E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
forzam

My Ride: 04 325Ci
Socket or t wrench for tap

I need to helicoil an OFH bolt hole. The tap is huge and wont fit on my twrench. Can I use a socket wrench or should I get a bigger t wrench?
forzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
invisible man
Banned User

My Ride: invisible car
Never use a wrench for tapping unless you want the first 2-3 threads of the hole to be oversize and out of alignment. T-handle only.

Last edited by invisible man; 04-25-2015 at 02:52 PM.
invisible man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
Skunk0001

My Ride: E46
Depending which hole it is, you might be able to get away with not having to coil it. The OFHG bolt holes into the block are blind, but (on my last car at least) they are drilled and tapped deeper than the stock bolts reach, about 10mm on the top two, 8mm on the middle two and 4mm on the bottom two.

I stripped the top left and in the end just got a washerless bolt from the dealer that was 5mm longer than stock (giving 7mm more reach total) and it torqued up and held fine.

You probably want to measure the holes in your block to be sure, you could use a straw, or you could use the long bolt in the stripped hole and measure how far you can thread it in, make sure to leave yourself with at least 2mm spare depth though.

OR, just put in a threaded rod in finger-tight till it stops and put a locking nut on the other end to hold the OFH on. Would probably want to loctite it in though to stop it backing out when torquing the nut on.

Good luck, I was glad I didn't need to tap it, let me know if you would like the part numbers of the longer bolts.
Skunk0001 is offline   Reply With Quote