E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
chakhaeboy

My Ride: 08 335I & 09 Z4
MotoGP VS Formula One

Hi. I dunno how many of you watch MotoGP but I notice that at the same track F1 cars run respectively 30 seconds faster than MotoGP bikes. I know for bikes, they do have to break earlier than cars and little bit lose time during corner. Can anybody be more specific why 250+hp bike that is less than 350 pound lose 30 or more second to 750+hp and 1500lb?
chakhaeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
GeorgeE46

My Ride: '03 325i
braking and turns. THey cant brake as fast and cannot take corners as fast. Look at the difference in their center of gravity and tire contact patches in the turns.
GeorgeE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:21 AM   #3
jsedlak

My Ride: 2002 325i
Send a message via AIM to jsedlak Send a message via MSN to jsedlak
Yep... Think about all the rubber a Formula 1 car has on the ground, not to forget all the downforce it generates. I bike has two small tyres and a high CoG relative to its size.
jsedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
rnitti

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325I
Yea, It really comes down to the amount of rubber that each can put on the ground. Since the F1 car has four large contact patches vs. two smaller ones in the Moto GP's case, the F1 car can brake later and accelerate more quickly because the forces that are generated by the brakes and engine can be controlled by the larger contact area of the tires. RACER Magazine had a great artical where they comparied the Rossi's Moto GP bike and Schmacher's F1 car on the same track. They broke down braking points and acceleration points. Also, the F1 car has a tremedous areodynamic advantage (down force and aero balance) that allows areo enhancement in addition to the mechanical grip. The bike and rider are not areo effeicent especally in knee down turns.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:49 PM   #5
chakhaeboy

hey we all drive 325i keke
Old 11-22-2005, 06:50 PM   #6
GeorgeE46

My Ride: '03 325i
I think the real question is which one is more fun.
GeorgeE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
Qwietstorm

My Ride: 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to Qwietstorm
Driving a F1 car has to be a blast, but watching F1 races is like watching cars rust!
Qwietstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
S2Krazy
A Flammable Plumber

My Ride: ****ED UP CL
Send a message via AIM to S2Krazy Send a message via MSN to S2Krazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwietstorm
Driving a F1 car has to be a blast, but watching F1 races is like watching cars rust!
yeah sure buddy .

btw f1 cars from last season had around 850-900 bhp
S2Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #9
Qwietstorm

850+ HP makes something interesting to watch? How can it be fun watching 850+ HP cars run single file all day? Its like watching a game of pre-school follow the leader. No one passes, the cars almost drive themselves they're so technologically advanced. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome machines, I respect their power, downforce, and technology, but its just not interesting to watch.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:36 AM   #10
GJPizzo

My Ride: GS300, 997S
I dont know what season you watched but it was alot more exciting this year than 2004. And there was definitly alot of passing and battling. Maybe not always for first place but definitly for 2nd and third. What about that race in San Marino where it came down to the very end.
GJPizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #11
Qwietstorm

Ok I'll give you that...that particular race was pretty good. But to have only 1 or 2 exciting races over the course of a season is pretty bad. Its a competitive sport, means competition should happen on a regular basis...not once in a blue moon.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:40 AM   #12
S2Krazy
A Flammable Plumber

My Ride: ****ED UP CL
Send a message via AIM to S2Krazy Send a message via MSN to S2Krazy
you must be watching diff formula 1 from what i`m watching .
S2Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #13
GJPizzo

My Ride: GS300, 997S
Umm what about the race when Kimi started in last place and then won. I forgot where that was but it was towards the end.

There was a race where Button passed Shumi.

race where Montoya and Alonso were duking it out for 2nd.

I thought this was a great season for excitment. Usually it was just Michael at the pole and then him with a 30 second lead and everyone else in the back
GJPizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:41 PM   #14
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

My Ride: E46
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJPizzo
Umm what about the race when Kimi started in last place and then won. I forgot where that was but it was towards the end.
Suzuka circuit, Japan.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #15
323sloth

My Ride: likes full throttle
alot of the time a moto gp bike has only one wheel on the ground
-just after apex the front wheel is hovering off the ground whilst on the throttle, then braking to the corner the rear is off the ground and trying to overtake the rear.

what was the race where kimi's flat spot destroyed his front end? that was a cool race. pretty good season all up.

did anyone catch m schumacher on the ducati motogp bike, he was around twenty seconds off the pace, while rossi in the ferrari, at the fiorana(?) test track, was only 3 seconds off the lap record... food for thought.
323sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:32 AM   #16
TitanSilber ZHP

My Ride: 08 E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to TitanSilber ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to TitanSilber ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323sloth

did anyone catch m schumacher on the ducati motogp bike, he was around twenty seconds off the pace, while rossi in the ferrari, at the fiorana(?) test track, was only 3 seconds off the lap record... food for thought.

There was a Fifth Gear video where Tiff drove a Williams F1 car. He stated that the cars were now so well sorted that almost any young driver could be a few seconds off Michael's pace, but the last bit of time is very dificult to find. The danger also has to be considered, a modern F1 car is far safer than a bike, so I am sure Valentino was much more comfortable in the car than MS was on the bike....food for thought

FS: Camera Mount:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=694858
TitanSilber ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:30 AM   #17
turn9

My Ride: 06 M3 SMG//M, 1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnitti
Also, the F1 car has a tremedous areodynamic advantage (down force and aero balance) that allows areo enhancement in addition to the mechanical grip. The bike and rider are not areo effeicent especally in knee down turns.
Good description. At WSIR, intermediate drivers are a good 20s faster than the race group for our motorcycles. As he mentioned, grip, grip, grip. Not to mention that a F1 car at speed is able to drive upside down by the down force that is generated. There is a Andretti DVD out that goes through the technology, good stuff!
turn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:02 PM   #18
MrBlonde

My Ride: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwietstorm
850+ HP makes something interesting to watch? How can it be fun watching 850+ HP cars run single file all day? Its like watching a game of pre-school follow the leader. No one passes, the cars almost drive themselves they're so technologically advanced. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome machines, I respect their power, downforce, and technology, but its just not interesting to watch.
Couldn't agree more. the only sport more boring than golf.

MotoGP is just so much more exciting, no contest whatsoever IMO.

See the E46F Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube.

Everything you need to know about Drag Racing your BMW street car
MrBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:41 PM   #19
chakhaeboy

yea in mid-way through of racing i get kinda sleepy and my eyes are like half open.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:46 PM   #20
chakhaeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
Couldn't agree more. the only sport more boring than golf.

You are wrong on that one