E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2005, 01:28 AM   #41
RSPDiver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SC
Posts: 32
My Ride: 04 IR ZHP
Okay, who wants to be the one that make some money producing 5.25 and 6.5 inch rings?
RSPDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:36 AM   #42
ca1242
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Burke, VA
Posts: 7,635
My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergeek
That's pretty slick. Can you tell me more about how you did the V1 remote display? I have a V1 also and the previous owner of my new-to-me 330Ci did me the favor of putting a hardwire connection in for his V1 up near the top of the windscreen.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=164294
__________________
ca1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #43
bikergeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Belmont MA
Posts: 283
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242
Wow, pretty amazing. That was a lot of work. Bit (well, a lot, frankly) beyond my skills, I'm afraid. But thanks for sharing!
bikergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:14 AM   #44
dan4081
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: florida
Posts: 425
My Ride: 2000 323i
Amazon has the best price I've seen for the Jasper circle Jig-plus free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
If you dont want to do your own rings check out Able-audio-They sell all sizes of rings:
http://shop.able-audio.com/index.php...f5220b80cec2bc
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #45
3onDubs
Registered User
 
3onDubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: yes
Posts: 6,884
My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081
Amazon has the best price I've seen for the Jasper circle Jig-plus free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
If you dont want to do your own rings check out Able-audio-They sell all sizes of rings:
http://shop.able-audio.com/index.php...f5220b80cec2bc
Thanks for the link...I saw the same exact rings on ebay for $9 and I think shipping was $8. I'm not sure if these would work though...these are the specs:

6.5" Speaker Ring - 3/4" MDF - 5 1/8" Cutout - 6 1/2" Outside Diameter

My first thought is that the inner ring (5 1/8) isn't big enough, and my second thought is that the outer ring should provide some more room. Lastly, you'd probably have to buy three sets in order to bring out the speaker at least 2 inches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPDiver
Okay, who wants to be the one that make some money producing 5.25 and 6.5 inch rings?
Seriously...i second that, I'd rather buy the rings themselves than buy a rotozip that I would probably only use once...

...I mean, if I had the cut out already made and a handy router (hint hint), I could probably produce a few perfect rings for my fellow fanatics (for a few bucks of course)...
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #46
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,480
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by low
nice work. i may move my speakers to the door from the panel eventually perhaps it will get me higher scores at competitions
Hold on, weren't you telling me to cut my door when I was planning on how to mount my speakers to the door? And you have not done this yourself? That's messed up
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:00 PM   #47
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,480
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I can make some rings sometime next week and ship before new years. $7 each pair doesn't matter what size. Shipping will be $7.80 via USPS Priority. I use a flat rate box so the rate is the same no matter how many you buy, provided they fit in the box.

Email me at bigjae1976@hotmail.com if you want some.

Specify the following:

Inner diameter
Outer diamter
Thickness
Quantity
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 PM   #48
3onDubs
Registered User
 
3onDubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: yes
Posts: 6,884
My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
I can make some rings sometime next week and ship before new years. $7 each pair doesn't matter what size. Shipping will be $7.80 via USPS Priority. I use a flat rate box so the rate is the same no matter how many you buy, provided they fit in the box.

Email me at bigjae1976@hotmail.com if you want some.

Specify the following:

Inner diameter
Outer diamter
Thickness
Quantity
You're a lifesaver...sent you an email
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 PM   #49
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,480
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs
You're a lifesaver...sent you an email
Replied
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:46 PM   #50
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: san diego
Posts: 2,027
My Ride: is outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Hold on, weren't you telling me to cut my door when I was planning on how to mount my speakers to the door? And you have not done this yourself? That's messed up
yes, i was there preaching to you to cut your damn doors!! i did cut my doors and they still ARE mounted to the panel..maybe thats the secret
__________________


Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:19 PM   #51
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,480
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by low
yes, i was there preaching to you to cut your damn doors!! i did cut my doors and they still ARE mounted to the panel..maybe thats the secret
Okay, then I retract my prior statement.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 06:10 PM   #52
Ejonezee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 42
My Ride: '02 330 CI
Is there any chance the back of the speaker would be subjected to rain/water seeping past the weatherstripping?
Ejonezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:29 PM   #53
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,480
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I'd suggest dynamatting the inside of the door. You can spray some undercoating or spray dampener in the joints which will seal any opening that water can enter. Also, your mid will sound better.

I believe that the spray form of sound dampening materials (about $20 a can)is a marketing ploy. I have yet to confirm, but every spray product that I've seen remarkably resembles automotive undercoating, which costs $4 a can.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:49 PM   #54
ca1242
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Burke, VA
Posts: 7,635
My Ride: 2003 330i
The speaker will be subjected to moisture, but all speakers are designed to withstand moisture.
__________________
ca1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #55
3onDubs
Registered User
 
3onDubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: yes
Posts: 6,884
My Ride: no
When mounting to the door, is it recomended that all the holes in the door are sealed. For example, the large hole in the middle of the door underneath the weather strip and all of the other random holes that serve absolutely no purpose. I'm going to be putting in CDT EF's which perform optimally in a ported box, good in a sealed box, and average in an open area. Also, how difficult would it be to build a ported enclosure behind the speaker ring and mount that inside the door (if that makes any sense)...maybe using fiberglass if necessary?
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:20 PM   #56
rcurley55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 1,620
My Ride: 2001 IR M3 Coupe
finding enough room for a ported box in a door is an ambitious project - same with sealed - to be more blunt, it's not going to happen in an e46...

most all car audio drivers are designed for infinite baffle installation - that should yield great results.
__________________
Life's too short not to be M-Powered

rcurley55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #57
ca1242
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Burke, VA
Posts: 7,635
My Ride: 2003 330i
DO NOT cover the holes in the bottom of the door cavity! They are drain holes for water that gets in the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs
When mounting to the door, is it recomended that all the holes in the door are sealed. For example, the large hole in the middle of the door underneath the weather strip and all of the other random holes that serve absolutely no purpose. I'm going to be putting in CDT EF's which perform optimally in a ported box, good in a sealed box, and average in an open area. Also, how difficult would it be to build a ported enclosure behind the speaker ring and mount that inside the door (if that makes any sense)...maybe using fiberglass if necessary?
__________________
ca1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #58
3onDubs
Registered User
 
3onDubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: yes
Posts: 6,884
My Ride: no
I see...so basically, the main concern is to provide a solid mounting area with enough sound deadening to prevent rattle. For those of you who have your speakers mounted this way, how much of a difference does it make in sound quality? Is it clearly noticeable, or is it a slight improvement?
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:45 PM   #59
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 11,480
My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs
I see...so basically, the main concern is to provide a solid mounting area with enough sound deadening to prevent rattle. For those of you who have your speakers mounted this way, how much of a difference does it make in sound quality? Is it clearly noticeable, or is it a slight improvement?
You'll never be able to seal the door because of the window so don't worry about that. Yes, solid surface is THE reason why you would mount the speaker to the door vice the door panel.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:03 AM   #60
mister wiggles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,919
My Ride: 2009 335i x-drive
Send a message via AIM to mister wiggles
this thread is neato
mister wiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use