E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
AntrellV

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Vanos diy?

Just want some opinions here.. Do you guys think it's a good idea to do VANOS seals myself or should I find a shop? I called a few shops to ask them for a quote and some acted like they don't even know what VANOS is! I know a lot of you'll say "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't" but I would like to know how easy or hard it really is to DIY replacement of VANOS seals
AntrellV is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
orb

My Ride: is a meme in ot
It's not hard, just lots of wrenching. Beisan has a great guide. If you can follow instructions and turn a wrench you can do this.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Welcome to the flock, you piece of ****.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
I'm preparing to do it myself. All you need is time & patience, and the ability to follow instructions. Plus the tools & parts of course. Shop charge on meticulous jobs like component rebuilds such as brake calipers & VANOS will kill you. You should do this yourself. Take your time on it and do a good job. You can't be assured the guy at the shop will care as much as you do about it, and be as persnickety about being gentle with all the little parts. Save the shop for the grunt work like suspension and the like.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
You guys won't have any problems doing it. Just take your time and be ready for a small mess.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
e460_rob

My Ride: 2000 330ci Conv
Just remember when attempting the repair, before picking up a tool, get your bowl of warm-hot water and let the seals soften before installing, you will thank me for this later. If you dont soften you will make like harder for yourself.
e460_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Study the Beisan guide. Read it several times. Then print it out and have it when you perform the job. Follow all their recommendations (such as buying spare reverse threaded bolts)! They are recommended because of common errors or failures and are cheap. BUY the VANOS gasket! Use a brand new Xacto knife blade to cut the old seals. Do it slowly. Buy all new VCG grommets. Buy new valve cover studs if you're scared of breaking them (or maybe just a few for spares, you can't possibly break them all). Red RTV is a requirement.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the color of their coolant.

Last edited by WDE46; 04-25-2015 at 10:13 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Cheapbimmer

My Ride: 330ci
It's really not that hard of a job, just a little time consuming. There are a couple youtube videos out there and as mentioned already the beisan guide is pretty good.

If you're anything like me, it won't be just the vanos and valve cover gaskets. It'll morph into replacing more parts than anticipated!!! At the end of the day, you'll have a much happier car and your wallet won't feel as hurt either!
Cheapbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Just finished mine, easy job. Keep in mind the small VANOS set bolts are LH threaded. Make sure your torque wrench can do LH threads. Mine did not, and I was a bone head, and broke one of the set bolts waiting for my Torque Wrench to click not knowing ahead of time that it did not click on LH thread operations. In addition to the guides recommended, you can search e46 vanos on youtube. Be sure to have something to catch oil that will come out when you pull the vanos off, but that should be in the guides when you read it. Make sure you clean up the electrical contacts for the solenoids too, if these get dirty, it can cause you all kinds of headaches chasing down codes and what not.

Links
Buyers Guide
Nuts and Bolts
Behr Radiator Issue
Clean Your Dirty Wheels

2003 Touring 325 XiT (KJ's Ride)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Mrs. KJ's Ride)

Last edited by KaktusJaque; 04-25-2015 at 11:20 AM.
KaktusJaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
Serega91

My Ride: 00' 323i
Watch your fingers when cutting the seals
Old 04-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #10
evanr614

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Doing mine soon also, not expecting it to be much of anything but time consuming with the use of Beisan Systems guide. Still need to pick up some spark plugs and a vanos gasket.
EDIT: I thought I purchased a gasket already...found it in the bottom of an ECS box. Shame on me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	598590  

Last edited by evanr614; 04-25-2015 at 02:43 PM.
evanr614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaktusJaque View Post
Make sure your torque wrench can do LH threads. Mine did not, and I was a bone head, and broke one of the set bolts waiting for my Torque Wrench to click not knowing ahead of time that it did not click on LH thread operations.
Kaktus, you didn't by chance use a Harbor Fright Pittsburgh brand 3/8" torque wrench did you. Because that's what I have.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
cosmos328Ci

My Ride: 328Ci -M54B30 on E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntrellV View Post
Just want some opinions here.. Do you guys think it's a good idea to do VANOS seals myself or should I find a shop? I called a few shops to ask them for a quote and some acted like they don't even know what VANOS is! I know a lot of you'll say "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't" but I would like to know how easy or hard it really is to DIY replacement of VANOS seals
It was not too hard to complete.
If you follow the guides that has been put up you will achieve this easily.

Just in case you might be interested, Here is a link of my old girls Vanos Seals compared to the new installed seals.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...059&highlight=

All the best.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
Kaktus, you didn't by chance use a Harbor Fright Pittsburgh brand 3/8" torque wrench did you. Because that's what I have.
No its a craftsman! would have thought better of them.

Links
Buyers Guide
Nuts and Bolts
Behr Radiator Issue
Clean Your Dirty Wheels

Old 04-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

Another note, be sure to clean out your solenoid pistons. If any little bit of debris gets in there, your going to throw codes and SES lights.

Links
Buyers Guide
Nuts and Bolts
Behr Radiator Issue
Clean Your Dirty Wheels

Old 04-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #15
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
Be very careful when cutting the old seals off. It is easy to scratch the edge of the soft aluminum groove they sit in.