing them is somewhat of a pain, but I am sure someone will do it.

3. As far as we know, April 15th is still the magic date.
Josh@AutoWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use