E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2002, 09:08 PM   #1
Derek330xi

My Ride: E46 330xi
Send a message via ICQ to Derek330xi
difference between pioneer and pioneer premeir?

what is the difference between normal pioneer and pioneer premeir car audio systems? i am either going to get the pioneer DEH-P8400MP or the pioneer premeir DEH-P840MP ... the two system looks exactly the same and same spec except one is label pioneer and the other is label premeir and the remote is different. is the premeir quaility better or is just marketing? there is a $100cdn price different.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:45 AM   #2
abefroman

My Ride: 2000 323i
The Premier usually has better components inside. Take a listen sise by side and see if you can hear the $100 difference.
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:30 AM   #3
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
Different warranty too
Old 10-01-2002, 09:54 AM   #4
jaytee0401
Thread Hijacker!!!

My Ride: ur girl!!!
Honestly tho, the pioneer and premier..is basically the same damn thing. About the sound being better in premier, i think its all in the head. The main difference is better warranty, one year longer. It's the same deck with just different tags on the front. Why waste the money to get premier for one more year warranty when it's the same components inside. just my two cent.
jaytee0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 12:57 PM   #5
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
Most of the time, the difference between a product line's "normal" products and its "better" line is legit. Yes, a lot of the additional costs are incurred by the additional marketing and additional waranty benefits, but most of the time there is a legit reason why one is better than the other.

Case in point - Kenwood and its Excelon series. It is my understanding that none of the standard Kenwood headunits have their SystemQ crossover functionality, but all the Excelons do. But there are some regular Kenwood units that cost as much if not more than the Excelons, so what's the deal? SystemQ's provides functionality that an audiophile would want/demand from their headunit, that the mainstream listener wouldn't. That doesn't mean the mainstream user doesn't want flashy features like dot matrix screens or MP3 capability.

Excelon head units also utilize copper components in their circuit boards that allow for the sound signals to be cleaner. They probably use less than optimum materials in their mainstream version.

Summary: most of the time, the differences between a highend version and a low-end version is worth the additional money as the high-end usually has features that are geared towards a more enthusiast type user.

Of course this doesn't apply to cars - I wouldn't buy a Lexus because in the end, it's still just a Toyota...

Just kidding...
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:33 AM   #6
dt32569

My Ride: 330Ci
Premier

I had a Premier Cassette/Tuner/CD Changer controller in my Supra for 8 years and NEVER EVER had a problem with it. I had friends with normal pioneer receivers that did not last half as long. I thought the difference was WELL worth it!!! The components are better, the warranty is better and it will, IMO, last longer - even if it doesn't sound significantly better - I think you'll be owning it significantly LONGER than you would a Pioneer.
dt32569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:05 AM   #7
jaytee0401
Thread Hijacker!!!

My Ride: ur girl!!!
words from a pioneer distributor, "Pioneer and Premier is the same ****. Basically the same components inside. All you pay for is the longer warranty and the name Premier". As for me, i dont worry about my warranty since i have a Pioneer deck. My warranty is even longer than the Premier's. Good to know friends in the right places. haha.
jaytee0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 07:12 AM   #8
FOBGoober

My Ride: 325CI
Send a message via AIM to FOBGoober
FYI.. THe only difference between the 8400 and 840MP is this..
The exterior color... and warranty.. for all those who doubt this there have been plenty of comparisons betweens these 2 decks as well as the 940 and 9400.. do a search on caraudioforum.com and elitecaraudio.com people on both sites have tested them..

THe pioneer output is said to be 4.5 and the preimer is 6.0 but numerous people have put the regular pioneer on a flukemeter and it registered at 6V.. so what are the differences?? nothing except for looks and warranty.. Premier is a 2 year warranty and pioneers is only 1..
FOBGoober is offline   Reply With Quote