E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 PM   #1
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
DIY: Fender Rolling

Well today GIO_21 and I were bored, so we adjusted my coilovers and washed the cars, then sat and did nothing... after realizing that both of our cars had rubbing problems in the rear, we decided to roll our fenders, hehe.

Step 1: Remove the filling under the fender

Our cars have this rubberish filling between the fender and lip preventing the fender from being rolled competely. You have to remove as much of it as you can in order to begin rolling. We used a small flathead and an hours worth of elbow grease to get it most of it out. My car was a pain in the ass since I had so much of the filling, and it was so hard to come out. GIO's car had less filling and it came out with the touch of a finger, lucky bastard, lol. Well anyways, just get as much out as possible so that you can feel the sharp edge of the fender. You have to jack up your car and put it on a jackstand to work at it, unless you want to just remove your wheel.

Step 2: Find an old baseball bat and some fat friends

Luckily Gio plays baseball, so he had a ton of bats, we just grabbed an old beat up one.

Jack the car up and place the bat between the tire and fender, then lower the jack completely so that the bat is now stuck between the tire and fender. Make sure you place the bat at either the front or rear of the rear fender.

Open your trunk and get a few of your bigger buddies to sit on the trunk ledge so that the car sinks and puts even more pressure on the bat between the tire and fender.

Step 3: Roll it!

Find a trustworthy friend and have him hold the bat and press down on it, getting it as vertical as possible. Turn on your car and keep the door or window open so you can communicate with your trusty friend. If you placed the bat at the front of the fender, but your car in reverse and slowly roll it backwards while your trusty friend pressed the bat and moves with it as it rolls along the fender backwards. Do the same if you placed the bat at the rear of the fender, except with the car in 1st gear or Drive if you have a step.

Repeat this about 3 or 4 times. Jack up your car and remove the bat. Your fender should now be rolled!

Some people may consider this way cheap and stupid, but it definatley worked for us, and it saved us the time and money of getting it done at a shop. Our fenders did not have any paint crack or anything, and there was no visible difference outside. However, the metal under the fender is now rolled upwards noticeably, and we both no longer have rubbing problems

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
e46baller

My Ride: 00' 328ci
Send a message via AIM to e46baller
amazing....I will consider this!!!! and put it in my favorites
Old 12-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
M3LTDOWN

My Ride: Range Rover on 22's
Send a message via AIM to M3LTDOWN Send a message via MSN to M3LTDOWN
Very creative!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
im trying to get a visual of all this happening....i cant...some pics would have been awesome.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
gsxrbb

My Ride: 04 Cobra
i did this when i was like 18....
gsxrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
hahhaha, David, that should be interesting.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
amunoz27e

My Ride: 325ci
Sounds interesting, and very creative, but if I have to roll my fenders, I think I would just buy the tool from tirerack or take it to a shop.
amunoz27e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
lol once I got most of that crap filling out, I could see exactly what had to be done, and how easily it could be done. Ken, if you ride out to tropical tomorrow, check out mine or gios fenders, hehe.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:55 PM   #9
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
sounds scary haha - post up some pictures of the beating

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #10
Robbyrh10

My Ride: 2006 530/M-Tech
damn i wouldnt have the guts to try that.... NICE
Old 01-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #11
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to LAFENGAS
sounds funny as hell to watch.
LAFENGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #12
UA///M3

My Ride: 2002 M3
you also have to be very carful when dropping the car down, as too not let the bat make a huge dent in the quarter.

And if you dont have a trusty friend, rather then rolling the car, you can roll the bat instead by your self.

Another precation for paint is to heat it up, preferably with a heat gun till its hot. A hair dryer will work, but you will be heating it u for a while.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
3onDubs

My Ride: no
This sounds exactly like what the guy at HW Motorsports did with my car. I payed $100 for both fenders (got ripped off, coulda done it myself). He comes out with a big metal bar (not as thick as a baseball bat). He pops the trunk, tells me and my buddy to sit on the edge of the trunk, and then he starts prying up the fender with the metal bat. Took about 5 minutes for each side. Cheap@ss shop didn't tell me that this was their version of a "professional fender roll"....my fault for not asking. I still get some rubbing in the back, but there is no visible wear on the outer tire wall...the tire is probably rubbing on the inner edge.
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #14
Ridin' Dirty

My Ride: E90 330i ZSP,ZPP
I tried that baseball bat sh*t with my E30 and f****d up both rear quarters doing it.
Ridin' Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:47 AM   #15
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #16
freshprince2421

Exclamation Tried to send you a PM Active (your box is full)

I'm in the same boat and it looks like I need to remove the liner before I can roll the fender.

What purpose does the liner serve and by removing it what potential problems would I have to deal with?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #17
freshprince2421

Cool

anybody know?!?!?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #18
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
I'm guessing to prevent rust?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #19
promp3

My Ride: e36
The bat trick has been around forever, but I could never actually figure out how it worked untill I read this write up, it all makes sence now!

That "filling" is called under coat... or at least that is what you call it if you don't want to sound like you have no idea what you are talking about. you can get is a spray can but what the factory uses is actually more like spray-on seam sealer.

Its there for weather proofing, and road noise.(and to weight the car down so it goes slower.)
If you diddnt have it all over the car it would sound like you were riding in a snare drum.

The only thing removing under coating from that spot would hurt is if you plan on driving on salt roads it could be a big problem with rust becasue that is a prime spot for it.

I just used a plastic hammer on my fender lips and it came out so perfect it was not very hard either, I diddnt completely smash them though I just got it out of the way.

It would probably be a smart idea to put tape or mark the bat so the bat veries in thickness, so you can go at it more gradually and controlled, rather than going from nothing to fully smashed in one roll.

Last edited by promp3; 02-12-2008 at 03:24 AM.
promp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:17 AM   #20
freshprince2421

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish_328Ci View Post
I'm guessing to prevent rust?
hmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by promp3 View Post
The bat trick has been around forever, but I could never actually figure out how it worked untill I read this write up, it all makes sence now!

That "filling" is called under coat... or at least that is what you call it if you don't want to sound like you have no idea what you are talking about. you can get is a spray can but what the factory uses is actually more like spray-on seam sealer.

Its there for weather proofing, and road noise.(and to weight the car down so it goes slower.)
If you diddnt have it all over the car it would sound like you were riding in a snare drum.

The only thing removing under coating from that spot would hurt is if you plan on driving on salt roads it could be a big problem with rust becasue that is a prime spot for it.

I just used a plastic hammer on my fender lips and it came out so perfect it was not very hard either, I diddnt completely smash them though I just got it out of the way.
Well since I don't live in an area that get's any snow I guess I shouldn't be too concerned. If I wanted to reapply new undercoating how would I do that?

Thanks for the info.