E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
e46proph

im overheating!!!

so i picked up a 99 323i e46 manual trans and it has s few minor issues... had to replace smog pump compression hose, had a hole in my air box so i installed a short ram air intake, oil hadn't been changed in years... had GM coolant in it so i flushed it out and put bmw coolant in it and changed the oil and it seemed to rein like a completely different car from the day i got it... bout a week into me driving it on the way to work i noticed she was steaming and then my t stat shot all the way up over heating then it died... popped the hood and i noticed i was shooting a lot of steam out of my top radiator hose where it connects to the expansion tank... i immediately replaced it with a new one filled it back up with coolant but she's still overheating prior to this happening i had no issues with the temp... and its not jus running hot... the temp light comes on after the car running after 5 mins of driving no matter how i place the rpms... help!!!
e46proph is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:58 AM   #2
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
You have air in your system.
Google the procedure of how to bleed it l.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
Forum user Mango has made a helpful instructional video just for you:
BMW CCA Member #480924

Last edited by EthirD; 07-21-2016 at 09:38 AM.
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46proph View Post
... i noticed she was steaming and then my t stat shot all the way up over heating then it died... .... the temp light comes on after the car running after 5 mins of driving no matter how i place the rpms... help!!!
I assume that you mean the temperature gauge. (The thermostat and the temperature gauge are two very different things.)

I suspect that you may have killed it (warped head/warped block/failed head gasket) when you continued to drive it while it was overheating until the engine stalled. Running it now all the way up the gauge till it hits the red is also a very bad idea. You should always stop before it gets that far.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
e46proph

thx so i just bled the air out the system. but of course another problem popped up. almost immediately after i started it back up i started getting smoke coming from what looks like my O2 sensor above the headers... i have already purchased a valve cover gasket because i knew needed one could this be the problem?
Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
mpvue

My Ride: '04 325xi stick
Quote:
thx so i just bled the air out the system. but of course another problem popped up. almost immediately after i started it back up i started getting smoke coming from what looks like my O2 sensor above the headers... i have already purchased a valve cover gasket because i knew needed one could this be the problem?
you probably cracked or warped the head.

sorry.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
e46proph

if thats the case what do you suggest?
Old 07-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
if thats the case what do you suggest?
Replace engine.