E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 03:32 AM   #1
Aum003

My Ride: 2004 Infiniti G35
02 325i tail lights to newer 04/05

i wanted to know if i can change the 02 325i tail assembly to the 04/05 assembly. I like the way the lights assembly looks compared to mine. will the newer 04/05 assembly fit in my 02? They look like they would just pop right in, but im not sure.
Aum003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
gsxr mixxer
Wish it was an M3

My Ride: 03, 325i
taillights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aum003
i wanted to know if i can change the 02 325i tail assembly to the 04/05 assembly. I like the way the lights assembly looks compared to mine. will the newer 04/05 assembly fit in my 02? They look like they would just pop right in, but im not sure.
yup they will fit. i have a set for sale also. PM me if you are interested
gsxr mixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
There are some voltage and wiring differences. Physically, the the new lights will fit, but electrically they are different. It is completely possible but you will need to get a bit "creative" with the wiring.

If you do get a set of the new style lights, make sure the bulb carriers come with it or you'll be screwed. Plus you'll need to either buy new harnesses or solder directly into the new carriers.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
gsxr mixxer
Wish it was an M3

my understanding he was just talking about the housing. i dont think he meant led. you would keep your stock bulbs right?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
Aum003

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr mixxer
my understanding he was just talking about the housing. i dont think he meant led. you would keep your stock bulbs right?
yea i'll keep the standard bulbs, LED would be great, but I don't know if i have the patience to switch up.

(just to clarify, its the 99-02 model 325i)

Last edited by Aum003; 12-17-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
Aum003

Basically I just want the newer 02-05 taillight assembly for visual appeal. I like the way it looks at night when the bulbs are on. I was hoping I could just literally put the new housing in, and then take the current bulbs and insert them in the corresponding location. (i.e brake light -> brake light, reverse light -> reverse, etc...)
Old 12-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
Canuck328i

Quote:
I'm not talking about LEDs, I never said anything about that. I'm talking about switching the regular bulb prefacelift housing with a regular bulb facelift housing (which is what he wants to do). There are a number of differences, it isn't that easy to do unless you have the new style bulb carriers and the know-how to rewire the whole thing.

When I say "voltage" differences, it has to do with the parking light configuration. One style uses a 5 watt bulb at 12 volts for the parking light bulb, the other uses a 21 watt bulb at 6 volts.

Mark
Old 12-17-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
Aum003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck328i
I'm not talking about LEDs, I never said anything about that. I'm talking about switching the regular bulb prefacelift housing with a regular bulb facelift housing (which is what he wants to do). There are a number of differences, it isn't that easy to do unless you have the new style bulb carriers and the know-how to rewire the whole thing.

When I say "voltage" differences, it has to do with the parking light configuration. One style uses a 5 watt bulb at 12 volts for the parking light bulb, the other uses a 21 watt bulb at 6 volts.

Mark

what is the best way to solve the voltage differences? are there any line converters that can solve this issue?
Old 12-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #9
gsxr mixxer
Wish it was an M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck328i

Mark
ahh i see.....as far as changing them out, the posibilities are endless as long as you are willing to modify your car. if you like it do it
Old 12-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #10
Canuck328i

Quote:
ahh i see.....as far as changing them out, the posibilities are endless as long as you are willing to modify your car. if you like it do it
Absolutely agreed. Just need to be creative. (And for the record I'll be doing this exact mod in the spring.)

Mark