E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #21
rcurley55

My Ride: 2001 IR M3 Coupe
Get a speaker that works better off axis - you won't need the mids pointed at you that directly - therefore you can get smaller kicks.

Better yet, get some domes from dls or dynaudio - then you can build tiny kicks like i did. I still miss that setup a little bit. Then just put mids in the doors.

www.sounddomain.com/id/sq_e46_m3 - check out what I did...let me know if you are interested in that setup (the front stage) - I'm going to be selling it soon.

rcurley55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #22
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Or some 4" mids, they should fit in a MT car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurley55
Better yet, get some domes from dls or dynaudio - then you can build tiny kicks like i did. I still miss that setup a little bit. Then just put mids in the doors.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #23
3onDubs

My Ride: no
Hole Saw

How big of a hole in the door do you have to cut for a 6.5" speaker? I'm thinking that the hole itself will have to be slightly smaller than 6.5", so that the speaker could mount to it. The reason I ask is because I found a 6" hole saw that would make the job much easier and I was going to buy it, but then I started thinking about the MDF ring as well. Do you know how big the diameters should be of the door hole, mdf inner hole, and mdf ring itself?

The hole saw I found:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide14-01.html
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:35 PM   #24
Mtriple

My Ride: 1989 325is TCD s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs
How big of a hole in the door do you have to cut for a 6.5" speaker? I'm thinking that the hole itself will have to be slightly smaller than 6.5", so that the speaker could mount to it. The reason I ask is because I found a 6" hole saw that would make the job much easier and I was going to buy it, but then I started thinking about the MDF ring as well. Do you know how big the diameters should be of the door hole, mdf inner hole, and mdf ring itself?

The hole saw I found:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide14-01.html
In my experience, any hole saw over 3 inches can get pretty sketchy to work with on metal. You would be bettoer off to get yourself an airsaw or go with a smaller hole saw and get yourself a nice pair of snips and go at it.
Mtriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #25
rcurley55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Or some 4" mids, they should fit in a MT car.
you can fit something larger then that in those kicks as well - but it's getting airspace for them that is the problem!!

I used a dremel to cut my doors - took a while but it worked....

Old 12-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #26
3onDubs

Does anyone know the dimensions (i.e. door hole, mdf ring)?

Also...this should def. be a sticky...
Old 12-19-2005, 05:48 PM   #27
rcurley55

every speaker and installation is custom - it's not a cookie cutter experience - I'd say the hole in the door should be at least 1/2 the diameter of the driver's diameter - I'd want to remove as much material as I could without weakening the mount for the power window track or teh area where I was mounting the driver

Old 12-19-2005, 08:26 PM   #28
bigjae1976

There is not a standard formula, but here is a common one.

Generally speaking, the rings inner diameter is 5-5/8" and the outer diameter is 6-3/4" given that the speaker is a standard 6.5" speaker. You'll need to build the rings up about 2".
Old 12-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #29
3onDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
There is not a standard formula, but here is a common one.

Generally speaking, the rings inner diameter is 5-5/8" and the outer diameter is 6-3/4" given that the speaker is a standard 6.5" speaker. You'll need to build the rings up about 2".

Thanks bigjae...I was doing some searching as well and found this tutorial on how to create an mdf ring for any application (from tweeters to subs):

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/mdf/
Old 12-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #30
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Ideally, the hole(s) total area should be same as cone area, but make it as big as you can. As curley and bigjae said, ring size depends on the speaker itself. Inside diameter is dictated by speaker size, outside diameter is dictated by door. I normally make the rings about 1/2" to 3/4" thick.

...also, if you are just doing a couple rings (i.e. sedan installation), it is probably easy to just use a rotozip with the circle cutter attachment, or jigsaw. If you need to do several rings (i.e. coupe), then it is so much easier to use a router. Using a router and circle jig (available at selectproducts.com, or parts-express.com), I make a ring to be used as a template. I then just "copy" the ring as many times as I need by simply using a router table and flush trim bit. A real time saver if you do this on a regular basis, or have to make a bunch of rings. You also get a perfect ring every time. For putting rings together, I use wood glue and brad nails. The nails hold it together until the glue dries off. I then drill about 4 holes and use long drywall (or finish) screws mount the ring "enclosure" to the door. After Dynamatting and wiring, then the speaker can be mounted. For people that are interested in learning how to do this knid of stuff, I would recommend buying the router video from select products.

Last edited by ca1242; 12-20-2005 at 01:41 PM.
ca1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:10 PM   #31
3onDubs

What do you think about using this piece to cut the mdf rings:

http://www.holepro.com/xcart4017/xca...3&cat=1&page=1

It looks like the easiest and most accurate way to me, but I've never used one before...
Old 12-20-2005, 06:12 PM   #32
rcurley55

I can tell you right now that is not going to work at all....

Old 12-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #33
3onDubs

Quote:
I can tell you right now that is not going to work at all....
Why not? Is it too weak? Will it not make a smooth cut? Sorry if its an obvious answer, but i havn't really worked with wood cutting that much...
Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 PM   #34
rcurley55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs
Why not? Is it too weak? Will it not make a smooth cut? Sorry if its an obvious answer, but i havn't really worked with wood cutting that much...
it's obvious to a wood worker - sorry for making an assumption - my bad We all learn somewhere, I learned by using a similar tool.

THe reason why it won't work is a few fold - first, if you look at the tips of the bits, they are beveled - that means that if you are cutting a hole, you are going to be making a "v" shaped cut - that's going to force you to cut a ton of material and it won't make your cut the right size.

Second, the two cutters will hvae to be perfectly set to make the right sized hole

Third, cutting through 3/4" MDF with that would take ages - the cutting tool is just moving too damn slow.

Lastly, if you don't get that thing going in perfectly perpendicular, it's going to be a mess.

You want the cheapest, correct way to do this - get one of those roto zip thingys and make your cuts in steps. Your next cheapest will be a jigsaw and a steady hand. Lastly a router with the appropriate guides.

That tool is for cutting very thin pieces of material and will probably only work for cutting id's, not od's. On top of that, it's best suited for use in a drill press....hope that helps

Old 12-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #35
bikergeek

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242
That's pretty slick. Can you tell me more about how you did the V1 remote display? I have a V1 also and the previous owner of my new-to-me 330Ci did me the favor of putting a hardwire connection in for his V1 up near the top of the windscreen.
bikergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 PM   #36
bigjae1976

If you have a router, this tool makes cutting perfect circles super easy. With this and my Porter Cable router, circles are no problem.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=365-260
Old 12-20-2005, 11:27 PM   #37
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!

My Ride: is outside
nice work. i may move my speakers to the door from the panel eventually perhaps it will get me higher scores at competitions

Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:35 PM   #38
rcurley55

ehhh, stay where you are lowell - from what I understand your car is sounding just fine buddy.....

Old 12-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #39
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!

My Ride: is outside
Quote:
ehhh, stay where you are lowell - from what I understand your car is sounding just fine buddy.....
thank you sir...

btw, i saw your message on eca about possibly selling your setup? who knows, you might have a buyer...hehe.

/end hijack

Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 AM   #40
rcurley55

Quote:
Originally Posted by low
thank you sir...

btw, i saw your message on eca about possibly selling your setup? who knows, you might have a buyer...hehe.

/end hijack
pm me after ces