E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
Ali Baba

My Ride: 2005 CLK 320
****Disconnecting My Battery!****

alright i want to disconnect the battery on my 2005 clk 320 because the radio/cd player stopped working and i want to reset it. i can't find the fuse for the stereo or amp or anything so i was going to just disconnect the battery and reconnect it... i wanted to know if this will be safe.

This is the whole battery
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

this is the negative terminal on the battery

this is the positive terminal

Which one should i disconnect... and can i use just a regular socket wrench to take this off?

Thanks in advance.
Ali Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

My Ride: Yamaha R1 + 325i
disconnect the positive, and yes you can use a regular socket... just make sure you dont touch the frame or anything (ground)
Nico3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
voerman

My Ride: 06 MZ4, 06 325XI
Disconnect the NEGATIVE

Always disconnect the negative battery lead. It is much safer than disconnecting the positive because of the potential for your wrench or socket to contact ground - shorting the battery. I know of a guy who lost a finger because his wedding ring came between a socket he was using on the positive terminal and ground (with the negative still connected).

To repeat - always disconnect the negative lead. If you need to disconnect both, do the negative first then the positive. When reconnecting do the positive first, then the negative.

Lou
voerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
lol the positive
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
BlumberB18
/// YoU LoOsE

My Ride: Fast E Fourty 6
Send a message via AIM to BlumberB18
NEGATIVE! - Black one

~* UNDER CONSTRUSTION *~

BlumberB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #6
niL
is on da floor

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to niL
Quote:
Originally Posted by voerman
Always disconnect the negative battery lead. It is much safer than disconnecting the positive because of the potential for your wrench or socket to contact ground - shorting the battery. I know of a guy who lost a finger because his wedding ring came between a socket he was using on the positive terminal and ground (with the negative still connected).

To repeat - always disconnect the negative lead. If you need to disconnect both, do the negative first then the positive. When reconnecting do the positive first, then the negative.

Lou
i 110% agree! i had this happen to me with a tool before however it was insulated, just a slight burn on my finger! always disconnect negative first!

2001 330i rebuilt from the salvage yard
From start to finish...
niL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:17 AM   #7
TravsM3

My Ride: 05' 545i, ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico3k
disconnect the positive, and yes you can use a regular socket... just make sure you dont touch the frame or anything (ground)
Old 12-10-2005, 01:26 AM   #8
Gir

My Ride: .
Quote:
Lou
Fvcking negative.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:46 AM   #9
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
interesting, i never knew this...

i didn't pay much attention in science class, so can someone explain to me why you should disconnect the negative first(i know so it doesn't shock you, but why?)?

and what exactly is a "ground"?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:35 AM   #10
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
disconnect the one with the minus sign

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
voerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
interesting, i never knew this...

i didn't pay much attention in science class, so can someone explain to me why you should disconnect the negative first(i know so it doesn't shock you, but why?)?

and what exactly is a "ground"?
I'll try to make up for your not paying attention in science class.

The negative terminal of you battery is connected to the chassis of the car. This referred to as a "negative ground" system. Almost all car manufacturers do this (there were a few positive ground cars but they are old and very hard to find).

So - almost any bare metal in your car will be connected to the negative terminal of your battery. The effect of this is that if you use a wrench on the positive battery terminal (with the negative still connected) and it touches any bare metal, you will short the battery through the wrench. This is extremely dangerous since the battery can provide a large amount of current. The wrench will get very hot and could seriously burn you. In the worst case, the battery could explode.

If you have a wrench on the negative terminal and it touches bare metal, no harm is done since the negative terminal is already connected to ground. So when working on your battery, disconnect the negative terminal first and make sure the cable you remove can't accidently make contact with the negative terminal.

Lou

Last edited by voerman; 12-10-2005 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #12
FlzRider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: AW 1M
Quote:
I'll try to make up for your not paying attention in science class.

The negative terminal of you battery is connected to the chassis of the car. This referred to as a "negative ground" system. Almost all car manufacturers do this (there were a few positive ground cars but they are old and very hard to find).

So - almost any bare metal in your car will be connected to the negative terminal of your battery. The effect of this is that if you use a wrench on the positive battery terminal (with the negative still connected) and it touches any bare metal, you will short the battery through the wrench. This is extremely dangerous since the battery can provide a large amount of current. The wrench will get very hot and could seriously burn you. In the worst case, the battery could explode.

If you have a wrench on the negative terminal and it touches bare metal, no harm is done since the negative terminal is already connected to ground. So when working on your battery, disconnect the negative terminal first and make sure the cable you remove can't accidently make contact with the negative terminal.

Lou
Everything made sense here except for the end, did you mean to say "and make sure the cable you remove can't accidently make contact with the *POSITIVE* terminal."?

FlzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
I was like my battery terminal doesn't look like that, but then I noticed it's a Mercedes and NOT a BMW.

So, by now you should know to disconnect the negative first.

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:26 AM   #14
voerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider
Everything made sense here except for the end, did you mean to say "and make sure the cable you remove can't accidently make contact with the *POSITIVE* terminal."?
I meant the NEGATIVE terminal. The wire is fairly stiff and will try to "return" to the terminal after it is disconnected. I usually wedge it behind or under something so it can't accidently make contact with the negative terminal. If it did, and you didn't notice, it could ruin your day.

Lou
Old 01-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
BMW04E46

My Ride: 2004 325Ci SMG
i always forget which one has to be disconnected first LOL, thanks!
1997 Mercedes Benz C280 Sport (Sold and got 2002 530i Sport!) :-)
2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser (WaveRunner)
see my garage for pics

How a Rogue IKON should look on a M-Tech II Coupe
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=537372
BMW04E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #16
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider View Post
It would also be bad for the Negative cable to make contact with the Positive terminal. However, as Lou indicated, the cables are pretty stiff and there usually isn't a lot of slack in them, so it would be difficult for the Negative cable to accidentaly reach the Positive terminal.

But if the Negative cable isn't pinned out of the way as Lou described (or sheathed with an insulator, or the terminal is covered) it's actually likely to "wander" back and lay against the Negative terminal, re-closing the circuit. If you start to do some work on the car, the realization that there IS, in fact, electricity being supplied by the battery circuit (when you thought there wasn't) is often surprisingly painful and impressively destructive.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote