E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
halp!

H&F fanatics, need some advice.

BLUF: not sure if I just need to rest for a while or if I need to see a doc

Background: My right shoulder has never really given me problems before, but it has always been "noisy". Cracks and pops all the time, sometimes with pain, sometimes not. Dad had really bad joints.

Past six months I've started taking the gym seriously, my workouts prior have typically been body weight/calisthenics/cardio, with a sprinkling of lifting here and there.

Bench pressing today, normal workout weight, nothing crazy, didn't get through a set and a half before my right shoulder couldn't put up anything more. Barely got a 5th rep up in the second set. Chest and arms felt fine, it was just my shoulder that couldn't do any more. Dropped weight by 40 lbs and was fine. Did reverse grip bench with normal weight and was fine for three sets.

I've noticed a similar problem over the past month or so, where my right shoulder feels weak on presses/flys, but it hasn't actually kept me from completing a workout before.

Since I've been thinking about it, I realize I had a similar issue earlier this month during a PT test (Army PT test is 2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of situps, 2 mile run for those who don't know), got out high 50's in pushups and my shoulder wouldn't do any more. I could have probably done 20 or so more had my shoulder kept up. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I am.

I hate going to the doctor, especially for something like this where I'm not really in any pain. What do we think, should I just take it easy for a little while and see how it does? Target the shoulder and strengthen it? Or go see a doc/orthopod and see what they say?
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
hows your form on the bench. I know if you have flaired elbows it will put a lot of stress on it. Does it hurt when doing overhead press. push ups, and all that sh1t?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
NOVAbimmer

it doesn't hurt, but it feels weak doing pushups. Overhead press doesn't seem to have an issue, but incline bench is the same as flat/decline

Form on the bench is good, IMO, I can try to grab a video if you want, but I try to imagine squeezing an orange in my armpits while doing bench to keep my elbows around 45*.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
it doesn't hurt, but it feels weak doing pushups. Overhead press doesn't seem to have an issue, but incline bench is the same as flat/decline

Form on the bench is good, IMO, I can try to grab a video if you want, but I try to imagine squeezing an orange in my armpits while doing bench to keep my elbows around 45*.
That's pretty good then. Maybe just see what the right dr says. I know how to not get you injured I'm not too good with fixing you other than saying rest up on the movements that irritate it.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
NOVAbimmer

I really wish the guy who I saw for my knee in college was still in practice, he was outstanding. His bedside manner sucked, but he was never wrong. He was like House for joints.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
I would cut out barbell presses and flyes all together. Use dumbbells for your presses. Try holding them at different angles to alleviate the pain.

To maintain shoulder health you should be using a 2:1 pull to press ratio. Meaning for every 1 pressing exercise, you should be doing 2 pulling exercises. I like a 3:1 ratio personally. But I prob have different goals than yourself.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
I would cut out barbell presses and flyes all together. Use dumbbells for your presses. Try holding them at different angles to alleviate the pain.

To maintain shoulder health you should be using a 2:1 pull to press ratio. Meaning for every 1 pressing exercise, you should be doing 2 pulling exercises. I like a 3:1 ratio personally. But I prob have different goals than yourself.

Where did you get that ratio from. I have never heard it. Not saying it's wrong just interested.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Where did you get that ratio from. I have never heard it. Not saying it's wrong just interested.

I've seen it a lot here and there from different trainers. Eric Cressey (expert in shoulders) might've been one of them. A good friend of mine who's a former S&C coach for Bentley college and also played pro football also preaches it. I tend to listen when he talks cuz he's a freak... Lol

Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
I had a similar issue with my shoulder. Actually I injured it again few weeks ago. Go for PT for 2-4 months. That helped me alot. Insurance covers part of it.

With Leezy here, most people overdo pressing shoulder exercises. I would not say pulling Vs pressing, but focus more on rear and mid delts. Avoid BB until you feel better as it will aggravate it more than DBs.

Get a rubber band, stretch shoulders twice a day for 15min. Many videos online to show you sample moves. Foam rolling also would help a lot.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
NOVAbimmer

I love my foam roller. I think I still have my rubber bands from the last time I was in PT