E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
6strings

My Ride: 2000 328ci
remove interior trim scratches

what can i do to clean up the interior.. i have that darker brown wood trim for my '00 328 coupe.. it has some like etchings and such almost like a cars paint that has etchings and swirls..

also i have some scratches on the sunglass and ashtray opening door thing.. its very noticable in the sunlight and it juss ticks me off..

i want a nice clean interior with the clean look...

thanx.. and happy holidays btw! =]
6strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
wildpanda86

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I have the same problem too, on my sunglass hoder, around the shifter, and the door handles.

my guess it replace the scratched pieces.
wildpanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
6strings

ehh.. i just hate my cars interior.. its getting to look old and such.. its pretty clean its just the dash and the door panels are starting to lose its black and its starting to look like dry and pale.. i love my car for having black/black/black but its juss the interior is starting to lose its color and fullness.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
The 303 Aerospace Protectant gives the vinyl, plastic, rubber pieces and more valuable protection and a nice appearance. It has SPF 40 to help prevent UV fading on those areas and to give it a nice glossy appearance but it doesn't have that thick oily feel to it. I also use it in an engine detail for the cases around parts and any exposed hoses as well as tires and plastic trim.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #5
Keem

My Ride: MB e320/Pink Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
The 303 Aerospace Protectant gives the vinyl, plastic, rubber pieces and more valuable protection and a nice appearance. It has SPF 40 to help prevent UV fading on those areas and to give it a nice glossy appearance but it doesn't have that thick oily feel to it. I also use it in an engine detail for the cases around parts and any exposed hoses as well as tires and plastic trim.

Greg @ Detailed Image
The question is, does it remove swirls from the trim?
Keem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage.com

No it will not remove swirls from the trim.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 12-26-2005, 10:20 PM   #7
6strings

will that stuff clean and bring back the black in my dash and other parts of the interior.. do you suggest anything for the trim.. i have the wood trim and you can see the swirls in morning light..

also do you have any suggestions for the door panels? or can i use the 303 that i use for the dash and such for the door panels.. my panels are also black/black and its like a leather look im not totally sure if its real leather but what can i use to bring out the black and make it look like new there too?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:41 PM   #8
Keem

My Ride: MB e320/Pink Jeep
Will anything remove swirls and scratches from the trim, or the plastic on the cluster, because I have scratches on both...
Keem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:34 AM   #9
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings
will that stuff clean and bring back the black in my dash and other parts of the interior.. do you suggest anything for the trim.. i have the wood trim and you can see the swirls in morning light..

also do you have any suggestions for the door panels? or can i use the 303 that i use for the dash and such for the door panels.. my panels are also black/black and its like a leather look im not totally sure if its real leather but what can i use to bring out the black and make it look like new there too?
You can use the 303 Protectant to do a very light cleaning but if you want stains removed and more of a thorough cleaning then I would get the 303 Aerospace Cleaner and Spot Remover which is a great all purpose cleaner. It will give the finish a darker look with a beautiful gloss that makes it look rich. The 303 Protectant works on Leather, Plastic, Fiberglass, Vinyl, Rubber and more so yes it should be great on your panels and dashboard.

For the wood trim I usually clean and polish with Plexus. This is the best plastic cleaner, polisher and protectant for plastic I've ever found. It does a great job cleaning and it has anti-static properties that help repell dust and reduce cleaning time. The Renovo Plastic Polish does a very good job of reducing swirls and scratches on plastic as well. This may be your best option but its hard to know without seeing how bad your swirls are.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 12-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
6strings

Thank you gregs for your input... Ill be sure to purchase my products from you guys. once i get my summer job since im only 16 ill be buying probably the porter cable, one of the bundled kits that includes like everything (washing, claying, polishing, waxing, glass, etc.)

yeah there are no deep stains on my dash and such, its just starting to look old and looking dry.. i want to make it look as if i bought it new.

hope to do business with you guys soon =]

ohh and happy holidays! =P
Old 12-27-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
Greg@DetailedImage.com

I look forward to helping you make the purchase and keep your ride looking great. If you have any questions don't hesistate to post a message here or contact us at www.detailedimage.com.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-01-2006, 08:31 AM   #12
SHICKS

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to SHICKS Send a message via Yahoo to SHICKS
I'm using a combo of 303 protectant and Meguires Quick interior detailer. The Megs procduct leaves a more matte finish, I only use it for quick touch ups, the 303 leaves a better finish overall, but it takes me a little longer to remove to make it have an even finish. I have also used Zaino z-10 leather conditioner on the dash with good results, but a bit pricey for dash treatment.

My car is a 2001 with leather, and it looks pretty good for it's age. I have the scratches in my wood trim, I have not tried to remove them yet, but if I did, I would the polish I have, Poorboys SSR1 by hand with the trim pieces off, then through a coat of AIO + SG.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/...25interior.jpg
SHICKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #13
6strings

^^ wow that looks really clean =]

thanx for all the input.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #14
jpupster

My Ride: e46 323ci, e21 320is
The truth

BMW loves spray paint on plastic. The scratch are from the penetration of a harder surface, hence a scratch.
All plastics used on your Bimmer is paintable. Finding a black to match is the key. It's a satin or flat sheen and tape it, that is, mask out the areas not-to-be painted. You can also use some maskoid (liguid mask, too.)
The (wood-like) trim needs the clear lacquer. Ask a paint shop... The Bimmers all have plastic called Utramid from BASF plastics... it is really nylon a paintable plastic.

jpupster 323ci

Last edited by jpupster; 01-22-2006 at 09:06 AM.
jpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #15
6strings

nice.. thanks. is there any place online or stores that sell this paint? will it match perfectly with the rest of the interior because i dont want it to look different in color with the rest of the interior.